positivity boost

positivity boost

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

enetheru

positivity boost

Post by enetheru »

Hi all,

Please reply to this thread with an anecdote of someone doing something that you appreciated(related to spring), I'll go first.

Jk, for not getting personal a while back(I didn't make it easy) and helping me work through some logic/math for my ideas. and merging my pull request... :D
Behe, for some amazing maps to play on.

if you know of something that is less visible, please raise its profile.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: positivity boost

Post by PicassoCT »

Only here a guy like me could be..
and make a game..
elsewhere...
nasty admins, censorships sailing, tech that is company owned or was never really used for a game so you are first.
Nobody ever said stop.
Which is really really cool.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

mmh too many people to thank... nearly everyone I ever asked was helpful.

I'd never have gone anywhere at all without Behe teaching me how to make+compile maps when all I had was a crap old ATI "we hate you (TM)" gpu.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Bibim: writes awesome, easily extensible infrastructure software (SPADS, IRC lobby bridge) -- nothing but friendly and helpful when you ask questions or submit a PR.

gajop: pushing the state of spring games forwards, bit by bit.

SirArturri: absolutely stunning maps that we play constantly for S44. Moro River is so, so beautiful.

abma: taking care of all the infrastructure loose ends -- spring is a really great place to hack on a game thanks to all the supporting release tooling.

have to echo SilentWings, generally speaking I've had loads of positive interactions with other developers and artists. I do think we could stand to be nicer by default, so thank you for doing this enetheru.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

hokomoko for being a mantis hero.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

ikinz from Zero-K and weblobby was happy to provide me with linux profiling data in the past and recently.

It generally seems people are eager to assist you even though their words sometimes seem like the opposite is true.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

people wrote:
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
The way to put it would be:

If I have the ability to see further, it is by standing on the shoulders of.... the stacked work many smart humans made for free!

many of them are listed here:
https://springrts.com/wiki/Authors
https://springrts.com/wiki/About/Organization
smoth

Post by smoth »

That article makes me sad that myself and a few others were left off it. Too late now though, it is like when you are not invited to a party but someone sees you a week later and acts like they wanted to invite you.

*edits to clarify * it isn't about props but it is disheartening to be forgotten
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

smoth wrote:That article makes me sad that myself and a few others were left off it. Too late now though, it is like when you are not invited to a party but someone sees you a week later and acts like they wanted to invite you.

*edits to clarify * it isn't about props but it is disheartening to be forgotten
Think you need an optician :shock:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

And me- i gave spring my all, my drama, my love, i had your decendants - and this is how you repay me. I want to be written on the frontpage in IMPACT 1000 pixels high- and with the 90s gold gif effects, so that everyone knows- this is the one bringing the engine down..
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Outside of this specific thread, i generally find gajop a very positive and helpful guy.
qray

Post by qray »

Silentwings wrote:mmh too many people to thank... nearly everyone I ever asked was helpful.
This!
hokomoko wrote:It generally seems people are eager to assist you even though their words sometimes seem like the opposite is true.
And this!

Picking out a few examples (by far not complete and sorry to everyone I have forgotten!):

I remember Smoth offering help re-texturing one of the first maps I made. In the end, I managed myself to come up with a new texture, but I thought "what a helpful crowd here". Also, I build upon a lot of information and stuff shared by him and Beherith.
Enetheru made the nice Blender heightmap tutorial video to help me. And is still improving mapping tools/options.
In general, big thanks to everyone making the mapping wiki pages what they are! :-)

Abma and Silentwings always react very fast and friendly to reports!
enetheru wrote:Behe, for some amazing maps to play on.
Here in addition The Yak, Smoth, Enetheru (in no specific order and among others) come to my mind when I think about beautiful maps.

Among others -to name a few- Flozi, Knorke, Funkencool, gajop gave me very helpful tips in Lua scripting.

I also enjoy the weirdness of PicassoCT :mrgreen:
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

qray wrote:Here in addition The Yak, Smoth, Enetheru (in no specific order and among others) come to my mind when I think about beautiful maps.
Thank you, however I must note that I have made a total of 2 maps. so in this regard I am undeserving.
qray wrote:Enetheru made the nice Blender heightmap tutorial video to help me. And is still improving mapping tools/options.
In general, big thanks to everyone making the mapping wiki pages what they are!
I'll take some of the credit for the mapping section of the wiki though, I spent so much time on that.

Flozi, deserves some internet hugs for his wiki work and general demeanor.

As does Anarchid, such a positive influence on this community.
qray

Post by qray »

enetheru wrote:... however I must note that I have made a total of 2 maps. so in this regard I am undeserving.
It's not about quantity :wink: Somehow I was thinking of maps that inspired me in some way or another when I started trying mapping myself. And the charlie in the hills remake happens to be among them...
If I think about great maps in general I would also have to mention Forb, SirArtturi, Silentwings, Cheesecan, Zoggop, Anarchid, hunterw, ....
too many to list all.

Return to “General Discussion”