Changes to forum layout / startpage - Page 2

Changes to forum layout / startpage

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Changes to forum layout / startpage

Post by Forboding Angel »

Testing long ass quote:

edit: Amba, they must have changed it in this version of pbpbb. Basically long quotes would get scrollbars which tbh I agree with. It irritates the fuck out of me when someone quotes a long ass OP.

The scrollbars mitigated the annoyance. That said... meh. It's trivial either way, and on a mobile device, scrollbars on quotes is more irritating than the long quote itself.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

agreed! the problem are the long quotes, these should be prevented somehow :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

was part of the older forum. I don't really feel as there is a point to feedback but if you guys want it, I think the buttons like b/i/u/quote on the posting page are too dark.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote:I don't really feel as there is a point to feedback but if you guys want it, I think the buttons like b/i/u/quote on the posting page are too dark.
Feedback is good as long as it is helpful.

The buttons are designed to fit within the spring site color scheme (such as it is). I had thought of ditching that premise and using the logo colors as my scheme, which would result is some orange call to action buttons which may or may not be jarring.

Unfortunately without a lot of work atm it's a little hard to do a mockup, but I'll post an idea screenie at some point and ppl can tell me if they like it or not.

The thing is though, this site color scheme doesn't follow the logo colors either, so I'm not sure how great of an idea using the logo for a color scheme is. That said, I would like the colors to be unified at some point (that's one of the goals I am working towards... slowly but surely).
gajop

Post by gajop »

The problem right now is that the forum is not even consistent with itself, let alone some arbitrary Spring site theme.
Some buttons are dark (in the post and page numbers), while others are light...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Clarification, the button shadow is what is offputting. Of course you are really working with 2 themes. PHPBB and spring. Honestly I would suggest doing PHPBB's colors to match the existing colors rofl used.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:The problem right now is that the forum is not even consistent with itself, let alone some arbitrary Spring site theme.
Some buttons are dark (in the post and page numbers), while others are light...
Well... duh...

It takes time to do everything, and php does things so haphazardly that it is a long process.
smoth wrote:Honestly I would suggest doing PHPBB's colors to match the existing colors rofl used.
That's what I'm doing. For example, the button colors match the header navigation colors.
smoth

Post by smoth »

the rest does not though. that is why things look "off"
gajop

Post by gajop »

I don't think you should upload the iterative versions of the "theme migration" process to the live site. Test locally or use the test server instead please.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It's a word with a single line around it and a small border radius, what we currently have is actually more difficult to implement, and closer to the OS X Aqua you referred to

Here I changed only the designs gradient to use Aqua colours:

Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 10.18.08.png
(70.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:I don't think you should upload the iterative versions of the "theme migration" process to the live site. Test locally or use the test server instead please.
Lol.
AF wrote:It's a word with a single line around it and a small border radius, what we currently have is actually more difficult to implement, and closer to the OS X Aqua you referred to

Here I changed only the designs gradient to use Aqua colours:
I was referring to MacOS LONG before OSX. I'm talking MacOS back when it was a whole 16 colors and I was in high school.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Get rid of the border radius and apply text-transform: uppercase; and hey presto, material design-esque, eitherway the drop shadow and text shadow have no place here
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Lol.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

seriously... wrote:Lol.
*insert moderator hat*, lets stick to constructive discussions please.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

In other news I see some GitHub pull requests from Forb ^_^

before:

after:

Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 00.30.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 00.30.32.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:I don't think you should upload the iterative versions of the "theme migration" process to the live site. Test locally or use the test server instead please.
Ok, lets try this again. Who exactly are you talking to? I could have sworn that that was aimed at me, and if that is the case... lol.
gajop

Post by gajop »

It was a response to
It takes time to do everything, and php does things so haphazardly that it is a long process.
From what I understood, you're changing things one by one. I know for one that buttons weren't dark in the previous version.

Basically I think you shouldn't change only parts of the theme so that the forum is no longer consistent with itself. If you want to test how it looks, use the test server.
I'm not sure what you're loling at - this seems like common sense to me.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:Basically I think you shouldn't change only parts of the theme so that the forum is no longer consistent with itself. If you want to test how it looks, use the test server.
this failed already some time ago. also lack of feedback to changes on the testsite / the spring-website repository makes it difficult to do changes at all. this is why those "small" changes are directly applied to the production page. as most of them are visual only and don't make the forum unusable i don't see a big problem with it, the alternatives are much worse.

forb even made screenshots of his changes at the pull requests... the only person who was commenting it was me!

see https://github.com/spring/spring-websit ... s%3Aclosed
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

also lack of feedback to changes on the testsite / the spring-website repository makes it difficult to do changes at all
This forum exists. You (both forb and abma) have permissions to post on this forum. The forum software supports images. Feedback can be requisitioned once/if/when you're done, or even during the process. Your point is thin.

But sure, pushing the changes live did provoke discussion. Possibly now a little less civil than otherwise.
forb even made screenshots of his changes at the pull requests... the only person who was commenting it was me!
There is a subtle difference between the number of people who watch the spring-website repository, and the number of people who read the forum. The assumption that ("everyone does former who cares for latter" is a good excuse), is basically a Vogon approach.
Last edited by Anarchid on 15 May 2015, 12:57, edited 3 times in total.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Well I tested it when it was asked usually, although it would be helpful to know what to test.
The fact you were the only one commenting was probably because the majority of us just don't follow that repo.
I didn't know spring website changes were now being discussed in PRs. I've added the spring-website repo to the watch list now.

I think we had a long streak of unwanted changes ever since we adopted the new forum version.
I'd like to see that streak end and am willing to do testing and give feedback if that'll help...

Return to “General Discussion”