PhpBB 3.1 - Page 6

PhpBB 3.1

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: PhpBB 3.1

Post by Forboding Angel »

Look I don't really want to get in a dick fight over this, but if you guys want to complain, you're going to have to complain about actual issues.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Sorry, but I tend to recognize people by their Avatar (or lack of) first. Humans identify images faster than letters.
It's not the same.
smoth

Post by smoth »

gajop wrote:Sorry, but I tend to recognize people by their Avatar (or lack of) first. Humans identify images faster than letters.
It's not the same.
I cannot speak for others but for me, this
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I don't mind either way but the thing currently on the right is not a sidebar, and I don't see any convention amongst sites I normally visit on which side similar things are put.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I don't think it's a problem that the welcome page has info on right side and that the avatars are still of left: many other forums have it that way too. To me both ways work but following the convention would be slightly preferable.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I prefer avatars on the left.

Also, I reset the max avatar size to 96 x 96, but it is not retroactively enforced.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

200x200 was an experiment. Its too large obviously. I would like 128x128 just for the sake of uniformity, fwiw.

I wanted to see if I could do some nifty stuff with them at large size as well as take up available space, but I couldn't decide on anything I liked.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:Sorry, but I tend to recognize people by their Avatar (or lack of) first. Humans identify images faster than letters.
It's not the same.
Then install the extension and copy paste the block I provided.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Why don't you put back the original behavior and install an extension yourself (to have it appear on the right)?
I'm not going to play with these workarounds (on 6 different OSes I currently use) which might just break in the future.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Forboding Angel wrote:Image
I would think that the text determines if it's bullshit and not the author? So by that logic you want the text to the left.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Forboding Angel avatar is hugely huge!

It grabs so much all the attention, I can't even read any thread anymore, with such a humongous distraction. Normally I would block such images with addblock, but if it becomes the new norm around this forum, I'll end up hiding every avatar.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Bigger avatars would appear to be one possible solution to identifying authors via their avatar rather than their name, but then not all of us have avatars anyway, and square avatars like Forbs work against him by pushing downwards

Maintaining this site isn't something we're known for, lets not give us additional work when updating PHPBB by faffing about with left or right hand sidebars. Most other PHPBB forums have a right hand sidebar, lets just put up with the change and get used to it rather than arguing and regressing every forum update. After all you all figured out who was who since the update right?

In other news you'll be happy to know that Google considers springrts.com to be 'mobile friendly'
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

gajop wrote:Why don't you put back the original behavior...
You haven't been listening, the current is the original behavior. Prosilver for this version of phpbb has the sidebars on the right by default, there was no change made to them, it comes that way from the factory (so to speak), end of discussion. This is the last time I will be addressing the sidebars.

@z, if you were paying attention, the larger avatar was an experiment that unfortunately didn't really work out. I'm going to resize it to the new standard set by flozi when I get to a computer, so please stop trying to fan flames where there are none. Edit: Done.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 11 Apr 2015, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:You haven't been listening, the current is the original behavior. Prosilver for this version of phpbb has the sidebars on the right by default, there was no change made to them, it comes that way from the factory (so to speak), end of discussion.
I don't care about prosilver. I am talking about the original behavior of THIS FORUM.
Forboding Angel wrote:This is the last time I will be addressing the sidebars.
+1, This is going nowhere.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:@z, if you were paying attention, the larger avatar was an experiment that unfortunately didn't really work out. I'm going to resize it to the new standard set by flozi when I get to a computer, so please stop trying to fan flames where there are none. Edit: Done.
This is the last time I will be addressing the sidebars.
+1 from me, guess I'll dealwithit.jpg
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Image
I would think that the text determines if it's bullshit and not the author? So by that logic you want the text to the left.
Not really, avatar is like a face... someone walks up to you, you look at their face and make a judgement call, do you feel like reading that person's bullshit or not. it is fast and quick as far as decision making.

it isn't forbs fault it is on the right, it is the new pro silver theme and it is STUPID easy to put it on the left. it is a 1 line change. Which is why I don't get his stubbornness over it. It was on the left before, put it back on the left.

I cannot understand the issue with that.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

smoth wrote: Not really, avatar is like a face... someone walks up to you, you look at their face and make a judgement call, do you feel like reading that person's bullshit or not. it is fast and quick as far as decision making.

it isn't forbs fault it is on the right, it is the new pro silver theme and it is STUPID easy to put it on the left. it is a 1 line change. Which is why I don't get his stubbornness over it. It was on the left before, put it back on the left.

I cannot understand the issue with that.
Yes, an intuitive decision is faster, but more often than not it is also incorrect. That's why all those salesmen want to put pressure on you to act fast, only 1 car remaining, etc... This explains it well: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26258662

But based on all this intuition, and also on spring history, you can not predict there will be stubbornness?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

People change avatars more often than they chance nicknames though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Doesn't matter, pictures work. I spoke, you guys can ignore me all day. I am not the only one who has an issue with the avatars on the right, whatever, it is a simple correction. I don't see any point in fighting any further with you lot. I don't care about what your arguments want to be about the reality and how you see it, for me, having the avatar on the right hurts readability on this forum. We had them on the left. Most forums I post to still have them on the left.

it is just me asking for you guys to make a 1 line change and get the forum layout similar to before. god I hate this place.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

It would be nice if edited posts would always show that they were edited, even when edited by moderator accounts.
I mean this text:
Last edited by XY on [date] at [time]
Mods for that funciton seem to exist, did not look if they work.

Return to “General Discussion”