About moderator policy - Page 2

About moderator policy

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Re: About moderator policy

Post by Silentwings »

In online forums there is huge variance in our native languages, the culture we are used too, what skills we have, etc. This inevitably results in some cases where individuals disagree or develop vastly different impressions of one another, much more so than if we actually met one another. Also, for this reason, moderators have difficult judgements to make. Attempts to coerce moderators are unhelpful and can result in formal warnings, especially if they amount to repeated or nonconstructive criticism of a user/project.

@smoth, there are some active permanent bans.

@what gajop said:
I have the impression that splitting a thread can cause some people to feel as though something was said wrong. But there is nothing necessarily bad about split threads - starting a new avenue of constructive discussion out of an already existing one is useful.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Silentwings wrote:@smoth, there are some active permanent bans.
WOW. that is a shame.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Permabanning can be a useful tool under certain circumstances (when the user in question is persistently damaging and demonstrates an inability or unwillingness to change).

Though I'm not sure why smoth needs ban. He posts while in ignorance of the topic sometimes, but that's not considered a punishable offence in most places (here included, to my knowledge), and while he does get pissy sometimes (-> temp ban) I don't think I've ever seen him act in a malicious manner.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I sometimes wish there was some sort of alternative to perma-ban.

Censorship by the offended party for two weeks.

User is allowed to continue to post. But those who have taken offense- are now burdened with unvetoing every post.

the flamewars we could have..
smoth

Post by smoth »

I like the way he rides my ass and forbs but I am the bad guy. I thought the guy was turning over a new leaf, instead it seems he was just waiting a bit before he resumed his pressure on myself and forb. Knorke my only problem with you, is your problem with me. I don't understand why you get to beat on me but I am the bad guy
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

smoth wrote:I like the way he rides my ass and forbs but I am the bad guy. I thought the guy was turning over a new leaf, instead it seems he was just waiting a bit before he resumed his pressure on myself and forb. Knorke my only problem with you, is your problem with me. I don't understand why you get to beat on me but I am the bad guy
I'm not really sure what his motivation is, and he disabled his pm and responds on the forums with sarcastic nonsense when confronted. I think he just enjoys forum drama. Either creating it by trying to bait people he sees as easy targets, or jumping in to aggravate it when he sees it anywhere else.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't understand why he is targeting me and actively lobbying to have me kicked of the site. That isn't something I appreciate. I don't appreciate him lobbying to kick forb off either. We are a community that cannot afford to dwindle.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

KingRaptor wrote:Permabanning can be a useful tool under certain circumstances (when the user in question is persistently damaging and demonstrates an inability or unwillingness to change).
I think that is the case here.
KingRaptor wrote:Though I'm not sure why smoth needs ban. He posts while in ignorance of the topic sometimes, but that's not considered a punishable offence in most places (here included, to my knowledge), and while he does get pissy sometimes (-> temp ban) I don't think I've ever seen him act in a malicious manner.
You say: "posts in ignorance sometimes".
I say: he does it "too often."
The forum rules want "argumentative discussion", so it is a punishable offence.

Testing or a look in wiki or spring code or just thinking are the minimum requirements, if you want to discuss modding.
Otherwise all that your post contributes CAN only be wrong or the obvious or a remix of already said things. :arrow: Related: http://www.cleverbot.com
luckywaldo7 wrote:I'm not really sure what his motivation is, and he disabled his pm and responds on the forums with sarcastic nonsense when confronted.
I think your question about "motivation" was way too wide and general, where to even begin to answer that?
So again: It am giving my opinon on the forum, that is all. Formulate a less vague question if you want more detailed answer.

I disabled pm to block annoyance, like smoth's messages that I had to delete unread.
If it is not important enough to be said in public then I am not interessted.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I pm you because I am trying to not derail a thread or deal with you in private not because I am trying to annoy you.

After 10 years I have posted everything from stupid to intelligent posts.

You just ignore my replies and continue your behaviors. You have 1 way of seeing things in the most unfleixble of manners. I wonder after you eventually succeed at get forb or I banned by staking us on this site if you will find someone new to obsess and attempt to lord over
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

8611 wrote:I think your question about "motivation" was way too wide and general, where to even begin to answer that?
So again: It am giving my opinon on the forum, that is all. Formulate a less vague question if you want more detailed answer.
Your motivation in trying to remove smoth and Forb from the spring community.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

@luckywaldo7
Is that not clear from my posts since the start of thread? Please read again, some parts:
8611 wrote:If someone gets banned so often in so short times then there is no more hope that they will ever learn.

Imo there have also been postings where even one on its own was enough to show that someone is not willing to be part of the community.

except for those two nobody repeatedly causes so many problems by their landuage, not obeying basic interforum rules like "Think, then post." or "How to ask questions?"
I am not "targeting by names."
It is more like my view on things slowly changed from amusement and bafflement to resignation:
This forum has some really stupid postings, on the level of youtube comments.
And really offensive posts. And arguing with no arguements except "nope!" and agression.
And being dismissive to newbies. And no "thank you" when someone helped, instead "this tells me fuckshit, are you trolling?"
I did not always post but did often think: "WTF is wrong with these people?"
To me it is clear: no forum can work like that.
After some years I noticed: it was always the same posters.
I noticed that facts, wikis, tutorials, explainations have no value when people just want to be right.
Now I do not think anymore: "WTF is wrong with these people?"
It changed to: "Why would anyone even... Oh. That guy again."
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

great thread guise
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Peet wrote:great thread guise
What is that supposed to mean? There is no hidden agenda with this thread if that's what you mean.

I wanted to know how to discuss moderator actions, because it's a "felony" according to the policy, and I wanted to know why this small community has so prominent role of moderators.
darklord42

Post by darklord42 »

I am not "targeting by names."
The active moderators {Flozi, gajop, Silentwings, Beherith} will never ban the offending posters {Forboding Angel, smoth} no matter what.
Anything else we should read again?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Hi all,

Please all be careful to not devolve the conversation into he said, she said petty arguments, try to understand the reasoning behind the words rather than nit pick the details.

It is fairly clear that there is a communications breakdown, this wouldn't keep showing up if it didn't.

The way I see these sorts of things resolving is the acknowledgement of each other, our complaints, and each putting in reasonable effort to address them, and be seen to be doing so.

Dismissing or denying someone elses experience leads to invalidation, frustration and resentment.

For my own personal feelings, I realised that the spring community was poisonous back in 2010, and I simply help in my own way by always being polite, caring, helpful. I have my own reasons for staying on and working on things for myself, these don't rely on the cooperation of other people or their validation. If it ever became too much for me I would simply move onto other projects.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

how to discuss moderator actions, because it's a "felony" according to the policy,
It's not, but there are felonies related to it (4 and, to a lesser extent, 6).
http://springrts.com/wiki/Felony wrote:Discussions about relevant moderator actions or rules and policies are allowed provided they do not throw threads off topic or are done with excessive rudeness.
Hopefully this (briefly) answers the original question; see the wiki page for proper info.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I propose the division of the board into two parts - the madhouse - and nice, cushy opensource town.
The madhouse remains hidden from users, until they reach 500 posts.

The real problem is, that mad people, though unsociallyable and mentally unstable. Can be quite productive.
I can tell, beeing generally crazy and not lazy actually. I also have some suspicions that others here have taken the basket weaver and pottery course quite well.
So conflict of interst.
We want nice people to stay.
We dont want the productive mad onces, who talk of themselves in plural majestaties, to leave.

So sollution by schizophrenia.. makes quiete a lot of sense. And i fucking hate you, and you will have to accept, that good Entertaiment is produced by emotionally slightly imbalanced people, where anger and niceness is close together, my love.

http://io9.com/what-makes-sugar-and-sal ... 1431126574

Its time for one of those ugly compromises and sweaty shake hands, that only insane people would attempt on the intertubes.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

It is more like my view on things slowly changed from amusement and bafflement to resignation
Here's what resignation looks like:

Code: Select all

!resign
Here's what this topic looks like:

Code: Select all

lolololo
I'm sorry.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The purpose of this thread has already been fulfilled, for those who are just arriving

TLDR:

- Some people get banned
- Some people are permanently banned
- Moderators have been criticised
- For some reason people are talking about banning Forboding Angel
- Forboding Angel was banned before the discussion started yet the discussion continues
- Smoth smoth smoth
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote: - Smoth smoth smoth
Dont get me started... ;)

Return to “General Discussion”