Why was Zero-K RSS feed removed from community news?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Please bring it back, it benefits both communities.
Last edited by Licho on 15 Jan 2015, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Re: Why was Zero-K RSS feed removed from community news?

Post by Silentwings »

Afaik all RSS feeds were removed (there was discussion of it many months ago, the newsfeed was repeatedly flooded with old/irrelevent content). Community news became a blog based on http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=38.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Ok but I would swear I saw some news item just days ago linking from spring site to ZK news.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Because knorke posted something here maybe? http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32826
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I have seen those but I also saw direct link...

Ok I guess it was my brain failing and there was no one.. Nm then ...
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

I used to re-post some zK news to spring news. (not every new game-version but "bigger" things like tourneys) Now banned -> can not post.
Btw: Did you make this thread because you expected your last news to appear in springrts newsbox?
On zk.info can post whatever you want but if it is supposed to appear elsewhere too, then need to think of context: Your last new would have told any random player to "use address "lobby.zero-k.info" if you are using other lobby program than Zero-K "
For non-zK people there should have been at least some explaination what happend to old server.

http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/9845 - some thread about change to news, one of the very few threads with zero replies.
gajop

Post by gajop »

8611 wrote:Now banned -> can not post.
You are not banned. Or you are banned by IP/email, but that seems unlikely..
Can you confirm that? And if you still are, can you send those two details to the Moderator or Admin groups?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@8611:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32596
All users who are member of some special group in this forum are able to post a new thread.
you aren't in a group, so you are not allowed to post there. join a group and then you'll be able. also your "old" account should work since a week again or so. if still not, please pm me.
knorke

Post by knorke »

fascinating.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

maybe some notes why it was removed:

- content of rss feeds couldn't be moderated (i.e. http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=30120 )
- content of rss feeds contained to many "spam". its not useful to see 5 messages a day about observed matches, or because of breakage of some other feed to see messages in duplicate... to many errors happened over a long time and no improvements were seen

also currently imo it works pretty well.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

There are 31 news-topics but only some dozen are actually new, not sure if that is "working pretty well."
I copy-posted some zK news because the news-thing had kind of been my idea so felt bit responsible to feed it. Perhaps was in hope that situation improves if one pretends everything is normal?
I was 49% sure the ban was troll but seeing the mod account still in moderator group despite being inactive since forever and randomly banning someone for second time makes it hard to see past problems of this forum. Now the whole spring<-vs->zK thing :roll:
gajop

Post by gajop »

8611 wrote:randomly banning someone for second time
second time? what?
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

iirc it was also Das Bruce who had banned TradeMark for something relatively minor without consultation of others.
But even if I you do not want to re-visit that, I still wonder why now he is still moderator after being basically inactive in spring (only posted in off topic) since long time and in 2014 made not a single post.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Oversight, thought he had been removed already. De-modded. I'm even opening to banning him for being a total dick.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

abma wrote:maybe some notes why it was removed:

- content of rss feeds couldn't be moderated (i.e. http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=30120 )
- content of rss feeds contained to many "spam". its not useful to see 5 messages a day about observed matches, or because of breakage of some other feed to see messages in duplicate... to many errors happened over a long time and no improvements were seen

also currently imo it works pretty well.
Not true, If you really wanted to you could have setup a tag and manually curated what you wanted on the front page, I was open to people having accounts as well ( knorke had strange ideas that if he gained access to his account it would be interpreted as him endorsing springinfo, even though only he and myself would know about it, so in the end he deliberately chose not to )

There were also plenty of other RSS feeds from SpringInfo that could have been used, but they weren't. The main feed that contained absolutely everything unfiltered was used, and the unoptimised results used were consequently not optimal..

Most of the issues complained about would have been solved by using an RSS feed that didn't have videos ( /feed/?cat=-7 )

If you're happy with what you have, then sure go ahead with it, just don't spread lies about the site I run, and still run. SpringInfo still powers the twitter tumblr and facebook profiles, and the Zero K feed is still in there.

My worry at the moment is that the amount of surface-able, sharable content produced here is on the decline. The Zero-K youtube, main news, and EvoRTS related stuff is the only content that's readily sharable on all the major platforms, the only content that's marked up well, searchable, listable, subscribable

Everything else is silo'd away in these forums, undiscoverable, and this hurts the community. How this gets fixed, I'm sure people have ideas, SpringInfo was one attempt but it was never going to be a silver bullet, and there are other things that can be done

The other thing to note is that while SpringInfo pulls in content from a large number of sources, the amount of content being generated is on the decline. Only Zero-K is keeping up, with Evo in close second. Even on the new community blog, Zero K makes up half the list
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

AF wrote:Not true, If you really wanted to you could have setup a tag and manually curated what you wanted on the front page, I was open to people having accounts as well ( knorke had strange ideas that if he gained access to his account it would be interpreted as him endorsing springinfo, even though only he and myself would know about it, so in the end he deliberately chose not to )
it was a shortcoming for: could not be moderated on springrts.com. on springrts.com we have several moderators while on springinfo.info there was none it seems. it felt like i was the only person who cared about the info shown at the start-page of springrts.com. also moderating from springinfo.info was impractical as you have to change stuff and then wait ~10 minutes that changes show up on springrts.com.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

springinfo had no way to sign up.
The only way to get an account was to figure out that AF can be asked to manually create an account, which could then take months.
Even if one or two people managed to go through this process, it is not praticable.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The delay in showing up on the homepage was not a SpringInfo issue, it was the caching code of this website. Nothing I could have done would have changed that, it required this site be changed.

If anybody can be blamed for that, it's Tobi, and he had good reason to place that cache. SpringInfo cannot be blamed for it, and it isn't something that has been raised before.

Most account creation issues, if not all, revolved around Knorke's email address, or lack thereof, and his paranoia that somebody could repeatedly click the forgotten password link which would send emails to him, something that I have never seen happen considering the 23% of the internet powered by the same software. Ranging from repeatedly forgetting all details of his account, at one point trying to log in to an account that didn't exist, and then trying to log into a temporary account I created for attribution purposes after he complained all his content said "authored by AF". Even when he got access, he complained he had too much access, then claimed that logging in to the account somehow resulted in his endorsement of the content it had pulled in from his own feeds that he created in the first place. It was, to say the least, bizarre

Only 1 other person requested an account, they weren't called 8611 though, and I'm unaware of whatever transition and what your previous username was. I don't believe you have any experience or knowledge of accounts on springinfo or its internals.

Also nobody requested open registration, which was and has always been an option. I did have facebook login support at one point but nobody used it and it was a very long time ago. The reason it was not enabled was because it was easier than setting up and preventing potential spam registrations.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I damn near got kicked off of my web host because whoever set up the rss feed on this site originally, had it pinging my server for updates every 5 fricking seconds.

That was a long time ago before Tobi fixed it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Of note while I'm midway through transferring the site over to a VPS, I intend to allow login via WordPress.com, if people really, really wanted to, they could use the WordPress.com interface to moderate posts, and Knorkes worries about forgotten passwords would become irrelevant, and people concerned about registration and account creation would have a much easier way to do things

Return to “General Discussion”