Q: buying a MacMini as OSX buildbot?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

tl'dr:
  • using donations (either existing or new ones) to buy a MacMini to get a new OSX buildbot up
  • costs 100-300€ (in worse case 500-600€)
  • we don't know what would be needed for our needs (hw & os version)
  • who buys/houses it?
  • is there an interest at all for it?

Any OSX user knows more and can give tips?

Current expectations:
  • 2009 or newer
  • OSX 10.7
  • 2GB ram
  • 64bit
  • cpu doesn't matter
ebay.de link

chat so far:
[LCC]jK: abma, would it make sense to use donations to buy a macmini for osx buildbot?
[LCC]jK: they cost 100-300€
[LCC]jK: would we need a most recent one with most recent osx then, or would an older osx suffice?
abma_irc: [LCC]jK: yes, it would make sense!
abma_irc: only question is, who can "house" it?
abma_irc: idk about compatibilities :-|
[LCC]jK: the question is can if the binaries of the older osx work on newer ones
[LCC]jK: also do we need a 64bit one to build those, or is a 32bit core duo enough
abma_irc: osx 10.6 seems the last one with 32 bit support (if wikipedia is right)
[LCC]jK: iirc our old buildbot was 32bit
abma_irc: yep
abma_irc: no clue if current osx releases have a 32 bit compaitiblity mode for "old" apps
abma_irc: when reading some stuff, at least osx 10.6.7 should be used as it can be updated to newer versions
abma_irc: "OS X 10.7 Lion dropped support for all Macs with 32-bit Intel processors"
abma_irc: imo we should target for 64 bit
abma_irc: 10.7 has opengl 3.2, 10.6 has only parts of it
abma_irc: imo >=10.7 :)
abma_irc: sorry, have to go. cu!
AF
AI Developer

Re: Q: buying a MacMini as OSX buildbot?

Post by AF »

+1 on aiming for 64 bit

Of course if anybody has an old macbook or mac mini they can donate? A mac mini should be fine as a buildbot, set it up with XBMC and have it do the compiling/tests in the background
matyhaty

Post by matyhaty »

I could certainly help out there if people needed some build bot to crack on with.

More over, with a little donation I would look at getting a Mac Pro - running Yosemite setup on the Fibre connection which could be used.

I hate having to run Spring in Virtual clients!!

(by donation Im talking a few hundred quid!!)
gajop

Post by gajop »

matyhaty wrote:I could certainly help out there if people needed some build bot to crack on with.

More over, with a little donation I would look at getting a Mac Pro - running Yosemite setup on the Fibre connection which could be used.

I hate having to run Spring in Virtual clients!!

(by donation Im talking a few hundred quid!!)
That's a lot, especially coming from one person, and I'm sure everyone would be grateful, but please keep in mind that this would still not make devs obligated to provide a good, stable, Mac version. In short, this doesn't become a job regardless of the donation.
That said, I'm sure the devs would do their best to provide for a Mac version, but it's good to be aware of the situation (that this does not make you a customer).
Anyway, great offer!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

as i understood it, he wants money donated to him to buy a mac pro which he would run locally and give us access to.

Return to “General Discussion”