Guidelines or rules for moderation

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

I searched for guidelines or rules for moderation on this forum but I couldn't find any. Do they exists? If so, are they publicly available. If not, why not?

The reason I was looking was because I have encountered 'weird' moderator actions on a regular basis. I feel this detracts from a nice 'forum experience'.

Do you think there should be guidelines or rules for moderators? If so, what should be in those rules at the very least?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Guidelines or rules for moderation

Post by FLOZi »

knorke

Post by knorke »

what does the giant image mean?
---
I think he means guidelines or rules *for* moderation.

There are none, at least not written down. Reason being that it is boring to write loooong text and nobody did it. Imo moderaters should have some feel for that is right.
If so, what should be in those rules at the very least?
Well propose something?
For example not deleting/editing/banning posts without notice and leaving poster to wonder what happend. I have a feeling that is why you made the thread!
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

knorke wrote:what does the giant image mean?
---
I think he means guidelines or rules *for* moderation.

There are none, at least not written down. Reason being that it is boring to write loooong text and nobody did it. Imo moderaters should have some feel for that is right.
If so, what should be in those rules at the very least?
Well propose something?
For example not deleting/editing/banning posts without notice and leaving poster to wonder what happend. I have a feeling that is why you made the thread!
Both correct. And I also agree that moderators should have that feel. For such a diverse range of backgrounds (cultures) as this forum hosts it would however be helpful to have some guidelines.

I don't propose writing a long text, like the forum rules, but rather some short baselines for moderators to work with. Like a maximum of 5 rules or so. Not a lot of work. So basic, at the core of what moderating should be, that we all can agree upon them.

So lets go:

1. Not deleting/editing/banning posts without notice
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The solution for a lack of strict guidelines - and there are always problems with strict guidelines, even our current rules for user behaviour lead to repetitive "bearding" of moderators by users flirting with the rules - is peer oversight. In other words, the informal appeals process by which you can talk to another moderator about the actions of a moderator.

As it turns out though, we do have moderation guidelines, set down initially by Betalord.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Neddie wrote:The solution for a lack of strict guidelines - and there are always problems with strict guidelines, even our current rules for user behaviour lead to repetitive "bearding" of moderators by users flirting with the rules - is peer oversight. In other words, the informal appeals process by which you can talk to another moderator about the actions of a moderator.

As it turns out though, we do have moderation guidelines, set down initially by Betalord.
Yea, in my experience peer oversight fails on this forum. It is really annoying.

I couldn't find those moderation guidelines by Betalord anywhere. Got a link?
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Please do point out these terrible abuses :roll:
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

FLOZi wrote:Please do point out these terrible abuses :roll:
This thread isn't about individual cases. Please make your own thread if you want to whine about users implying admin abuse.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

No.

You are making the claim, you have to provide evidence if you want to be taken seriously.

You can't see the moderation guidelines because they are in the moderator forum.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

FLOZi wrote:No.

You are making the claim, you have to provide evidence if you want to be taken seriously.

You can't see the moderation guidelines because they are in the moderator forum.
According to the forum rules I am not allowed to do that. So go figure it out for yourself. Also I think that going into that will derail the topic. Furthermore it would probably lead to moderators defending themselves rather then discussing what is good/bad moderator behaviour.
FLOZi wrote: You can't see the moderation guidelines because they are in the moderator forum.
On topic: Good to hear there are moderator rules. Good luck with those then.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

klapmongool wrote:1. Not deleting/editing/banning posts without notice
Unless the post is from a spambot. It's important to differentiate between bots that are just here to advertise (shoot them on sight), and human beings (who, no matter how misguided or annoying, have feelings).
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Are you bawwing because I deleted your post in which you were an asshole to someone who who didnt deserve it? Yes you are. Next time youll get a free warning to go with it.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Moderation should be done in moderation ;)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Beherith wrote:Are you bawwing because I deleted your post in which you were an asshole to someone who who didnt deserve it? Yes you are. Next time youll get a free warning to go with it.
No, I am ´bawwing´ because my post disappeared without notice. Whether me posting it or you removing it was correct is a whole other discussion. Maybe you and Flozi could stop trying to derail this topic into being forbidden by forum rules and think about what we can learn from this situation.

I agree SpliFF. Perhaps that could be number 1 on the list instead.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

klapmongool wrote:Maybe you and Flozi could stop trying to derail this topic into being forbidden by forum rules
I think that sounds a bit paranoid :-) , although I do think the moderates are handling this topic a little strange. What's wrong with transparency?
knorke

Post by knorke »

FLOZi wrote:have to provide evidence if you want to be taken seriously.
1) why moderators move threads to "resource forum" where they get (auto?)locked instead of adding to wiki? :arrow:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p544890

2) why moderators delete posts (like those of klapmongool) without notice and not traceable? The reason might have been "was being an asshole to someone" but the post is now completly gone (afaik) and so nobody can confirm or deny that. For example the posts in the thread of klapmonogol that i saw seemed ok to me. Use "move to spambox" instead of delete-button.
Otherwise what stops me (or others?) from deleting random "bad" postings if nobody can check if the post was indeed bad...be transparent when deleting or editing posts.
Mmost moderators try that though and I see no reason why one would not want to.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

No posts are ever truly deleted, topics are automagically moved to spam box and individual posts are appended to one of the threads in there.

That thread was moved at the authors request, no idea why it was locked.
gajop

Post by gajop »

FLOZi wrote:... no idea why it was locked.
The subforum is locked so every thread there gets auto-locked.
Be careful what you wish for ;).
knorke

Post by knorke »

FLOZi wrote:That thread was moved at the authors request
But moderators should know better..
It was discussed 10000 times why wiki is better than forum. One reason being that everybody can collect good threads and does not have to chase moderators to get them to move/sticky them. Or that the thread can be archived even while people are still posting in them.

Return to “General Discussion”