my contribution to the spring community finally ends now

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

muckl

Post by muckl »

hi
im admin of TERA and i finally decided to quit hosting the autohosts.
the reasons to support a community in my eyes is that u would have fun to do it and it should make sense. after some years of hosting i came to the conclusion, that the fun in general as the interaction with the community has lacked more and more. some ppls in forum talk about "you can everytime spawn a new host like u want" and thats right - technically maybe there is no reason for me to host a server for a community where are already more than enough servers present. the milestone where zero-k came into the game was already showing me how spring community developers and admins can act with their propaganda to force their lovely game into a new dimension.. zero-k never attracted me with its playmobile style graphics and ugly sounds (im sorry to say). those guys indeed grabs every hating thread about any combination of BA DSD LOET TERA keywords and bring in their hate about BA or whatever to fill oil in the fire. i never felt the need to bitch about a mod in that constant way.
ppls like alba are in my mind - just search the forum and look where he speaks about "just go on another server" - its his philosophy of prevent problems with humanity.. especially that point of drama how so much guys hammering on a autohost is hard to believe.. instead of trying to contribute or help in any way they just keep up the flames and just waiting for another hating thread where they can go on again.
the point what many guys ignore is the fact that full servers are statistically have a higher amount of trolls too - so its not only the always preached BADSD drama in my mind.. i think the facts of the played maps statistic says it clearly that the massive BADSD time is over a long time already - its mixed nicely and other maps are played plenty.
now to me
i made many mistakes as host owner and recruited sometimes players to admin status i should never had. the problem is, u can never assess a guy on the internet and so its like a poker game. to be admin is a very hard job and i would not recommend any of u to make your own host - u think in first step "yeah i will make it better" but the fact is, that everything u make is wrong - u do to much, u are abusing - u do to less, trolls do what they want and players talking to you what u should have done and why u dont ban and so on.. thats how the world in internet works. so thats a bit what i would say about the administrating or how some other ppls say "Nazi like administrating" - we know those guys.
i think every community has its idiots trolls. maybe i only see the bad of this community - the "freaks" yeah :) but the community is so small they will not sink down in the crowd as background noise - they are stealing my time where i would have fun to play a game and in the end that is what i like. as admin u cannot just ignore this and close your eyes or smurf to not get masses of querys "do that and kick this and ban those". more and more im getting the feeling that playing spring indeed dont makes me happy anymore like in old days.
i remember where i joined LOeT and Lampe was host owner.. i did not liked his behave how he recruited ppls into admin status just that they "calm down" in their troll behave.. i did not thought he was serious in the moment he said that but it was the truth! at some time lampe leaved the spring community for unknown reason and i had set up new hosts with the name of his servers [TERA] to continue the full servers and much fun on the warfield.. it was like a must cause there was no reason to stop that and so i did.
i really liked the idea to support this game in any way. now after some years im at the end too.. maybe someone will takeover the autohost accounts - i would give out the PW.
i think lampe took it easy and not serious enough but whats the way to go? everyone has his own personality and i have mine so i take shit more serious and in the end i think i took it way to serious.. so maybe some of u ppls forgive me some bans.. mostly they are like u see red cause after a time u see trolls everywhere and the sensibility gets higher and higher - so thats not excuse for some bans but im just not a peewee and thats good ;)

what i dont like too is the behave between the devs of this project - why would i support a project where one developer kicks out a project of another developer.. i liked the idea of zervers MT version but some arguments of abma, to discontinue the MT project too.. but the way they managed the problem is fail and stands for me as just another community point where shit happens when ppls come together and cannot manage it over internet.. im sure they would not decide like this if they would speak face to face.
so the future of the spring project in my eyes is a rag rug where every dev makes what he want to do
isnt it already like that?
a good leader for the project would prevent releasing software to the public community what makes they instantly mad because of massive bugs - i dont like the arguments "yeah we dont have enough testers.. so help test instead of biching the devs" cause not everybody stands up or comes from work (yes there exists work on this planet) and just want to play a game instead of debug it (oh, and if u want to debug it or help in any way, u should KNOW what to do.. coding is not every players main hobby) - so i think most devs are thinking to nerdy and see in every player a potential tester who fucking should do its work to debug the game. devs are happy to build in new functions and its a hard way to only debug stuff on the mantis list - im a dev myself and i know that problems but I HAVE a system that must run and i know when its time to release something TESTED or just leave it on the old version.
i fully respect the time what devs and content creators are bringing into this project - its like they work for no money. but they have to take care about the project in a more global sight and not just out of their "mod sight" mod devs and engine devs are not working together cause (like i see) the force that most old farts just play zero-k and force it to the official "spring game" whatever u call it and let BA die. there everytime exists the players who want to play a TA like clone cause they came from TA (like me) and if there is to much change in gameplay then it is not TA anymore and u would not play it - u cannot force players to play another game and u cannot grab new players with all this hating around what comes up in forums all the time and releasing had bugged software out of the blue over night.. yeah i had several problems to bring up the autohosts again after a major update - guess why.. communication between some ppls who own some PPAs or do linux bins they dont work.. all that small failtures come to one big hill of fail and that is what ppl see - not that the game works in some way.. yeah and bring pathing from 7.2x back ;)

i could write more and more - but im sure some of you are already getting a red head and want to post a comment to this to troll me and cut all my sentences to show me how wrong i am and how bad i was and how i failed in all ways - the good point is that i can laught a bit now over all that wasted time i spent into spring to try to make the world better.. in the end i can look back and saw my servers were mostly full and i liked that they were.. and i say thanks for some good times with some ppls i really like.. and thats the only reason why i dont leave the community completely like lampe did. i found some friends here and know how to handle some situations better..
i just grabbed some main problems i see in this community..
i could moan more about software (masses of lobbys, dispute about BA content, engine technologies, leading, trusted accounts/smurfing ..)
and ppls who pisses me off.. but that would go beyond the scope of this post and would be childish.
so this is my personal sight of all those topics! if u cannot deal with it, cut urself or start another hating thread/post - "thats internet" (c) Kodiak.

have fun and if u see me on the warfield, just dgun my com if u want - so i can finally leave the community in a forced way to prevent further wasting of time.

[LOeT]Paste
Senna

Re: my contribution to the spring community finally ends now

Post by Senna »

Im not really happy that TERA host's ends, but thanks to some trolls, now we gonna miss the good TERA host's
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

thanks for your contributions/work/time/efforts!
Senna

Post by Senna »

abma wrote:thanks for your contributions/work/time/efforts!
I would say really the same bro, big thanks paste for ur contribution with good autohosts
[LOeT]Zinn

Post by [LOeT]Zinn »

[LOeT]Lampe was more of a goal-getter than most others in this community are. His spring playing was just a short period of his life.

After he finished studying, he took a real world job to build real world robot weapons for killing real people so he could get real money.

That's the only on topic thing i can write atm without using swear words.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

tl;dr.

Let's see if BA changes now, or they just go to play DSD on another autohost.
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote:thanks for your contributions/work/time/efforts!
And let's leave it at that guys. Bye, and thanks for all the cheese(can)!
kolben

Post by kolben »

thank you muckl for all the dsd
smoth

Post by smoth »

Senna wrote:Im not really happy that TERA host's ends, but thanks to some trolls, now we gonna miss the good TERA host's
Pretty much. Thanks fuel.
Floris

Post by Floris »

T(h)anks for all the hosting efforts, and the quick updating to recent releases!

Hosting, and maintaining is a bigger deal than most realize. Because this is not 'your job', but it does come with some responsibilities you just have to take upon you.

In the end of the day the moaners dont realize that enough I guess. Yes, hosting might not be the most difficult thing there is, but being responsible and maintaining it in the long run is another story.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Too bad you didn't bid farewell with class. By blowing off all your steam like a whiney crybaby, you've joined the company of Spring classics like Trademark. At least he left us with the trololo video at the end of his whiney goodbye.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

^^ This.
Fuel

Post by Fuel »

1. Not everyone you ban and complains is "troll" "idiot" or "retard". It's a pretty childish and narrow minded view.
2. You and few others seem to be living in an imaginary cyber zero-k "propaganda" "war" going on each day where you need to respond to the constant menace of "idiots", "trolls" and "retards" (you can't have ONE post without using these words?).
3. I don't think doing some good should buy you the privilege to be cocky for kicks (pun intended).
4. The adversity of insults, insinuations and threats you showed the other days for no reason blows my mind. It looked like I killed your dog, stole your money or your car or sabotaged your server. Or all at once.
Last edited by Fuel on 11 Jul 2013, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
knorke

Post by knorke »

The future of spring is a rag rug, wasn't it always?
Somehow it works and that makes it interessting.

If there was someone with "more global sight" then maybe situation would be very different. For example for autohosts there was common complaint of "too much DSD", "too large team sizes" and how this is bad for BA or maybe whole Spring. To me it seemed like a long time that autohost owners are also a bit blind and just want many players locally on their hosts even if it maybe lowers globally the number of games.
Complaints about that are almost as old as about any other rotating topic.
Imagative leader of project might just agree with that and enforce say a limit of 5 players per team. But there is no such leadership so instead you just get complaints ;) That's internet.
People will always complain about something and someone else will feel insulted. Even your post contains are things that might unintentionally offend others.
Well if it is not fun anymore than stopping or taking break is right thing.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

CarRepairer wrote:Too bad you didn't bid farewell with class. By blowing off all your steam like a whiney crybaby, you've joined the company of Spring classics like Trademark. At least he left us with the trololo video at the end of his whiney goodbye.
java people they always want it classy.. as if we cant get enough of those selfimportant little structs..
well then

Code: Select all

include WhatEverPeopleLurk;

/* Sygh! 
There you have it car, you happy now bitch?
*/
class Ragequit extends Rant
{
private int tlDR=9001;
String wordlyRemains[]={"My", "Server", "Trolls", "evil", "are","is","bad","worse","Asshole","ZoeOfOnlineDrifterMonkeysNoOtherComunityCouldPossiblyWant"};
String tempArray[]= new Array();
tempArray= WhatEverPeopleLurk.getList();

public String getRant()
		{ 
		String rageApage= new String();
			for(int i=tlDR; i > 0; i--)
			{
			rageApage=rageApage.concat(wordlyRemains[math.floor(math.random()*tlDR)];
			}

return rageApage;
		}

public void setRant(int valueOfNoReturn)
	{
	this.tlDR=valueOfNoReturn;
	}

//I personally find this a rather useless endavour, just cargocultcode, whith no real effect on the comunity
}
PS: The drama annoys me. Its repetetive, badly executed and it needs something new, fresh, something that spins up the trolls for once.
How about this:
The Tar and feather widget:
Every time a troll is spotted the audience can vote on a hard undo (speak handover of selected units to the damaged party)- and if they have a majority vote,
the damaged party must vote in unisone for that too- and voila the trollcom changes hand, and the drama is totally diffrent for once.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Sorry but what does ZK have to do with Terra hosts? You seem to be the one who has the poison and hate in heart. Don't know anyone from ZK team who would "hate" BA. Yeah some dislike some aspects BA - that's why we took BA and built from it the ZK.
Also nobody has ever pushed ZK as the "official game" in fact there is no such thing as official game.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Thanks for your work and hosts Paste :) I hope you'll keep playing still.

Also, I'd like to reciprocate Licho's comments; there is no aminosity between BA and ZK developers.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

ok
albator

Post by albator »

ppls like alba are in my mind - just search the forum and look where he speaks about "just go on another server"
Indeed I thought that was the best solution. And I hope it save some new player some time and give them a better experience of the spring engine.

Too bad you were too focus on how to get most players on your host rather than being tolerant and explain to people what was wrong (I was banned 1 year for no particular reason as you said). Last TERA aberration was how it went to unlimited 128 spec just because another one did and TERA admins did not even want to talk to them...

Thanks anyway for hosting, I still enjoyed DSD :D

And yes I spread hate, hate of having bad games.

Return to “General Discussion”