Community and Lobby

Community and Lobby

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Rumpelstiltskin

Community and Lobby

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I am sure many have noticed the feeling of being in a community is not as strong with the way the new lobbies work.
They split players into different channels and there is much less chatter than when Main was the actual main channel.
I want to point this out and ask that main be made the Actual main channel again.
Maybe by not putting people in other channels by default so only the most interested join the channels themselves while all else mingle in Main...

I am not sure what the exact reason for it is but I think it would benefit Spring games to have Main be the actual main channel again.
smoth

Re: Community and Lobby

Post by smoth »

because main was a troll filled pit.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Splitting people off into different channels was somewhat intentional, and there's nothing stopping people joining #main, and other channels.

If it's a big issue perhaps we can create a forum, install phpbb, brand it with the logo, perhaps it could offer downloads and some documentation? A news feed perhaps?
Rumpelstiltskin

Main was a nice place where people got to know each other, even with all the trolling, which was sometimes fun in and of itself there were serious and good disucssions as well.
Now it's all dead.
Another brick in the wall of spring's death.
knorke

Post by knorke »

#main should be default channel in all lobbies again, all players in one channel has just so many advantages over them being split everywhere.
there's nothing stopping people joining #main, and other channels.
not knowing about it/not knowing how to do it.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

[Crazy Idea] here... what if (the protocol might need to be extended slightly to do so) certain channels (thinking #main here) had more paranoid rules (such that in main the char limit was smaller and the allowed post frequency was lower)... my recollection of #main in it's "olden days" was a constant stream of people spamming their room name and asking for map/mod links.

Then #main could be the default again but it wouldn't be awful.
knorke

Post by knorke »

(such that in main the char limit was smaller and the allowed post frequency was lower)
It already is like that.
asking for map/mod links.
People still ask for help with problems (not map links but there are enough other question), I think that is good use for chat. It seems now they ask the same question in multiple channels to increase chance of someone answering. If there was a common channel then that would not be nessecary.
constant stream of people spamming their room name
Finding players is legit use too. Imo that only got out of hand once zK automated the spam and it seemed to have been a signal for autohosts to do similiar.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Main was a nice place where people got to know each other, even with all the trolling, which was sometimes fun in and of itself there were serious and good disucssions as well.
Now it's all dead.
Another brick in the wall of spring's death.
Most friendships I forged on the lobby where done either in private channels or ingame. #main had it's time, but it was mostly a spamfest of "join xyz need 2 more" last I checked. Suffice to say I removed it from my channel list, perhaps the spam has cleared by now
Rumpelstiltskin

Well maybe your lobby using habits are a bad representation of the community...or of the community as it once was before main was destroyed.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Another brick in the wall of spring's death.
Bitch please. Spring is not dying. :roll:
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Another brick in the wall of spring's death.
Another noodle in the spaghetti of unnecessary unsubstantiated drama.
Rumpelstiltskin

It's exactly what we are missing in main. :)

Return to “General Discussion”