Promotion/Advertising for Spring

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

There is a campaign needed to grow up the community! I think some videos on youtube and g+ facebook is not the right way. New ideas needed! So every thinking approach is wellcome!

I can remember on a old browser game, they attemped to rescue their project with google adsense. ok they failed.. and not cheap btw

The only real assembly that i have is: oftens when you set a special topic at any board, you can find it on the first search results on german google. Maybe its a beginning to create a html website only for advertising with some youtube clips like this and to lease some domains that googlec&o can find easily. cheaper than every advertisement

But thats only a little food for thought...
Das Bruce

Re: Promotion/Advertising for Spring

Post by Das Bruce »

No, Spring is an engine. It's long past time to cut the apron strings.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

But what about the pen and paper game?
" You enter a bugrequest at mantis, wearing nothing but a shabby infolog. A cool breeze smelling like dusty death blows into your face. Above the portal it is written in stone: Beware he who enters here, only debug avaits you.

A wild bug appears. It throws a exception and hits you for 0x016F83F damage."
What do you do?
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

an engine without players is like vatican without followers- a dead project thats runs in the sands... and plz back to topic, the same goes for moderators if I'm not mistaken, thx!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

AntiAllez wrote:an engine without players is like vatican without followers- a dead project thats runs in the sands...
News flash:

http://www.zero-k.info

Zero-K is a game with a community that is not dependent on the engine site and community. There's a site, forum, maps page and everything that is needed. If springrts.com disappeared today the ZK community would still be here tomorrow playing ZK and a majority wouldn't even know about it. Listen to Bruce.
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

this is not a philosophy group therapy on the question whether or not jumping advertising needs. you have enough issues already discussed to death, opened to another to clarify that.

the reality is; 2 mods maybe divide 40 people at high peak the day and thats zk and ba. all other mods out of a community. zk as a standalone? i give it a moth or maybe 2 :P

there was a eveolutionRTS tournament some weeks before about 100 $... with only 3 participants right? what a waste of money. invest it better into new players than this shrinking community. everybody has his favorite game and iam sure you cannot change anything about their beliefs.

working togheter on a way to gather new players, focus your resources and ideas in an advertising project for all kind of mods and everyone will benefit- the engine, the games and at the end, the player.
let the community only a few dozen players shrink and it will trigger a chain reaction. if. the players are gradually moving. who should still have an interest to develop this further..

so plz carries your ideas at here or ignore this topic if you have no interest in mind, thx
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally."
~ David Frost

Your effort might be better spent walking outside and yelling and at trees for not playing sports with you. People here are having fun indulging in a hobby, not trying to be popular.

If advertising is what is fun for you, go have at it and let us know how it goes.
smoth

Post by smoth »

luckywaldo7 wrote:People here are having fun indulging in a hobby, not trying to be popular.

it's like, finally, someone gets it!
malric

Post by malric »

AntiAllez wrote:But thats only a little food for thought...
In my opinion either you do something yourself (and then you can come here brag about how good idea you had or what else you need help with) or do not waste time in another lengthy discussion "you should do this"/"here is a great idea".
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

@ malric where do you red anything about "you should do this" ??

every idea is wellcome and based not on my merit. that cannot seriously your opinion, just because I have dared to address this. that i tried to stopped this philosophy talking about it is simply , because I think its gravedigger chatter...

can emerge through these exuberant macabre humor and is not a serios discussion only flaming for their own amusement. so plz open another topic for it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You have not gotten flamed yet. Keep working on it and I am sure someone will oblige you.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

AntiAllez wrote: there was a eveolutionRTS tournament some weeks before about 100 $... with only 3 participants right? what a waste of money. invest it better into new players than this shrinking community. everybody has his favorite game and iam sure you cannot change anything about their beliefs.
You don't pay attention very well. Tourney was canceled because my co-coordinator bailed on me at the last second and I couldn't scramble fast enough to put the pieces back together.

What I do with my money is my business. Go sit on a pinecone.
smoth wrote:You have not gotten flamed yet. Keep working on it and I am sure someone will oblige you.
He's getting dangerously close.
knorke

Post by knorke »

The problem in past years with facebook, moddb and similiar was always the same.
All kinds of images and videos got uploaded without much system, then after a few months nobody cared about it anymore. So those sites slowly die. Well, in fact they do not die, which is the problem: with their outdated links and old pictures they are anti-promotion for Spring.
For example german Spring page:
http://fan.springrts.de/index.php?cat=0 ... _Downloads
download links to 2 years old Spring version.

google:
Some years ago when you googled to find out more about a spring game (for example a review) that worked. There were not many results because Spring is not so known but it found some postings in other forums, small sites or blogs and such.
Nowadays all the results are much worse:
-either dozens of pages of uninteressting forum threads (spring one or zk)
-links to newsfeed thing with same article over and over
-links to crappy file hosting pages with the description text copy-pasted from the games webpages.
The attempts to get more relevant for google backfired because now the relevant results are lost in a sea of spam from automatic content feeds and such.

People say how "Spring is the engine not game!" but the truth is different:
CarRepairer wrote:Zero-K is a game with a community that is not dependent on the engine site and community.
zK poll: "How did you learn about Zero-K?"
"From Spring" said 58%
So players do in fact first learn about Spring, then pick game(s) to play.

Game makers want to advertise their game and sometimes justify it with "Once my game is more popular, all Spring will profite from it. Also yes, my lobby is optimized for my game but it can technically play all other games too!"

So single-game-installers are made and hailed as hudge sucess.
In reality that is just lack of cooperation and coordination.
Like this would be better:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... am#p537390
But there were dozens of threads on this already and it goes nowhere.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I don't think Spring is ready to be advertised in it's current state... the engine itself is very close but the "ecosystem" leaves much to be desired...

I see "Spring" as a "project"... the "Spring RTS Engine" is the central component of said project but it would be nothing without lobbies, content tools, games, documentation, file repositories and this website (not to mention the human assets).

We can hide the failings that this ecosystem has by focussing on one or more games ( like TA retreads, Evo or ZK )... and that's a good thing because the ecosystem needs hiding.

Ideally though, it should be a lot easier to come to Spring as a Project... that way potential players, content and tool creators, and engine developers could be funnelled through the same entry point.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

If someone advertises Spring as the "Super Deluxe 12-games-in-1 Bonus Package", that is like 12-times better than advertising 1 game. Especially if half of them use the same TA models with variations on balance.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Super Deluxe 12-games-in-1 Bonus Package
Oh that so reminds me of those 1000-games-in-one nintendo cartridges that had the same game with various palettes.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Anarchid wrote:
Super Deluxe 12-games-in-1 Bonus Package
Oh that so reminds me of those 1000-games-in-one nintendo cartridges that had the same game with various palettes.
particularly the fact that 90% of the games in the 1000-in-one cart were Supuer Mario Bos. hacks.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Maybe we should move the Promotion/Advertising discussion to the fact, that we made huge game release of NOTA, almost after half year that sleepy game was moved again :P , and all NOTA stuff is magicly filtered on spring homepage newsbox now. :twisted: i understand notAjokes! were not funny for noble sort here and they were taking space to more important stuff, but new game version, first after 6 months?! :roll:

We buy your souls once as revenge you sneaky censors, look forward that day :regret:
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Help, help im beeing repressed. I mean, if you violated a comercial IP that would be understandable, off with there heads, but violating GPL little core of rules, that is quite open to debate ;)
gajop

Post by gajop »

Equating GPL with an STD is what got you removed from the news I think.

Return to “General Discussion”