Multi-core support comming?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

aiphee

Post by aiphee »

Hi, i know there is several threads about this and there is some version of spring which kinda support multiple cores. But this version support only games with light load of LUA.

So im asking, is anyone working on full support for Spring?

Its kinda deal-breaker for me, i have 3-core CPU and its always fully loaded on bigger games and i love big games, they can be really enjoying.

Can i look up for playing more than 2FPS on games bigger than 5v5? (in late game)
Silentwings

Re: Multi-core support comming?

Post by Silentwings »

Spring already has multicore support - fully for two cores and (I think) in upcoming version for >2 cores. You might need to manually change the exe your lobby uses (in springlobby, go to edit->preferences) to spring-mt.exe.

The difficulty is that only some games are able to use it - Balanced Annihilation, Tech Annihilation, XTA all can, for example. I think ZK can't but not sure.
aiphee

Post by aiphee »

So MT must be handled in mod? And can work no matter how much LUA game uses?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As I understand it, the multithreading is handled by the engine but only the mods which are written to be compatible with it can make use of it.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

aiphee wrote:So MT must be handled in mod? And can work no matter how much LUA game uses?
Yes, the Lua must be coded according to the rules mentioned in the link provided by gajop above.-

Like already said, Spring makes pretty good use of 2 cores, and multithreaded simulation, which makes use of even more cores, has been implemented but not released yet. If you are interested read:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28866
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

When will spring then have multi-arm support?
aiphee

Post by aiphee »

Thanks for clarifying, ill be looking for better tomorrows :)
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Jools wrote:When will spring then have multi-arm support?
I understand this was meant as a joke, but Spring does not support Arm, PowerPC and other non SSE compatible processor architectures, mainly for sync reasons. Spring can possibly support these architectures if every player uses the exact same processor configuration.
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

running the mt version only offer the right settings? sorry, if I have misunderstood. when I have been playing with the mt version only 2 cores fully loaded. all others run only for half. or this is just in planning?
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

This is normal. Spring currently makes poor use of any more than 2 processors. There is an experimental version that makes better use of remaining cores, but not 100%.
http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/defaul ... -g8ab8d75/
For testing only, it will not sync with the official 91.0.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

AntiAllez wrote:running the mt version only offer the right settings? sorry, if I have misunderstood. when I have been playing with the mt version only 2 cores fully loaded. all others run only for half. or this is just in planning?
I don't know exactly what you are asking or what I am talking about but aspects of the synced code needs to run in a single threads so my guess is you've got two mega threads loading up your first two core and the other cores are filled to greater or lesser degrees by other threads. (again, I don't know what I'm talking about)

A game (AKA BA or ZeroK or Kernel Panic) and it's widgets and gadgets can be tailored to work better in a multi-core environment but generally you are still getting one "almost everything" thread and one "everything else" thread with maybe a few "something trivial" threads on the sides for interface and automation type stuff.
AntiAllez

Post by AntiAllez »

zerver wrote: http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/defaul ... -g8ab8d75/
For testing only, it will not sync with the official 91.0.
wow i love it! it need only 3-4 sec to reload 1 minute gametime, absolutely fantastic. and my cpu is asleep, despite the high resolution/settings. when will's implemented/ is the final release? i need it moar than to breathe air :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”