Just a brief idea for a mod

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

jiero

Post by jiero »

Drop it here(a copy) so I won't easily forget and may someone use pieces of it.

Economy:
Convert Mines to Energy source/geovents, and the resources turn out to be energy and time.
3 types energy structures:
Geothermal Powerplant, Fusion Reactor, Singularity Reactor.

Geothermal Powerplant become the main source and can also being built everywhere if not on geovents then get a penalty to let the drill reach inner part of the planet.

LOS/Radar:
deploy a large amount of units and also make use of radar wobble(make these significant greater) and LOS ( set normal units have ~1000 LOS, and structure raise ground as protective from radar/range attack by default).

Weapon:
Laser/Plasma Cannon/Tachyon Accelerator
All long range: ~ 1000+/2000+/3000+

Launching platform:
Make missiles units and targets.
And larger missile with higher HP can carry structure that can deploy a structure which also produce a large deformation terrain effect. This is one way of expansion.

More AI more AI:
For example. Automatically use energy swipe the plain ground with laser to detect enemy.

Less units:
Missile, lower robots, smaller spiders. When they stop, they deform a wall in given direction to avoid laser damage.
Das Bruce

Re: Just a brief idea for a mod

Post by Das Bruce »

The important question is:

How will it play?
jiero

Post by jiero »

Determine which area your enemy are going to take and identify which are fake(missile/deployment).

Destroy the enemy.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Das Bruce wrote:The important question is:
DOES IT BLEND?

so jiero are you going to try and make your idea happen?
jiero

Post by jiero »

smoth wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:The important question is:
DOES IT BLEND?

so jiero are you going to try and make your idea happen?

Im extremely lazy. It's probably not going to happen.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

:lol:

I stop to make notAjoke!'s. No chance against this.
jiero

Post by jiero »

I am reading http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6015.
If I can finish the basics frame in 3 days, I may want to make it playable.
maackey

Post by maackey »

3 years is typically a more reasonable estimate for a consistent hard work put into a game to have it finished. If you think about something only for a few days before giving up you might as well just stop now.

But if you do want to make games, really the best way to start is either make something really really really small and simple, or help work on someone else's bigger project. Take small steps, and lots of them.
smoth

Post by smoth »

then you will have read this part:
Projects can take years to finish if you are lucky, this is a large endeavor and will become very demanding.
jiero wrote:If I can finish the basics frame in 3 days, I may want to make it playable.

so 3 days... not likely unless you already know spring, can copy bits from other projects and have a very very small overall project. oh and you have a time bubble.
jiero

Post by jiero »

This really really is not very complex?

10 unit type in total.

3* Eco: going to use zero-k's models, 3 structures.
Other Dedicated: none

3* Ground Unit:
Crabe -> Plasma Cannon Mobile Tower
Flea -> Combat Laser /Short-Range AA, cloak.
Recluse -> Missile Constructor / Launcher / Long Range AA

2* Missile:
Light Missile: Like a weaker vamp without radar, but faster and it is a real missile
Heavy Missile: Slower but=Vamp but heavier version of little brother, but can also deliver 1 Unit instead of the explosive.

2* AirPlane:
Vamp: Laser/Radar
Licho: Missile Cruiser ( 4 Large Missile/4 Small Missile)

BTW: I use archl in game.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

The game isn't very complex, yes. Given an intimate knowledge of the engine and pre-existing models you could knock it out in under 3 days.

But you don't have that! Most of your time (especially at the start) isn't going to be spent making your game, it's going to be spent learning how Spring works so that you can use Spring to make your game.

Don't be discouraged when people give you time estimates like 3 years. Just start hacking away at it today! start with a very simple goal, like "change BA so that the Goliath does 2x damage," and set more and more complex goals for yourself until you know how to make the game you're trying to make. It might take a lot less than years, but even if it doesn't, you will have gained some useful knowledge and had a blast working on it!

One of the reasons so many of us stick around here is fond memories of making games together. Don't forget your goal, but keep in mind that the journey getting there can sometimes be just as, if not more fun.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

jiero wrote: 3* Eco: going to use zero-k's models, 3 structures.
The ZK guys might have a little something to say about that.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Is ZK not an open source project? (I don't know.)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Its GPL ..
Get Phail past Licho
gajop

Post by gajop »

PicassoCT wrote:Its GPL
[citation needed]
I find it odd that models would be distributed under GPL. If they do intend to allow redistribution wouldn't it be a CC licence?
From what I could find on their site (and kinda lazy to search further):
"Zero-K uses artwork (models, textures) donated from various sources under open-source licenses, particularly the GNU GPL, Public Domain and the various Creative Commons licenses."
Likely: code = GPL, models = CC

PS: You are probably legally fine to use models under a CC licence, just check which one it is.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Thats what i miss in smoths project prep-talk. You also need to be your own layer. I hate that aspect, because damn, if you dont want it copied and modified, keep it out of reach of copy&paste, or make sure, its autocopied with a description of your authorship. People are lazy, and to demand diffrent - while you like myself (i use the spring-engine, and if it wouldnt copy its license along, i would forget about that stuff) use mountains of others stuff - that is hippoCrysis. I try to keep the credits up to date though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I didn't want to get into legality in that post. I am not a lawyer and hope people do not see me as a legal adviser.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

and i thought i found the first legal advisor beeing for free..

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28063

&QuiteTheThis<-appointer
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Our model licensing is a complete utter mess. (Thankfully GoogleFrog was careful enough to carefully record the origin of all our sound files, so they're fine.)

You can consult this text file, but note the completely embarrassing state it's in. Even more embarrassingly, I never did a follow-up on it. (Due diligence? What's that?) (Hey, if you see your name here next to a question mark, or otherwise have a correction to make, could you throw me a bone and tell me here or in PM? Thanks.)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Just because something is Open Source, that does not make that project's files fair game.

Try making a project using Evo's art assets and watch the hallfire and brimstone raid down.

Open Source is NOT a license.

Sidenote, hey arch! Long time no see!

Return to “General Discussion”