Make me a moderator - Page 2

Make me a moderator

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: Make me a moderator

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:
Jazcash wrote:Forum moderators aren't related to lobby moderators, or at least, they shouldn't be.
problem with nepotism bro?

so why isn't flozi a moderator yet??!?!?
For the record, it's been under discussion for a little while since this thread was opened. This thread was taken more of a "do we need more moderators" kick to the pants than a decision about weather flozi specifically is the candidate of our dreams (which is not to say he is or is not, just to say a thread like this wouldn't be necessary if everyone was happy with current moderation)

We're talking about the lobby moderator thing too. Also for the record there, Forum moderation and lobby moderation are technically separate things. However, all our candidates that did one but not the other at some point either went inactive, or were appointed to do the other thing as well. There are still several accounts that only have exclusive access, they just aren't active accounts any more.
smoth

Post by smoth »

well, ya'll have several idle moderators who have not been online for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time also
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

smoth wrote:well, ya'll have several idle moderators who have not been online for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time also
This is the description of 95% of the spring community. It doesn't exclusively apply to moderators.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

SwiftSpear wrote:This thread was taken more of a "do we need more moderators" kick to the pants than a decision about weather flozi specifically is the candidate of our dreams
Yeah, this should be the point of discussion really.

I don't really see the need for more forum moderators, just a decent spam filtration system. Give somebody who knows what they're doing access to the test forum to try some spam filtration systems out.

As for lobby moderators, their purpose is almost redundant. Autohost operators take care of what goes on in battles and channel operators take care of what goes on in channels. All lobby moderators really do now is reset passwords (which wouldn't even be a problem if we had password resetting with emails :roll: ).

What I do think may be a good idea are game-specific moderators. This would just be the exact same role as moderators currently have in autohosts but specific to certain games. They also wouldn't have any authority outside of battles. So for example, one of these types of moderators could ban a player from joining BA games, but wouldn't be able to ban him from the server. Only an actual lobby moderator would be able to do that (This rarely happens at all anymore).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:no wordpress please, ever.
Your irrational fear of the world's most popular CMS is silly.

Moreover, Akismet doesn't have anything to do with wordpress, other than most wordpress installs using it, because, it's the best.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

maackey wrote:IIRC all forum moderators are also lobby moderators.
Not I, but I'm not sure if that's intentional.

All I want for Christmas is a BaleteAllAndBan button.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Das Bruce wrote:
maackey wrote:IIRC all forum moderators are also lobby moderators.
Not I, but I'm not sure if that's intentional.
I was never a lobby mod...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Akismet is a service, not a fork of WordPress. There are plugins for Akismet on most of the other CMS' too some even integrate Akismet, similar to how Bad behavior was ported here there and everywhere ( albeit with bugs and sloppy mistakes grrr )
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Das Bruce wrote:All I want for Christmas is a DeleteAllAndBan button.
pls pls pls
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SwiftSpear wrote: For the record, it's been under discussion for a little while since this thread was opened. This thread was taken more of a "do we need more moderators" kick to the pants than a decision about weather flozi specifically is the candidate of our dreams (which is not to say he is or is not, just to say a thread like this wouldn't be necessary if everyone was happy with current moderation)

We're talking about the lobby moderator thing too. Also for the record there, Forum moderation and lobby moderation are technically separate things. However, all our candidates that did one but not the other at some point either went inactive, or were appointed to do the other thing as well. There are still several accounts that only have exclusive access, they just aren't active accounts any more.
I question his ability to be impartial and unbiased.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

None of them are impartial and unbiased, everything from Neddie claiming he logs in regularly while his profile claims he last logged in months ago, or Beherith not wanting recent advances but being obscure with mod tools instead of just saying so. But we have them and who else are we going to put up? For them it's a case of not shitting on their own doorstep at a base level.

The solution is transparency & straightforwardness, not the race to find the new ultimate perfect community member.

I'd say a lot of the improvements on the forums are down to people leaving, and people maturing. I still remember the days we had troll threads dedicated to individual community members, and Swift said it wasn't an issue, that was a real boost of confidence in moderation at the time eh?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Makes you wonder - if the comps in some hindi spam center can run spring
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF wrote:and people maturing.
8)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

AF wrote:I still remember the days we had troll threads dedicated to individual community members, and Swift said it wasn't an issue, that was a real boost of confidence in moderation at the time eh?
I remember this differently... But it's entirely possible there was referential content I was missing... or you were overly reading into...

I locked several threads and restricted several users for that kind of behavior.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

the humor sure matured..
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

If I compare the spring community with other online ones I think things generally work quite well here. The moderators here are courteous, at least towards me. There are much worse communities (but maybe spring one is quite small, so maybe unfair to comapre)

I was before a moderator on a fantasy football site: we had a lot of issue due to different age and nationality of people. I remeber a 54 year old Australian guy felt insulted when the opponent, some teenager, told him something like his team was full of whimps.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We're a much more closeknit community now, and the more unstable or lulzworthy elements have either left or started projects. Moderation has always been 'polite', what's changed is the attitude. These days it's needed less, and blunt when it happens, in the older days it was nicely nicely and ran with the attitude that things should be open and self governing in order to foster a community, whereas now half the community is moderation
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think a "Ban and Delete All" button would be a huge advantage with the current rash of spam (such things exist, I've seen them on other forums).

Also, maybe we could auto-ban anyone who talks about Ugg Boots... beyond maybe a public service announcement that they are made from actual sheep-hide and not just wool as many people seem to believe.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

AF for admin!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Have you heard the latest moderator joke?

Everything is good in moderation!

Return to “General Discussion”