Regarding the FPS "gimmick" - Page 5

Regarding the FPS "gimmick"

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

mongus

Post by mongus »

and the mex weapon produces metal? :lol:

Alantai, as these bots are supposed to be concient... what kynd of concience they have?? liek a human? maybe just a lesser concience?

and do the labs have its onw concience for example?....

maybe just commanders are the ones that have this superior concience?

also, do they feel?, like emotions.. or even pain?..

well i know its a bit too much for just some lines in the opening movie...

just wondering around.

And yes zoombie, the fps thing in this machines would be something like a remote controlled vehicle (which is awfull for controlling), ... aint just easier to FPS them?... prolly.. so maybe the interface could "emulate" the fpsing mode...

nanites morphing... using organic cells or molecules as basis, i had think of that too.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Alantai assumptions about borg-like nanomachines: That assumes that the nanomachines used in TA are 'room temprature' nanomachines that can remain active and exposed to the air without some sort of stablizing method. Being that it takes a lot of energy to nanolathe a unit this seems unlikely.

More likely is that the nanomachines in TA while amazingly advanced by our standards are still victim to enviornmental stresses and can only opperate in an enviornment specifically taylored for them (the inside of factories and construction bots would have a special compartment that lets the nanomachines 'breed' faster building bots woudl have bigger/more efficent breeding tanks, and more advanced bots would have more complex nanomachines (using bots to represent all TA units)) once projected at a given target there orders are to quickly bind together into the required configurations before they are destroyed by enviornmental stresses (Hence why the stream must be constant instead of simply 'dropping a pill' and having it grow into the unit of your choice, and why units decay if only half built). Units capable of regeneration have a small nanomachine breeder internally, and use a series of tubes cycling through the bot so that when wounded nanomachines 'bleed' into the dammaged area and rebuild it.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

Maybe if you pressed a button like F1 or something, it would tell you the controls. Because i don't know how to fly planes and stuff.
And a third-person mode would be fun too.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Please quit digging up year-old posts... thanks.
WhiteHawk

Idea Request

Post by WhiteHawk »

Right, I know this post is mostly over a year old, and this could count as another MTR post, however, This IS the post for FPS 'Gimmick' requests. Well, in my current mod there are several SMALL, and mod freindly features I would like added, at some point.

The first, is the ability to select which weapons to fire, as GrOuNd_ZeRo suggested, using (w) to switch between weapons and shift_w to toggle all weapons/single weapons.

Secondly, I'm considerably les sure on whether this might 'break; existing mods is to display the weapons name instead of weapon 1/2/3 etc.

However this could break mods who use 'developer' names for weapons e.g. name=cor_krog_gun;.

These are rather specific to the mod I am currently working on which is based on BattleTech and as such weapon 1/2/3 cang et rather confusing when the mech loadout can contain many very varied weapons and guessing them in the heat of battle is not recommended.
- Just found out that this feature may already be in the next release.

WhiteHawk.

Helpful comments only please.
Last edited by WhiteHawk on 17 Apr 2007, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

display the weapons name instead of weapon 1/2/3 etc
Already does this in SVN. :-)

edit: atleast i think that my patch for it was comitted
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

FLOZi: it definitely works.
WhiteHawk

Post by WhiteHawk »

nice one FLOZi :)

Any thoughts on the first idea? Kind of imortant for the Battletech mod as most mechs will overheat if they fire all their weaposn in one go. :S

Also reading back I do like the cockpit idea...
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

About cockpits...

I just added the Lua Spring.GetPlayerControlledUnit() call. Combined with
a mod widget (or using LuaRules), and some textures, you could use it to
paste custom cockpit HUDs when you are controlling different types of units.
Here is an example of a textured HUD that I made to fake a working Ice GUI:

http://trepan.bzflag.bz/spring/fakeice3.jpg

You could also render the HUDs as 3D models (with lighting too).

P.S. SVN also has a Lua 3D model loader script. You could use it to import
a HUD model with tagged material names (to figure out which elements to
change dynamically). Here's a a loaded lua model...

http://trepan.bzflag.bz/spring/luamodel.jpg
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Thats AWESOME.
WhiteHawk

Post by WhiteHawk »

I agree with LOrDO, that is pretty awesome, thats 2/3 checked off my little list, any chance of selectables weapons?

Any devs know whether it is feasible?
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Bind a lua->cob call to a key, that sets a variable in the cob and jams weapons selectively.
Archangel of Death

Post by Archangel of Death »

Well... time to download the latest svn build and start working out my old lua muscles...

Return to “General Discussion”