Tapatalk - Page 2

Tapatalk

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Tapatalk

Post by Forboding Angel »

There are no free alternatives, and it costs all of a dollar.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It's annoying opening the forums up on a mobile and being pestered about tap a talk, sometimes i'm not in a position to buy and install it ( friends device ), it's also a bad experience for new users ( they came to spring site, they ended up at the tap a talk site, shouldn't they be on the download page? ).

A banner in the header of the forums, although fugly, would be a better user experience than a model popup window that halts all activity
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Google says there are several alternatives to tap talk. I just find it annoying when forum popups link to commercial software.. it feels so wrong..
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Although I do very much understand the sentiment of having a free alternative; I did not get tapatalk to exclusively view the spring forums. I got it for a number of other forums as well. I would rather not have to get yet another app to switch between, just to view another forum.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Licho wrote:Google says there are several alternatives to tap talk. I just find it annoying when forum popups link to commercial software.. it feels so wrong..
Whoever set it up, didn't checkbox the option to make tapatalk not announce itself. That isn't a tapatalk failing, that is an administrator failure. <- Emphasis

Just because google says there are tapatalk alternatives, doesn't mean that they are any good.

Let me point out the fail of using piwik instead of google analytics.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

@Forboding Angel:

there is no admin for it. tvo set it up but as you maybe have noticed he has no/very few time. so either give hints / make a pull request and fix this or Tapatalk can be removed as it seems to be unusable as it is.

also we are NOT using piwik! and i'm really against using more commercial stuff on springrts.com. the feedproxy urls in the community headlines still suck, i don't see any benefit of it. we only feed google with data.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It isn't something to change in the code. Tobi needs to go to the admin panel on the tapatalk thing and tell it not to announce itself.

Perhaps he should have left me as the keeper over it (like it was originally). I had it already set up properly, but he asked me to remove my entry so he could set it up himself.
or Tapatalk can be removed as it seems to be unusable as it is.
That is a load of bullshit. Tapatalk is working just fine. It announces itself ONCE when you visit the forums (and offers to open the forums in the app if you have it installed), which makes sense, cause otherwise, how would you know that the forum uses tapatalk (clearing cookies and cache of course will cause it to announce itself again)?

So essentially, wrt tapatalk, you want to remove features and convenience because you might see an alert once in a blue moon. Yeah, that's smart.

Piwik was in use on this site for a long while. Piwik is shit compared to google analytics. Using an alternative simply for the sake of it, is idiotic.
feedproxy urls in the community headlines still suck, i don't see any benefit of it. we only feed google with data.
Oh boo frickidy hoo. You know why it's useful? Metrics, that's why. So we can see how many people have subscribed to it, what users are clicking on the most, and how much overall traffic it is getting. SO google gets that anonymous usage data. Big frigging deal.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i only see how many time is wasted because of tapatalk, i don't see any benefit. the same for statistics, what are the benefits of it? you are the only person who can see the statistics, so it does help nothing, so please remove it.
Tapatalk is working just fine.
its useful for like 5 people -> waste of time!

also doesn't make tapatalk it easier for spammers? also its still commercial.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Why not use some sort of PHPBB mobile stylesheet? http://phpbb-mobile.com/ I don't know who's maintaining the forums these days but surely there's at least one good, easy to use plugin.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Sure, you could add that as an option, but it is nowhere near as good as tapatalk. I should not have to explain why.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

AF wrote:can't zoom
and also zooming is not required, on every page, to read the content
smoth

Post by smoth »

this site has pictures which are part of the conversation.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I'm pretty sure (not positive) that tapatalk does show pics and attachments which you can click on to blow up.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I regularly buy apps for my phone that I find useful. This annoying Tapatalk thing nags me on many forums and I refuse to pay for it. Screw them.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

This has been covered, it is a customizable option apparently that just needs to be turned off. Tapatalk support doesn't need to be removed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I sue zoom both on my pc an phone when I closely examine something
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yet you would expect to closely examine something on your phone?

When you click on the image in tapatalk, you can long press it in order to download the image, at which point you can do whatever you like with it.

You are also ignoring the fact that tapatalk is blazingly fast to navigate through forums. Why? Because tapatalk already has the content locally and doesn't need to re-download and send off another 200 database queries (of course exaggerated, it's probably about 20 - Which is still a lot, btw) for every page you view in order to display what you need.
AF wrote:Image
This is entirely inaccurate. Tapatalk asks ONCE. Period. If it is repeatedly asking then your phone browser is a pile of shit or you're just plain doing it wrong.

If you're using android, you have absolutely no excuse to not be using a great browser. There is Chrome (which is amazing), Firefox (really damn good) and the most popular browser, Dolphin HD.

If you're using an iPhail, well you have a little more cause to bitch because built in safari is pretty terrible, but you also have access to Chrome and Firefox as well.

And lastly, Tapatalk costs 3 fucking measly ass dollars. It would be different if we were talking about something that wasn't the price of a cheeseburger, but we aren't.

Tapatalk costs about 1/3rd the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Get over yourselves and quitcherbitchin.

The forums are practically unusable on a phone. People like smoth love to do shit like this the hard way, and that's fine, but for the vast majority of people, it borders on complete unusability.

The non-tapatalk experience could be made better by simply adding in a mobile theme for phpbb, but it's obvious that nobody cba.

God forbid one of you who is whining send an email to Tobi asking him to flip the notification switch (which is stupid, because it presents once, and only once, but whatever floats your boat).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:The forums are practically unusable on a phone. People like smoth love to do shit like this the hard way, and that's fine, but for the vast majority of people, it borders on complete unusability.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

opinions are opinions man, everyone's got one. The appropriate solution here is to disable the popup that annoys everyone. I think everyone can agree that the popup CAN be annoying (some might disagree that it can also be useful to tapatalk users, or don't care) arguing against the inclusion of tapatalk is not the solution that best fits both parties.

(not to anyone specifically but to this thread)

Return to “General Discussion”