OH LAWD!!! What happened to Springinfo!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

https://github.com/Tarendai/springinfo/issues

And where are the community headlines???

Short answer, don't worry, nothing has happened that will significantly impact you and community headlines will return as soon as abma gets home and has a chance to re-point the feed. :-)

Long answer is that Springinfo has pretty much outgrown it's usefulness as a website. As an aggregation service, it is still very useful, so that is what I have re-purposed it into.

Moreover, the site was taking a significant hit on my vps, to the point where it was negatively affecting my ability to do business in my personal life.

In my opinion, it is more useful this way anyway. Don't worry, I will be adding feeds as they are created to the community headlines just like was being done before.

On a side note, I have backed up the site files + the databases. If an admin wants to host the site on the spring server, I'll hand over the files and repoint the domain (but it's unnecessary imo).

Don't misunderstand, springinfo still exists, but it exists solely as an aggregation service for the community news.

I don't mean to ruffle any features with this, but I cannot afford to have it interfere with my business Like when I can't complete an invoice because the server shits the bed... not good).

My VPS is allowed 300mb of memory, here are some recent stats:
VPS Stats.jpg
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
I run more sites than springinfo and evolutionrts.info, and use a significant portion of the server for business use. I also use it for development work and use it to show previews of work I am doing for customers, etc. So having a server that randomly throws error 500s is not fun.

Thanks for your understanding. I'm sorry to have rocked the boat, but as far as the majority of you are concerned, this shouldn't change anything.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 12 Apr 2014, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
AF
AI Developer

Re: OH LAWD!!! What happened to Springinfo!

Post by AF »

Edit: Springinfo issues go here https://github.com/Tarendai/springinfo/issues

If Licho and the powers that be are happy, I can put it up on this server and maintain it.

In the meantime I'm happy to host it on my server though it wouldn't be as fast.

For those people griefstruck, there's always:

http://springnews.darkstars.co.uk/

I'm also curious to see if people would prefer any reincarnation of Spring Info be done afresh. It'd allow all the constraints and limits of preserving the old content to be thrown away
Last edited by AF on 12 Apr 2014, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Interestingly enough, my memory usage has dropped by 2/3rds since this change. Nice to know I made the right decision :-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Team Cola Lenker on the springrts.com frontpage! :o
Watch the 2012 promotion video of this most awesome racing team! :shock:
weeeeeeeee! 8)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

what... the fuck...

Is this your way of trolling? Or asking me to remove your youtube account from the list of feeds or...
knorke

Post by knorke »

dunno, it showed up there when i uploaded to youtube and i think that was funny.
still better than the other mangled randomness in the newsticker :regret:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yeah, it showed up there because the rss feed I was using was the feed for your youtube account. If you want, put spring stuff in a different category on youtube and I'll use the RSS from that category. Atm, I have just removed the feed.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The aggregator on springinfo had knorke and several other youtube feeds pulled in as 'pending review' for that very reason.

Perhaps you would be best setting up springinfo again somewhere out of sight on super cheap hosting, and not telling anybody the URL, and using it to curate rssmix?
knorke

Post by knorke »

Well a lot of the stuff is not frontpage worthy.
example:
https://plus.google.com/112422966135661 ... %20Feed%29

https://plus.google.com/112228438486109 ... ogle%2B%29
(It is also the same thing twice)

Not every interblogpost or file uploaded to springfiles must be listed.

Also iirc the links once were readable? Now they are some cryptic stuff and you can not see where it will take you...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Spring Files

Spring Files posts used to garner quite a bit of attention. You may not like them and you may think they don't belong there, but a lot of people certainly thought they were worth clicking on, and it was news, and it came from the community. A lot of stuff would be hidden and unknown if it weren't for them.

The only argument I see that's held any weight of any kind against the spring files feed was when people made mistakes and uploaded things they didnt intend to, but that's more a management issue rather than springfiles being irrelevant.

And if springfiles is dominating the feed maybe its because:
  • People aren't bothering to announce their new stuff, the only evidence it happened at all is the springfiles feed
  • People are refusing to post announcements in places that can be accessed via feed. Copy pasting into a blog, is too much time and effort (yes you don't have to rewrite it), and not everybody is willing to acknowledge the existence of sites like moddb ( which made Gundam and Conflict Terra updates in particular far far more visible )
Looking at the frontpage, thanks to springfiles, there is always links to the newest content, the feed is always filled with new links rather than the same old links persisting for weeks, and its a more reliable indicator of what's happening than it used to be.

Eitherway the very notion of that box is a flawed concept, so is the idea that in a healthy community it would update so slowly.

Readable Links

As forb has said several times now, he can't run SpringInfo as it was, so all my code to handle these things is no longer active. Instead he's relying on a free service. Thus, Forb isn't the one you should be complaining to, it's Google

Summary

The problems you cited all have solutions, which were in place. But as is mentioned, springinfo.info is not up and running, forb can't afford it. Until a better solution for hosting the site is found then this is what we're stuck with, and bickering over the feeds will benefit nobody.

Otherwise we would be in a position to curate, to sift through the springfiles and google+ updates and manually cherry pick ones that we liked and throw away ones we didn't.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Readable links are obscured (I think) because I am using google analytics to track users clicking those links (I have no idea if they are obscured otherwise, and really, who cares?). And by track, it goes no further than to record what they clicked on and how many people clicked it.

The stats are quite interesting. The news gets a surprising amount of traffic. Current most popular items are evo 2.8, nota release and ba chickens.

Knorke, the people who follow Evolution RTS on G+ are different from those who follow spring. The overlap is very small (basically because most evo users dunno wtf spring is, nor should they have to).

Therefore, when spring posts something, it makes a lot of sense to repost it as evo, I also repost it on my personal stream, cause over 500-ish people see that, and most of those people know about evo.

The easiest way to garner new traffic is to post items in places where the most people see it. If need be, in many different places.

People here seem to think that the community news is for them. It isn't really. It is so you can keep track of what is going on, but it is mainly there for new people to get a sense of what is going on (even if they don't know wtf it is, they'll start clicking around and reading).

Additionally, as AF well stated, it is much better to have a fast moving news feed that actually shows that shit is happening around here. If that newsfeed is dominated by Evo, ZK, and Springfiles because others cba to make posts about anything, so be it. It's better than seeing the same shit in the news feed for 3 weeks straight (which is what used to happen).
knorke

Post by knorke »

it is mainly there for new people to get a sense of what is going on (even if they don't know wtf it is, they'll start clicking around and reading).
Yes.
And that is why the newsticker is fail. Very little is interessting for new people. You must ask yourself, "this random news post could potentially the first thing a new visitor clicks. Is it interessting for him?"

This is actually interessting to read, even with no previous knowledge:
http://www.moddb.com/games/conflict-ter ... FeedBurner

Here I have only a vague idea what is going on:
https://plus.google.com/112228438486109 ... FeedBurner
For a new visitor, it means nothing. (like most posts)

Most news are like this: New random map was uploaded
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... adlines%29
If it was some text how the map was made, or what special software was used - great. But like this it is not frontpage worthy.
related to that:
People aren't bothering to announce their new stuff, the only evidence it happened at all is the springfiles feed
No.
Players can find new maps more easily by browsing http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps
On zero-k.info new maps get commented and tagged within a few days. The maps get added to autohost rotation etc. There is no need to have them on frontpage.

So maybe a lot of people click those links and get redirected to download some map, but most will not know to do there.
Its a trap!
(even if they don't know wtf it is, they'll start clicking around and reading).
No, because on most post there is nothing to read. Which is what I am talking about the whole time.
others cba to make posts about anything
I tried, stuff was taken out of context droned out by automatic rss spam.

tl;dr
Most of the news are imo frontpage unworthy, you might as well add
http://commanderlookingatthings.tumblr.com/ to the feed.
Rather have few good posts that stay for 3 weeks than noise where the good stuff is lost.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

knorke wrote:
it is mainly there for new people to get a sense of what is going on (even if they don't know wtf it is, they'll start clicking around and reading).
Yes.
And that is why the newsticker is fail. Very little is interessting for new people. You must ask yourself, "this random news post could potentially the first thing a new visitor clicks. Is it interessting for him?"
The statistics do not back your theory up.
This is actually interessting to read, even with no previous knowledge:
http://www.moddb.com/games/conflict-ter ... FeedBurner

Here I have only a vague idea what is going on:
https://plus.google.com/112228438486109 ... FeedBurner
For a new visitor, it means nothing. (like most posts)
To you, but interesting is a subjective term, and there are plenty of new people who will gain benefit from it, and plenty of people who aren't new at all who will garner something from that
Most news are like this: New random map was uploaded
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... adlines%29
If it was some text how the map was made, or what special software was used - great. But like this it is not frontpage worthy.
For you, but there have been several map uploads which have caught my eye and lead to forum discussions, e.g. the AI proving grounds map, which I would not have been aware of if it weren't for that feed.
related to that:
People aren't bothering to announce their new stuff, the only evidence it happened at all is the springfiles feed
No.
Players can find new maps more easily by browsing http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps
On zero-k.info new maps get commented and tagged within a few days. The maps get added to autohost rotation etc. There is no need to have them on frontpage.

So maybe a lot of people click those links and get redirected to download some map, but most will not know to do there.
Its a trap!
For which springfiles has directions on how to install, and I'd hope that the visitor has the most basic of common sense to think that the map might be for a free RTS engine, the very engine they were browsing the website of.

Even then, that box is not a primary or even a secondary call to action, they're far more likely to have also or only clicked on the barrage of buttons further up the page.
(even if they don't know wtf it is, they'll start clicking around and reading).
No, because on most post there is nothing to read. Which is what I am talking about the whole time.
others cba to make posts about anything
I tried, stuff was taken out of context droned out by automatic rss spam.

tl;dr
Most of the news are imo frontpage unworthy, you might as well add
http://commanderlookingatthings.tumblr.com/ to the feed.
Rather have few good posts that stay for 3 weeks than noise where the good stuff is lost.
[/quote]

Indeed I would add that feed, but keep in mind your wish for 3 good posts rather than a lot of stuff, is an utterly flawed desire, because thats not the point of the community news feed, and it is a desire that is fundamentally incompatible with the format and UI of that section of the frontpage.

The feed is not intended to highlight the greatest accomplishments of the community with the most recent ones first, its intended to:
  • Demonstrate that we are alive
  • Show what is new
What you want is 'featured news items', which a simple feed doesn't support. You're also overlooking the benefits of these other things.
  • Maps show what could be done with the engine, and spring files means we're more likely to follow the trend of what's the latest innovations, or popular. How many new users have arrived and started threads asking where they can find map XYZ, what the newest and latest maps they should download are? How many people do you think browsed TAMEC not because they hunted for a single map but because they were curious?
  • Maps and games being shown demonstrate that we're still alive and active, and most of all prolific. There is always something new, and that is noteworthy to new people
  • Things like that tumblr blog demonstrate we're not a Vulcan colony of procedural content creators, that we have players and an actual community to come to
  • Not everything will be to your taste, this is guaranteed no matter how permissive and open you are. There are things that are 'relevant' in a broad scope there that I don't find relevant at all and would rather not read, but I know there are others who DO read them, and do find a use for it.
  • Some of the feeds you object to post 'other' spring related news. For example a few of the items are posts by Licho to Zk that aren't about ZK itself, but the engine and lobby in general, and thus relevant to the community at large. Some of forbs posts show details that predate announcements of Koshis software, making the news newer than the original source!

So why not go back to how it used to be?

When I took control of springinfos direction, and added those feeds, and traffic started to change, me and forb looked at where it was coming from, and an overwhelming proportion of the rise in visits came from that single feed. People are using it more than ever, and it is more useful than ever.

Forboding, I'd like to resetup springinfo if possible, though probably best doing it on my own setup rather than your VPS. If you could make the arrangements via PM?
knorke

Post by knorke »

The statistics do not back your theory up.
post statistics then?
Out of interesst, how many people clicked my unrelated video while it was up, and how does that compare to eg this?
Clickrates are somewhat easy to generate (people will click about anything thats on a frontpage) but to get people to "buy" your product or get some usefull information across, is not.
People are using it more than ever, and it is more useful than ever.
First part maybe, second part imo no.
e.g. the AI proving grounds map, which I would not have been aware of if it weren't for that feed.
The feed would only have you directed to the download site, which would not have been very interessting: just another map. If the feed linked to the discussion thread on this forum, it might actually have made sense.

Imo it is nessecary that it is clearly visible where a news comes from.
"v2.6 is out the door"
"v1.0.3.7 + New Engine"
version 2.6 of what?

One news on frontpage was "Locking up Shop."
Oh spring discontinued? Nope, was about a game.
On some posts it says "zK" etc, so it is technically possible. (even if it has to be added manually in the title of the original source)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

All things that could have been corrected if it weren't for the unfortunate events that killed springinfo.

For example, the system could have prefixed and filtered things, all ZK posts would have had Zero-K: prefixes, etc etc

But right now there is no precise way of curating things. You're complaining that the 5m high hand with 10cm radius fingers should be able to make the mona lisa on the pin head smile the right way, because the electron microscope we can't afford anymore could do it.

We know there are problems, the current feed could be better, but we lack the tools to do so. The tools we used to have could have fixed these things, but we don't have them anymore, and complaining about what we already know does absolutely nothing but waste our time.
knorke

Post by knorke »

ok, if you are aware, nevermind then. From previous posts it seemed to me like the current status was seen as "good."
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:complaining about what we already know does absolutely nothing but waste our time.
but you might not, so the critique should still happen.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote:ok, if you are aware, nevermind then. From previous posts it seemed to me like the current status was seen as "good."
Current status is fine. Stop creating issues out of nothing, please.

Remove your links so that they stop breaking the forum layout.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:
AF wrote:complaining about what we already know does absolutely nothing but waste our time.
but you might not, so the critique should still happen.
I welcome critique but the critique has already happened, makes little sense for a second round.

I personally aren't entirely happy with it myself but I still hold its better than what we had before, and there's not a lot I can do about ti right now anyway until I've discussed things with forb anyway.
jj

Post by jj »

If server resources are are a problem, consider to host springinfo at the springfiles server.
There are plenty of resources left.

Return to “General Discussion”