Spring more popular with EA - Page 4

Spring more popular with EA

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Re: Spring more popular with EA

Post by Jools »

I think that's interesting. How old are these guys with the language barrier then? I wouldn't want to play a game that's translated to my language.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Careful, EA has no respect for open sauce and wants to buy Spring for 100 billion dollars
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:On the language barrier:
Maybe some visitors indeed do have problems with reading lots of english text. But the question is, why do you have to read so much text in the first place? For playing a video game you should not have to read much more than "hit space to shot web."
I remember playing games with no english skills at all and just randomly clicked around to figure things out. (c&c, wing commander etc)
lol yeah, doesn't stop my weaboo ass from importing gundam games from Nihon and playing the shit out of them :). As long as we have the common numbers and a few words/colors to go by we are good. (inbeforeIAMCOLORBLIND, sucks to be you).
knorke wrote:As the linuxguys review writes:
there's too much information you need to digest.
I think that is true. From installing, to joining a match, to actually playing the game.
This thread too, too much text that was already written in similiar form, hf.
yeah that is a hassle. Pity his operating system is such a cunt about installers. I hate 'nix because making an installer is a royal pain for all the different "WAFFLEIRONV2" distros. I would have sympathy for a windows or mac user but seriously it is a pain to try and do 'nix installers, I honestly looked into it and said fuck it after finding out how very messed up it all is. it isn't like windows where I can just zip up a directory.. I would have to have a different zip for all their goofy distros.. why can't it be EASIER!?!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

smoth wrote:why can't it be EASIER!?!
That's a good question. Maybe the people who use linux like to solve problems? But that's why their share is only about 1 % of the total.

Mac has about 10 % and windows 90%. That leads me to question why Spring puts so much effort into maintaining a linux distro, when there are 10 times as many mac people for instance. Okay, it makes sense if the costs of maintaining a linux version are 1/10th of the mac version for example.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Maybe because a lot of the open source guys are linux and many of the devs are? Why are we using GL instead of DIRECTX? I honestly can't say.
knorke

Post by knorke »

windows: users need everything to work with one click.
linux: users want many funny config files and shell commands and everything should be constantly updating.
mac: users want a sleek dgun button.
-------
=spring has most potential on linux.
smoth

Post by smoth »

don't follow you. so spring has the most potential on linux because windows users are used to quick installs?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Because:
Dedoimedo Spring test wrote:
I must admit that Spring sounds a little overwhelming, because there's too much information you need to digest. Unlike a typical game, which is a single download, single installation, straightforward play, Spring is almost like a Linux distribution. You need to download the engine first, then add the extra components. The modular nature adds flexibility, but it also increases the complexity.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yet we have
smoth wrote:installer
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

What would be the harm of including some mods (games) with the normal spring installer? I don't think Cavedog cares any more anyway that we use their models.
dcore221

Post by dcore221 »

its all about performance if you want to improve this game you need room to maneuver, for what this game is and how it looks its very expensive performance wise

the single threaded version of spring should be scrapped and focus purely on improving mt who now days still has a single core cpu? lua effects need to work with mt without bogging it down, pathfinding needs to be fixed its a waste of cpu power, also i brought this up before spring doesn't use any graphics memory its a waste of a untapped resource
a 64bit version would be nice too

also what is the plan for BAR? he seems preoccupied with other things now, what will happen if he doesn't finish the models? will the dream slowly die?
people need to step up and get this mod finished it has huge potential
im willing to contribute anyway i can
im signed in lobby most of the time message me i dont mind helping out
smoth

Post by smoth »

says the guy who cannot even resolve a null reference error.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Everyone whining about windows installers is wrong. Install ZK, it is a one click download-everything installer. The user never touches a file.
And it does look "godawful."
This is at most an argument against encouraging random people to market. The UI looks nothing like that, what you see there is a lot of messing with widgets and ctrl-f11.
wolas

Post by wolas »

Who wanted to post it on slashdot yeah it would get many hits, and probably zero-k and spring would be slashdoted before anybody know what it is :)
But why not post on phoronix? it is popular too it has section "linux gaming" so if you want announce new release you definitly can do it.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Spring was slashdotted once. Nothing much happened.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

wolas

Post by wolas »

I just remembered. First game I wanted to try was kernel panic (linux user lol ) and it was pain in the ass for newb to try it on it is damn confusing. Then another time I finally manged get spring and springlobby runing dont remember what I did not understand now, but fact is for newbs it is confusing.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Wishe we had a instant game lobby. One that doesent ask for your name, doesent require you to download anything. You just click, and you get shoved into your first game, not even having a choice of any kind. What settings and details are there exactly which cant be requested afterwards?
Bonuspoints if it pairs you up with another noob.
Even more Bonuspoints if a bot is involved whos only job is loosing spectatcular and make you feel good.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

knorke wrote:
Reportedly most of them eventually stopped playing because of the language barrier.
Can you be sure of that?
Generally not much reading is needed to play a computer game. Most germans can read english but maybe there was just too much reading and clicking and not enough pew pew.
In a mostly online team game they need to be able to communicate.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

In a mostly online team game they need to be able to communicate.
Say wesnoth online players who don't know english can generally play ok, even if they can't reliably communicate with their allies.

Though, tbh, i'm not sure if that should be filed towards wesnoth's extensive i18n support (both in engine and in content), or towards it having quite a few single player campaigns where people can learn stuff. Probably both in fact (learning stuff in your own native language, no unfamiliar speakage from foreign capitalist country involved)

Return to “General Discussion”