Thank you - Page 3

Thank you

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Thank you

Post by smoth »

SirArtturi wrote:
Tim-the-maniac wrote:Ah this is sad..
Trademark gets banned for a nothing post while Smoth continues to spout garbage :( This place is backwards. Its a shame people care about these forums enough to leave. TM contributed some fun stuff that people actually used -- who would care if we lost the 2 biggest drama makers here. We lose 2 games no-one plays, and a few maps that no-one plays and also we lose a whole heap of retarded posts too. (can you guess who they are yet ?)
To whom 2 are you referring? Shame on you. We don't want to lose anyone.
Tim's off his meds again.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Knorke, it's empty because I haven't cultivated it. I haven't cultivated it because I don't have time. I don't have time because this is for the most part a 1 man enterprise with others helping from time to time (for the past year that someone helping has been koshi).

Life sucks, but I'm doing what I can.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You know what really killed this community?

It wasn't the players, nor the attitudes, not BA, nor DSD. Those may have contributed to it, but what really killed the community is the lobbies.

Every damn one of them are awful. Just plain awful. I feel like the worst kind of an asshole saying this because koshi and BD have done so much to try to improve SL, but it's the truth.

You know the number 1 complaint I get from my users? The Lobby. All worded slightly differently, but all saying the same thing. The lobbies are too hard to use/suck/etc.

I have been holding out for SASI as a bit of a last hope, but I don't know the status of SASI, and in the meantime, sometime fairly soon (assuming he decides to actually do it), totalbiscuit will be doing a wtf is video on Evo.

IF he manages to not get so pissed at the lobby, that he just uninstalls the game, I think he will be impressed, but I can already hear it in my head what he will say about the lobby.

That's where ALL of us lose.

To make it worse, all the lobbies are 1 MAYBE 2 man projects at this point, so it isn't like it's their fault either.

Tbh, what we need more than anything, and we need it right frigging now, is a lualobby for all of us to use. Of course the old way would still work, but for any new blood, we need a nice clean simple lobby system.

But whatever, I'll just be ignored again as usual :-/
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

the problem behind the lobby is ego. Everyone for his mod, and only one or two for all. Im not completely faultfree there either. Abstract stuff we all would benefit off in the longterm (like the lobbys-> also zero-k and weblobby, so youre wrong forb) but yeah, we dont agree easily on comon targets. Only group of persons who does that all the time are the devs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

What am I wrong about picasso? You say I'm wrong but don't say about what.

Moreover, you did nothing to refute any of my points. You only sidestepped a little bit.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Spring's as dead as the demoscene is.

Talking is the past.
Doing is the Future.

BADSD is the past.
ZKL and SWL are the future.

Relinquish the past and embrace a Whole New World.
aegis

Post by aegis »

AF wrote:For example, I offered a bot called modbot to swiftspear that logged administrators and moderators on the lobby so that we would know exactly who had access and who didn't regardless of wether they were logged on, squashing several rumours that people such as Tsuyosa had second accounts with admin privileges. It was built and tested but never deployed, swiftspear liked it but didn't have the acumen and power to put it in place.
we have code in place - I audit the active admins/moderators and prune privileges as necessary.

re: bots, it's actually possible to invoke a server-side blacklist/whitelist (ban/allow system) for channels atm.

lobby clients - we need very simple, clean, and usable stuff. this has been attempted with mixed results.
knorke

Post by knorke »

what we need more than anything, and we need it right frigging now, is a lualobby for all of us to use.
"lua lobby" will be some additionally lua functions that somebody then has to make the actual lobby with.
Reminds me alot of "we need an ingame menu for singleplayer, so we can have missions. That would be so rad.", which once it was made possible did not really take off either.
Knorke, it's empty because I haven't cultivated it. I haven't cultivated it because I don't have time.
Yes, that is the problem I mean. Same has happend or will happen to the other forums. So why make seperate forums if you do not have the time for it...
we dont agree easily on comon targets. Only group of persons who does that all the time are the devs BA players.
:shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Because the last place I want any Desura users coming is here. You guys know nothing of how the Desura install works and would cause much confusion and chaos and ultimately, trouble for me.

That and games should have their own communities. I suggested long ago the the engine should be our own little steam in where we are all intertwined. Didn't happen and we were left to fend for ourselves.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

so much drama :D i feel like reading same thread over and over again. everything here was said multiple times. how about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY0xgRA_ ... re=related
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Having your own little communities only works if they're interconnected enough and populous enough to exist. It has been done here but in most cases it hasn't worked. So far the only one that really appears to be holding its own right now that I know of is ZK, I can't comment on spring 1944 or others.
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke what is wrong with z's singleplayer work?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

How far along is lua lobby? All you really need is a sockets API and an environment to put the UI in prior to launching the game, everything else can be built on top for the most part.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't need it outside of game, in game is sufficient. I plan on placing the user in a sandbox level while they wait in chat/lualobby
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

MidKnight wrote: ZKL and SWL are the future.
Thats what he said Forb. Man, i have real trouble to stay serious by now, its actually more difficult then beeing the court jester.

Still, nothing wrong with bashing the past into 2dimensions?
knorke

Post by knorke »

smoth wrote:knorke what is wrong with z's singleplayer work?
It is good, few games use it. (kp and grts, i dont remember if it is in evo too)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The community doesn't appear to be dead. The forum community is still arguing with one another, the lobby community is still playing games.
Tim-the-maniac

Post by Tim-the-maniac »

Yan for community lead o/
Also bring back Tired to deal with the fuckwits
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Tim does have a point (that earlier post) that if the administration has laxer standards for disciplining content creaters, then Trademark should have as much leeway as anyone. Suddenly it's pretty impossible to look at all those old replays from years back that were on Adune, even if someone takes his place at hosting new reps site (made with whoevers code).

I never actually realised he was banned. Why was it, and why permanently? And do admins/mods still stand by this decision fully?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I remember he was on a pretty solid trolling run and then kept going until he was banned. It wasn't 1 post like the trolls in this thread would have you believe it was a consistent and repeated string of offenses over a fairly short period. I didn't know he was permanent banned though, I thought I was a 1 week or something.

Return to “General Discussion”