I want YOUR marketing ideas - Page 3

I want YOUR marketing ideas

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

zerver
Spring Developer

Re: I want YOUR marketing ideas

Post by zerver »

Big battles and high FPS > fancy graphics.

Because Spring is an Engine, and this implies an additional overhead for any eyecandy, I think it will always be behind the latest RTS games in terms of visuals. Flexibility and performance don't go hand in hand.
smoth

Post by smoth »

momfreeek wrote:ok, here's my awesome marketing plan.

BADSD :: hardcore multiplayer online battle arena! Control massive armies of nanoengineered robots from the tiny flea to the skyscraper sized KROGOTH!

TECHER: protected by your teammates you must develop the ultimate weapons to destroy the enemy from afar: heavy bombers, nuke launchers, lumbering robot behemoths and multi-barrelled plasma cannons raining destruction!

PUSHER: on the front lines, take ground, and build defences and draw the lines of battle. No fear: charge in with your commander and destroy anything instantly with his deadly D-GUN!

SUPPORT: probe weakness in the enemy battle lines. Can you reach the enemy techers before they finish their WMDs?

free2play! download it now:
http://springrts.com/wiki/Download

now we just need some spambots. what the worst that could happen?
This is good, now start doing some class stuff and add ui elements for scoring these people out and you can start to have something with more mass market appeal. "we need another pusher, someone pick pusher" "but I wanna tech" etc
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote:Also i think Spring need fancier graphics or atleast something a bit more to offer what other RTS canno't. Maybe they will listen to it finaly
Define this clearer..
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

abma wrote:the best marketing would be, to improve the lobby-server + lobby-clients...
Karl wrote:Also i think Spring need fancier graphics or atleast something a bit more to offer what other RTS canno't. Maybe they will listen to it finaly
smoth wrote:This is good, now start doing some class stuff and add ui elements for scoring these people out and you can start to have something with more mass market appeal. "we need another pusher, someone pick pusher" "but I wanna tech" etc
Its all very well pointing out *important* improvements that *need* to happen but my point is pretty much that we already have a proven game that people come and play and enjoy, why can't you just market whats there already? Yeah, its not for everybody, but so what?
zwzsg wrote:
Jazcash wrote:Spring and its games are not ready for marketing.
It either is, even was, or will never be.
smoth

Post by smoth »

momfreeek wrote:Its all very well pointing out *important* improvements that *need* to happen
Because my role in all of this is as a content developer. I can MAKE these features exist.
momfreeek wrote:but my point is pretty much that we already have a proven game that people come and play and enjoy, why can't you just market whats there already?
Depending on what you mean by market I do or don't do that already. Now, am I going to devote my personal time to trying to advertise BA? if that is what you are trying to say? No, I am not. I think BA is an eyesore and am not going to devote copious amounts of time to it. However, I do lend a hand where I can on the content development front.
momfreeek wrote:Yeah, its not for everybody, but so what?
That is exactly the wrong attitude. It can be for everyone, there are many spring games showing engine flexibility and the more gameplay that is developed by content developers the more flexible the engine becomes for new projects. The more creative new projects can become the better the projects will be and we will see more and more projects using the engine. For a player perspective that means there is a good possibility there will be something that excites or attracts people. Spring's current biggest strength and weakness is that it's games largely function the best for powernerds who like to try and tweak the system as much as possible to give themselves an unfair advantage.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
momfreeek wrote:but my point is pretty much that we already have a proven game that people come and play and enjoy, why can't you shouldn't someone just market whats there already?
momfreeek wrote:Yeah, its not for everybody, but so what? that doesn't mean it won't appeal to some people as it is.
Bums on seats playing the game means something is working. Marketing this proven product means more bums on seats. That doesn't preclude improving it or making something else or marketing that.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

smoth wrote: Define this clearer..
Spring has been development for about 6~ Years.
Yet it looks more like an 2000-2003 RTS with hardly improvment (not counted the features it supports).
And by it's look on the first time it still look like Swedish Yankspanker production and not Spring today. Even through it has alot of "improvments" and etecera...

Oddly enough Spring or TA:Spring got several times be avaible to download from other Popular website. Yet it isn't that much popular

1. Compare Spring about that timeline.
2. Now Compare it with other RTS.
3. Compare Spring again.
4. See the difference? Especially about it's start time and release time.

Heck i would rather play TA:Spring instead of Spring RTS it wont make much of a difference (not gameplay wise)

Yes i know most of it is Visual moaning and Visual stuff is not that important but for the sake of it some bit more work on it could be done.

Especially the old ancient standard explosion generator
which looks
1. Ugly as hell
2. It isn't well optimized
3. Hasnt be updated for years.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Spring is not a game.

Your inability to make efficient CEG, and refusal to listen to any advice, is not Spring's problem.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I ve taken all suggestion threads, and compiled them- still no nicer explosions. Something wrong with my compiler :D

We could clone some devs... i could get samples of Behe and JC ;)
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

FLOZi wrote:Spring is not a game.
I am aware of this but i was comparing here the Standard game/mods Which would be XTA because it is the default game or was thill SY vanished
smoth

Post by smoth »

Karl wrote:
I am aware of this but i was comparing here the Standard game/mods Which would be XTA because it is the default game or was thill SY vanished
when spring was released it could play SW:TA and shortly afterwards, gundam annihilation.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

At the time it had an Similar goal like TA:3D so it is obvious that it would work , if you looked on the 2005-6 Thread there were support for TA styled mods and all the like which was one of the reason to have a Total Annihilation as an Prefix
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Please allow me to amend:
Before spring was released it ran SW:TA
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Karl wrote:
This is crazy... why would you take XTA as the game that shows what Spring can do?

For a far better look at what Spring can do you should look at all the current games.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

XTA is a current game.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Google_Frog wrote:This is crazy... why would you take XTA as the game that shows what Spring can do?
Karl wrote: XTA because it is the default game or was thill SY vanished
smoth

Post by smoth »

years and year and years ago..
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Timeline:

4 billion years ago: Earth is formed

4000 BCE: earth is created according to the scientologists

1 CE: Date format switches from negative to positive

1879 CE: The Eiffel tower is built

1997: Total Annihilation is released

2007: XTa is no longer the main mod of Spring

2011: Mod is now called game.

Feel free to add own points. It's not so many years ago :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

For reference, the goal of Spring was NOT the same as TA3D.

TA3D went to great lengths to duplicate the OTA engine in 3D going as far as supporting the map format.

Spring out the box had many behaviours which differed from OTA, many intentional, and many more planned. Examples include SJs desire for an energy web ( which never arose), or that when spring was released, the SYs had deliberately gone for metal fields rather than metal spots, which is why we have metal extractor ranges etc.

The reason Spring supports any TA content at all is because the SYs, admittedly, could not produce content, and they already had the XTA mod for the OTA engine, so they modified it to run under the spring engine and added the necessary support to load the 3d0 models and read the TDFs. No GAF support was ever added. No map support was added. An OTA AI clone was never built ( although a year or two later attempts were made to duplicate the AI and its configuration files, and even that deviated )
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Just takes what allready goes, and expand the idea. People want to play DSD, fine, why not actually make a mod that supports them.
Meaning two RTSes combined. One original TA, all about tactics, and battle, the other one a sort of hightech Settlers, where you do nothing but building up bases, researching, building defenses and units, to hand over to the advanced players, who are severely basebuilding limited.

Both sides trolled hard into depending upon each other.
To train the settlers, they get comando-jobs autoassigned (drop three artillerys behind enemy lines to unlock this or that archievment)...

I know, we shall hate our successes, and not lose a word about those. Same goes for planetwars. Its one huge player magnet. Nobody praises zk for this archievment- people- playing other maps, but silence.

No improvementsuggestions. No idea, to make that "the guild wants you to play, or you will lose-" bigger. Little Desktoptool that shows how desperate your clan is for your help, would do wonders. Suggested by? Noone.

Planetwars eating other artists? Just suggest that every planets window gets its unique backgroundpicture, and make a competition out of it on deviant art? Again not heard off again.

How about a currency called favour? Means people who help can buy something in return. For example Forb or Smoth could buy for helping the ZK Team out here and there, planets, that can only be conquered by playing a Gundam or Evo match upon.

How about implementing KernelPanic as a PlanetWars Minigame, were you can hack yourself into the infrastructure of a Planet, deactivating its defenses?

Oh, noes, my game has to stand on its own, my pride demands it.

I know im a fun spoiler, because the whole "sum_buddy_doe_sum_thing" is no longer funny, if there are realistic suggestions on the desk, improving everbodys exp.

*To all haters, you can put Picasso on your Igore-List anytime*
Moderation

Return to “General Discussion”