engine vs game installers [split from springfiles thread] - Page 4

engine vs game installers [split from springfiles thread]

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
XTA Developer

Re: engine vs game installers [split from springfiles thread]

Post by Jools »

hoijui wrote:yeah, i guess that makes sense for a short- till mid-term workaround.
for the long run, could we possibly use multi layered demo file endings?
something like {time-stamp}_{map}.{game}.{engine-devsion}.sdf?
can such long file-endings be registered in windows/linux/mac, and are there other problems with such an approach?
How about adding that info as flags to the file attribute instead? Then we could filter and sort on maps/mods in the replay folder instead using the standard windows UI.

Are we now calling mod = game officially?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote:Are we now calling mod = game officially?
yes! i hope all for gamers visible references to "mods" are removed, if you still find one, please let me know.
Jools wrote: How about adding that info as flags to the file attribute instead? Then we could filter and sort on maps/mods in the replay folder instead using the standard windows UI.

this info is already in the demo files.

the problem is:

what to do, when the same engine version is installed multiple times.

for maps/games:
the archivemover can't know, where to install files.

for demo files:
.sdf needs to be registered to a specific .exe. what if the .exe is the correct version, but the needed map/game is only avaiable for the second installation of the same game version?

so, archivemover is obsolete and maybe the file association, too. (use a lobby instead for that, manual register, or run by command line)
se5a

Post by se5a »

smoth wrote:or it could just read springconfig and go by the directory there.
The new version does this.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

KDR_11k wrote:People installing the engine will persist until there's a proper BA+engine installer because currently that's the most popular game. People want to play BA and currently they have to jump through hoops to get there.
+1

All this hard work to empty the lobby of those old Folks, reading it for the thousands yet to come, waiting to pour in, it cant have been invain.

Srsly, dont include any games with the Engiendownload. And remove the links to other Games, they just distract my future audience from jw.

Isnt this hillirious, Pithikos, i know your friend trys to find a flat "ready to move in" but if you can keep him waiting just a little longer 2(years), and if he is strong enough to move some furniture, and install the windows, electricity and door himself, i can offer him quite a skycastle, that outshines anything to be found on the intertubes today. ;)

My Skycastle features a:
-balcony
-3 swimming pools
- pegasusstables
-thousands of others players
-easy to get there (just grow some magic beans)

PS: Can your friend lay bricks with clouds? If he is willing to work, instead of playing, he has to wait for just one year, for the fun he came originally, instead of having fun anywhere else on the unentertaining city that is the intertubes. Never seen a discussion who aimed so high, and hit so hard into its own foot.

I think actually the whole projects move away from the Engine is one big mistake. Because if something doesent work, if there is nobody to play, they return to the engine and its base comunity, and meet it. Here in the boards, here in main, here in BA. So if there is no soft pillow to land, and no magnet to keep, you are all recruting lemmnigns.

Best to see Spring as a sort of non-cloudy-steam, the diffrent Games, just all one happy library, and moving between them as easy as thinking "I-want-to"

Return to “General Discussion”