engine vs game installers [split from springfiles thread]

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

knorke:
split from springfiles thread.
-----------

Pithikos wrote:I also think the website is quite a mess. I told a friend about Spring and that he needed to download maps and mods from springfiles to play.
There is no need to lie to people. Tell your next friend to simply load up ZK Lobby and join a battle. No website.
Pithikos

Re: SpringFiles

Post by Pithikos »

CarRepairer wrote:
Pithikos wrote:I also think the website is quite a mess. I told a friend about Spring and that he needed to download maps and mods from springfiles to play.
There is no need to lie to people. Tell your next friend to simply load up ZK Lobby and join a battle. No website.
I am not lying. No one will ever try a new game that takes half day just figuring out how to install. I myself would not be that keen to play a game that had 10 steps to install it and I think that goes to any user. Or isn't almost everyone using Windows, iPhones, Macs for just that reason?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Ambiguity removal (I have an internet degree is untangling Carp humour):
CarRepairer wrote:
The lie that CarRepairer refers to is bolded.

To be clearer; he doesn't think you're lying to us. He thinks you lied to your friend.
Pithikos

Post by Pithikos »

Google_Frog wrote:Ambiguity removal (I have an internet degree is untangling Carp humour):
CarRepairer wrote:
The lie that CarRepairer refers to is bolded.

To be clearer; he doesn't think you're lying to us. He thinks you lied to your friend.
Have I missed something then? From what I remember Spring doesn't ship with any mods or maps.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

(not spring game or so...)

if you want a game installer, go here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/GamesDownloads
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Pithikos wrote: Have I missed something then? From what I remember Spring doesn't ship with any mods or maps.
I think he means ZK lobby downloads everything that is need by itself so no need to visit springfiles.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pithikos wrote:Have I missed something then? From what I remember Spring doesn't ship with any mods or maps.
hi but many games ship with spring and maps now.

car probably shouldn't have used "lie" he should have said "unintentionally mislead" you didn't intend to deceive you just didn't know any better.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

You are taking that a bit too serious, no?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fairy guy seems mad car was accidentally heavy with his choice of words just trying to calm things down
Pithikos

Post by Pithikos »

abma wrote:Image

(not spring game or so...)

if you want a game installer, go here:
http://springrts.com/wiki/GamesDownloads
That's what I mean. A bunch of different whistles to just tryout the game. In my opinion Spring should ship with the top 10 mods and top 10 maps. Also the dummy end user should never have to sit and study the difference between an engine and a mod.

But yeah I guess I am quite off topic here :regret:
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't agree with that it puts too much burden on the devs.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Sigh. I regret my colorful choice of words.

Pithikos please go back and read only the second sentence of my post. You still are not understanding it.
Pithikos

Post by Pithikos »

CarRepairer wrote:Sigh. I regret my colorful choice of words.

Pithikos please go back and read only the second sentence of my post. You still are not understanding it.
Well I never playied ZK so I guess that's the reason :roll:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If you want a game, download a game. If you download an engine, your going to get an engine.

I don't see what there is to complain about. A game engine is not a top 10 pack of games. Go start another thread requesting a compilation pack.
Pithikos

Post by Pithikos »

AF wrote:If you want a game, download a game. If you download an engine, your going to get an engine.

I don't see what there is to complain about. A game engine is not a top 10 pack of games. Go start another thread requesting a compilation pack.
Well I can't do that as I will get bombarded. Thing is that I don't have the knowledge neither the motivation to sit and do that myself. So just asking for things will get some strange gazes on me. Will probably get the type of answers "Great idea, will you sit down and do it?".

And talking realistically, spring-engine is a game. I can see that the engine is quite hardcoded without even looking at the source.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Pithikos wrote:And talking realistically, spring-engine is a game. I can see that the engine is quite hardcoded without even looking at the source.
its a engine as it isn't planed to contain a playable game. this is just ignorant.

next time let him (your friend) download the spring installer, setup a game in lobby and let him download with the lobby download system.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Yes I think the revelation that their is code in the engine is a triumph of logical reasoning, that makes all other achievements of the 21st century pale in comparison.

The engine is an engine. Try and launch it with no maps or games and tell me exactly how much of the content is hardcoded.

*5 minutes later*

Yes there was no content! Well... there was a pretty picture of palm trees on a beach map somewhere, and some buttons that didn't do anything, but I'm sure Ataris lawyers will take care of this. Foilage is a legal menace that must be stamped out at all costs.

If after all this you still think the engine is a hardcoded game that lets you twiddle which direction peewees face, then the solution is NOT to bundle games

( but the engine is a game you say? We dont need to bundle the top 10 games, apparently it already is one so we're sorted no? )

The solution is to stop average players downloading the engine, and point them towards the games instead, and to make the engine more of an engine.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pithikos wrote:And talking realistically, spring-engine is a game.
PFFFFFFFFFFT HA HA HA
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

AF, you still can get lawsuited for feigning commission of a fringment crime. After all, you started this rumour that with spring you could play ATARIs IP. Now, we have expensive lawyers, and surely you will pay them and write your names under this cease and desist. Thank you.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ataris lawyers will not be able to do a thing thanks to deforestation of the JPEG shown when running spring.exe directly. No traces of foliage will remain

Return to “General Discussion”