please make the berthasound more quiet!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

Its really disturbing when a bertha or vulcan is firing for minutes. the sound is 10 times louder than all other sounds and that really sucks. For me its a reason never to build them, but in multiplayer you cant forbide it to your enemies and so i have a lot of games where i only think "please kill me quick or i will leave".
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

*blinks*
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

or make all sounds louder :D
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

hmm, I like the booming Berthas. I especially like the Vulcans in UH with their freaky echoes, that's some scary shit.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Big guns should have loud sounds imo. Well here is yet another useless wishlist item, make sound-specific volume settings!
:P
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

FizWizz wrote:hmm, I like the booming Berthas. I especially like the Vulcans in UH with their freaky echoes, that's some scary shit.
Ya, I love the vulcan sound "HAHA someone wasted tonnes of metal, now I have to break my speakers for the next half hour!"
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

It is a little too loud, same as DGun.
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

They are powerful weapons what do you expect

a dgun wont sound right if its soft
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

the biggest complain about sound by me is when u zoom out you almost hear notting anymore...
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

same although i agree the dgun is a nice hard sound it is also way too loud in comparison to other sounds
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

D gun is ok, cause u dint hear this sund every second. But if your are fireing with 2 Vulcans i often wanna put off the sound. And you CANT zoom out when u hear this sound cause its on the whole map!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I acctually have killed my sound to get rid of vulcan noise before. It drowns everything else out, and if I'm playing without my headphones on it wakes up everyone in the house.
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

Maybe the sound needs some 'rescaling'? I also have the problem of not hearing anything besides loud warning sounds, when I play zoomed out(which I do pretty much all the time).
Pxtl

?

Post by Pxtl »

2 vulcans? If you're on a map with 2 vulcans, something is very wrong. Unless you've got a mod with a "keeper" in play, the game could've been ended with conventional Bertha/Intimidator fire a long time ago.

And if it's a mod with the keeper, then the modder should realise that berthas and intimidators will be used for much longer periods than in normal play, and should scale back the sound.
BadMan

Post by BadMan »

I love the BB sound. When it fires, you hear the thunder roar and vibrate your speakers. First time I heard it, it gave me a feeling of power!

The BB sound is awesome, why would you hate such a lovely sound?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Because they've had their music on so loud they forget that it's being piped through a pair of earphones, and now it hurts their ears when anything louder than a peewee fires.

I'd have thought that windows/linux sound management progs such as soundmanager or volume settings could level the sound off at the extremes for you..
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

hey sorry but only cause you are already numb, i dont wanna destroy my ears with a computer game! Make it so that its only noticable on the place where it is fireing or hitting the ground or make it a lot more quiet (or the best way - both).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

well Zaphods suggestion is the only suggestion I think merits consideration as it provides a useful feature for modders.

You can always take the sound and make it quieter directly by unpacking the abse archives finding the firing sound and modifying it then sending ti abck to the SY's, or you could change your system settings to suite your preferences if you know how.

Otherwise I would suggest you could hear it from further away, like in OTA I coudlt ell an enemy had a bertha because I heard ti so I would start looking fi I didnt alreayd knwo where ti was or at least kenw I was too late to blow ti up knowing it had started firing. Making it onyl heard nearby eliminates this, and gets rid of gameplay which is bad. I suggest we hear it from further away, noize is right, sounds should carry on further so we can use them strategically and not just as minor tactical pleasures or as a FPS feature.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

sounds should carry on further so we can use them strategically and not just as minor tactical pleasures or as a FPS feature.
Where is that a strategical feature? You hear the sound on thw whole map and everywhere the same loudness. So call me where u wanna search for it? And if a Bertha is fireing at your base you WILL see it.. perhaps not the first shot, but you will see the explosions early enough.
I dont think so that I can reduce the sound of the Bertha only on my PC, cause than i cant play with others.
And what is so wrong with making it more quiet? Did i say to put it off? It shall be loud, but not as loud as a bulldozer in front of my window and when i play at tnight, my neighbours didnt want to be waken up -.-
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Well you must have your speakrs up loud, I was only just pummeling NTAI in a 90 min playtest by sending over con swarms and building rows of berthas, they didnt sound that loud to me, infact they sounded quieter than the construction started sound made by 200 adv aircons.

Your problem is a sound config problem not an engine/mod problem.

Either that or you have unusually sensitive ears.

And as for your comment on the gameplay factor, if ti sounds the same across teh whole map then I hope it's a small map otherwise we have some changes to make so the sound falls off better.

Return to “General Discussion”