Newer Springers 'Rookie Squad'

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Who got involved with Spring because it looked like a cool engine/game, rather than because of TA ties?

I know I'm one, and the CT crew seem to fall into that category, but who else?

I'm talking about content creators mainly but I guess players count too.
Kenku

Re: Newer Springers 'Rookie Squad'

Post by Kenku »

Looking at the classes Id actually say Im in the middle. A buddy of mine about 3 years ago introduced me to AA, which I thought was cool, although I got tired of "Core Prime Metal Map Porc and Tech!", and the small bugs with it. In my own curiosity, a google search brought up Spring, and well...thats where it went from there.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I had probably about 5 hours of TA under my belt prior to spring. A google for "free rts" brought up this site. Played a bunch of BA, got sick of BA and now i'm here doing stuff off and on.

EDIT
It would be fun to play rook squad against old guard across a few different spring games.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i was looking at videos of supcom, and there was a cool one that looked a bit different, and people in the comments were like "its spring, stupid"

so here i am
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I didnt play TA before, googled something and ended up on spring wiki.

This picture (I think)

got me in
At least in theory because it was 5 years ago
knorke

Post by knorke »

when i found spring i did not know of TA. possible i had briefly seen it but had not really acknowledged it.
at some point i realized the models were lifted from some other game but thats it.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Licho wrote:I didnt play TA before, googled something and ended up on spring wiki.

This picture (I think)

got me in
Oh yeah, this stupid picture was a probably a big reason I downloaded spring. Stupid vapor map...
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

i was searching on sourceforge an rts game that could run on both linux & win since back then i was planning to switch
oksnoop2 wrote: Stupid vapor map...
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/autumnwood
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

oksnoop2 wrote:
Licho wrote:I didnt play TA before, googled something and ended up on spring wiki.

This picture (I think)

got me in
Oh yeah, this stupid picture was a probably a big reason I downloaded spring. Stupid vapor map...
Lol, same picture that grabbed me to spring... wat a joke, anybody here not because of this picture? Never forget, AGORM made a better working, real tree map.. so there is no excuse to lure them in with vapoware...

I make my mod for spring, because its the only engine that comes even close to what i want it to play like. For every other RTS (even SupCom) i would have to play dev for a year or two, adding features until i get to were spring is now...
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

freind linked me to those images, I dl'd spring soon after..
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I gotta admit: I never played TA. Friend of mine introduced me to spring and I fell in love of the tactical depthness and balanced gameplay. (It was XTA I played first)

Yeah and that screenshot I remember too. The map itself however was totally unplayable because of the trees.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

me and masure were trying to play ta online, we found ta replay made by the sy clan and we ended up trying spring and being surprised by the number of online people there

so nope im not one of yours ^^
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I actually considered other engines for the dev of jw- they phailed. On many hard criterias. First was that there for most there is no insurrance of continued support and/or open source code if the developers should end the lifecycle of the game.

Second, you dont get real artistic freedom, on most of those other engines. Oh they hold the flag high, if there is no real difficult content ingame, or nobody is rushing to defend the delted (cockmonster the 23nd^21 time) but going really nuts were it hurts- only here.

Another reason was actually the technology. Spring is not so hi-tech forcing, that a single-man team cant do it anymoar (although it is difficult). The network-code is stable, the gui was optimimum already when ta was created- the unitlimit allows for the massive battles -only real big minus is the animation system. And the phyixs are hillarious. flying jw for the win.

Third is, that many othere rts-games limit there players(yes, you have to win a round of mini-pong everytime you want to use the minimap) and that often also limits the technology. If you plan for 32 units max per site, why should you make moar then 64 slots? Suddenly its hard, and rigid, and out of reach, if you dont want to dirtworkaround..

Finally i like the crowd...people showing up, throwing awesomness around, there is always a hat in the ring, and the shoes are always to big for you, and your mind, oh that blew around 20 mins ago- here have some tutorials, look at pictures, maps, games, only looking at the board, having nothing to show up, makes me feel lazy, useless.. like at this very moment.
Last edited by PicassoCT on 14 Jul 2011, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Sheep brought me here.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

was owning Betalord in UrbanTerror so he told me to gtfo and try spring. so here i am.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I don't know what got me here, but it's a good place to learn the basic skills of game making, and that's why I stayed.

p.s. Wombat I'll own you any day at Urban Terror.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

keep dreamin :P
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

we all are going to be big vidya games making designer starz, like those guys from the 90s they kept as figurehead while there studios long were dead.

we gona make millions (of working hours overtime)
we are going to have fancy car (models over our screens)
there will be a creative working atmo(st when it comes to setting merciless deathlines)
we will be able to bring our gameconcepts (because the company needs toilett-paper, and its a good excuse to get home once in a year)
Your wife and family will look up to you (r officeadress to send you the divorce-paperwork)
When you are old, you will tell the tale (of how your life became stale)

once in a while, a cereal killer visits the officeoriffice...

There is a Algo in everyones head, telling him that whatever he does, is usefull, meaningfull, the meaning of life. So if you play alot, the Algo nails you to this spot.

If you really want to make your own game, your journey ends and starts here.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I actually discovered Spring after an acquaintance used it to demonstrate the viability of deformable terrain in an entirely different context, many moons ago. I checked it out later because I had no money and some ideas... unfortunately, I decided to leap into an online XTA match. The game may have desynced, but my affections never could.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

We decided to play some classic TA at a lan, after a few matches someone suggested we try spring - I played virtually nothing else for a year.

Return to “General Discussion”