ideas.... - Page 3

ideas....

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Re: ideas....

Post by Silentwings »

you COULD start when you have 4v4 but you don't it is an elective decision on the part of the players.
Actually, no. It's not an 'elective decision' because everyone has to be ready. So if 7 people want a 4v4 and 1 wants an 8v8 you get an 8v8.

Game size (in popular mods) is mostly determined by the autohost owner, not the average opinion of the players.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Vote kick the dumbass
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I never understand why the BA autohosts that have caps don't require the cap to be adjusted democratically. I mean, it requires a vote through the house, the Senate and past the Presidential veto to get a new map, but bumping the cap higher can be done by any lone idiot.

edit: also, the cash idea is moronic. n00b logs on to free game, tries to join battles, gets a "lol no, for pay players only!" message and says "screw this" and never plays this dumb game again.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Vote kick the dumbass
Not even the average spring players are that impolite. You, on the other hand...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Pxtl wrote:also, the cash idea is moronic. n00b logs on to free game, tries to join battles, gets a "lol no, for pay players only!" message and says "screw this" and never plays this dumb game again.
i told you already: all we need is to make them feel guilt. then they will pay. the first month could be without limits... but then the sad panda images start to pop on the screen and you feel bad and open your wallet to make him stop the sad faces.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Silentwings wrote:
Vote kick the dumbass
Not even the average spring players are that impolite. You, on the other hand...
It's impolite to be a dumbass, not to kick one. But once he's raised the teamsize and more people got in, the damage is already done and the game will be bigger and start later. Kicking at that point does little good (it's too slow) unless you're the host or have powers on the autohost to also quickly spec the latest comers.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Silentwings wrote:Not even the average spring players are that impolite. You, on the other hand...
lol you must be new here.
Anyway, yeah what is more impolite. kicking the 7th guy so you can have a 3v3 or the 7th guy stubornly making 6 others wait.

I go with the latter.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

you must be new here.
I've been here for 5 years, and have over 100,000 minutes played. I don't remember once seeing a player kicked for wanting to play a bigger game. Johannes seems to agree, above.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

TradeMark wrote:
Pxtl wrote:also, the cash idea is moronic. n00b logs on to free game, tries to join battles, gets a "lol no, for pay players only!" message and says "screw this" and never plays this dumb game again.
i told you already: all we need is to make them feel guilt. then they will pay. the first month could be without limits... but then the sad panda images start to pop on the screen and you feel bad and open your wallet to make him stop the sad faces.
It won't make them feel guilt, it will make them feel *gone*. Think of the New User experience. He downloads the client and finds out that all the games full of players... well, he's not allowed to join those because he's not a paying customer?

This would *empty* the server browser.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:
Silentwings wrote:
Vote kick the dumbass
It's impolite to be a dumbass, not to kick one.
yes he agreed with me.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Pxtl wrote:It won't make them feel guilt, it will make them feel *gone*. Think of the New User experience. He downloads the client and finds out that all the games full of players... well, he's not allowed to join those because he's not a paying customer?

This would *empty* the server browser.
on the other hand: do we need people to play these games? i dont see what damage we would get with less dicks around. (dicks = people who want to play but not to pay).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Having money != better person
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

if you can afford a computer which can run spring, then you are pretty rich guy, and you can spare 5 bucks for this project.

its kinda retarded you guys are against for paying spring, but you are enthusiastically promoting indie games on other threads (like minecraft) and telling people to buy it just because "it costs only 10 bucks!"
Last edited by TradeMark on 28 Apr 2011, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

yes he agreed with me.
Maybe read the rest....
But once he's raised the teamsize and more people got in, the damage is already done and the game will be bigger and start later. Kicking at that point does little good (it's too slow) unless you're the host or have powers on the autohost to also quickly spec the latest comers.
Your solution of kicking anyone who tries to play a bigger game doesn't work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Edited for spelling errors fucking iphone

Johan agreed that kicking the player is not rude then went on to say that if the game size has already increased it is too late. Neither of which reenforces the view that it would be rude to kick the guy.

Since you are too afraid of booting players..

How about these suggestions:

When the 7th person joins you can say, hey, we are doing a 3v3, mind specing or finding another game?

Hey guys, let's do a 3v3 I'll setup the relay host!

For a supposed 5 year veteran you know very little.

But but no one will join my match. Bullshit ask in main etc
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I'm not complaining about people not joining a 4v4 game, I've got plenty of friends to play 4v4s with. And I can fill a game up by asking in #main quite well, thank you. :roll:

You might also notice another post above where I said I was equally happy playing 4v4, 8v8, or 12v12. :roll:

Perhaps you could read my original post. It's not a complaint about a lack of small games, it's an observation that 12v12 instead of 8v8 games large cause long waiting times, which (a) discourage people from spring, and (b) mean less ability-segregated games, making it hard for new players to get started.

Also:
I don't remember once seeing a player kicked for wanting to play a bigger game. Johannes seems to agree, above.
I didn't say anything about Johannes agreeing with me on what was/wasn't rude. :roll:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Being the guy who gets the smaller games going is how you fight the dsd bullshit. Seriously.

Imagine if you guys start building up a real competitive 4v4 scene.

This is easily possible 4v4 clans spring up and day is saved. People are going to play what they want rather than take away options create ne mor apealing ones!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I think that's marginally better than your other ideas...

But my point is not about getting rid of big games or 'dsd' bullshit' mostly full of poor players. It's just about reducing them back to 8v8.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Well your original post is on the supposition that spring is a game. Arbitrary restrictions on that premise are terrible. The issue is that said players are not electing to leave and start a new game. The issue is not the limit, the issue is players not having the testicular fortitude to take command and say, NO I DON'T WANT THIS.

Maybe there needs to be more transparent lobby control of voting? Maybe team and player limits need to be dynamic and able to be voted upon.

Many options but people are choosing to just go along with the games when they have the power to vote against it. You cannot change ghat here on the forums you have to take that fight to the lobby
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Having player limits being dynamic helps a lot, I think - it used to be that way when we could vote to change the autolock. But now most autohosts use a preset mode which disables that option, I don't know why.

As to fighting it in the lobby - I was hoping the people who manage the autohosts and code spads/springie might read this and have ideas. But it seems not.

Return to “General Discussion”