Shadows and possible FAQ update

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

MajorMayhem

Post by MajorMayhem »

Hey all, had been running Spring on XP with an ATI 4830 for a couple of years and all went fine. Updated recently to a Nvidia GTX 560 ti using the latest drivers 266.66 and Windows 7. Installed Spring, tried to host a game for testing and crashed out half way through the loading process. Reading the FAQ suggested disabling shadows so I did that and the game loaded fine but looks terrible with no shadows. Re-enabling shadows I lowered the shadow map size to 4092 in the advanced rendering options. Game loaded fine and now I have pretty shadows everywhere. If I was new at this the FAQ would have thrown me off and I'd be playing with no shadows from here on out so I think it should be updated for non-savvy types noting the reduction of shadow maps as a possible solution instead of just disabling shadows altogether. Thanks.
smoth

Re: Shadows and possible FAQ update

Post by smoth »

new players cannot set higher than 4092 as they don't know about advanced settings.
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://springrts.com/wiki/FAQ:trouble this FAQ?
its a wiki, go and add it :-)
MajorMayhem

Post by MajorMayhem »

smoth wrote:new players cannot set higher than 4092 as they don't know about advanced settings.
Ok, well mine must have been reading a left over config file because it was like that right after I installed.

Return to “General Discussion”