Decline in the number of players - Page 16

Decline in the number of players

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

knorke

Re: Decline in the number of players

Post by knorke »

Everyone calls it spring, but if someone asks what it is they might be told its "spring rts" or "spring engine" or "the spring project" or probably, just "spring" and they won't be able to find it cause its a clusterfuck.
Then use the correct name like "gundam rts" and its easy to find.
Even "Kernel Panic" brings up the games page as 6th result despite all the OS error messages.

Ok, appearently those things:
are "Spring Tanks" as well but second result is the game + video.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

PicassoCT wrote:Zero. He hit Spring into google.. and got everything, with spring. Try it. One of the Result was the Spring-Project.. is it a band.. is it a shoebrand? Beeing Nub, having near no advertisment (except oldbro rumbling) he searched the list and missed.
At least people shoudl be able to find spring if they want to (whether they want to play a game or make one). But what are they looking for?
scifi

Post by scifi »

We can make diferent posts on free gaming websites and get atention there, and maybe web results can be diferent.

So solutions? try to focus on a single download?

like Spring RTS-Platform, then choose the games to autodownload, from a panel.

Like in Zero-k, but zerok is a lobby for a specific game and not for the comunity in general, so a new lobby????. Or reformulate SL to have this panel before registering an acount????.

So what are the real solutions?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

The most likely chance to hear from spring is, in some board or comunity, when it gets dropped in a "Im bored" thread or "Also- Free are.."thread.

There are
-Anno0
-Spring
-BlaBlaV1.3
-LongListisLong
-Youreallyreadlists.Imsorryforyou

Most likely way of search. Copy Paste it into Google. And this is what you get.

Congratz its among the first five. Discongratz its not german (non-localized) and non descriptive linkdescription is nondescriptive.
Attachments
UNtilted.jpg
(139.49 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by PicassoCT on 10 Jun 2011, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

choices:
a) try to catch potential players who are looking for you
b) blame whoever directed him to "spring" in the first place

which is gonna help?
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:If you dont forget RTS... which people do. Do not assume safer search.
People aint you. But without people you cant do.

when you search for starcraft..or kknd or darkOmen or other names, you suddenly realize, that all they have in comon, is that they dont have anything in comon- even not there shortcuts.

What alternative name would you give spring, that is really unique? Let the Brainstorming begin. Of course its way to late, to suddenly rename it, but i would be nice to talk about stuff that we would do if we could time travell.
Quoting whole block because text culling is pita on iPhone

Except that you forget gundam is bigger than starcraft. So 30+ years worth, don't be a smartass.

You can search: gundam+
pc
Free game
Rts

Etc

Don't be a douche and be like " i searched gundam and got stuff about plastic models"
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

well i doucheing at my very best.. searched for gundame game.
You were not among them smoth. But this made it to the frontpage.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Game ... m_War.html

In Google we trust, the search files to bust.

But you become the winner in this sad competition. Your vid leads to moddb, were you present your game professional. So smoth, you won, take your medall of donor(tears&sweat&blood) and we will discuss on. Were was I. Yeah, as i wanted to state, when smoth actually proofed it, looking on history tells us, that this victory march on the search engine.

(PS: On BING Spring and Gundam are not to be found on page one. Also- zerok. Hillarity ensues. Dont be the lesser evil;)

PSSAnd thats why there are only gundam games all the time.
Learn your lessons kids, among them, recognizing that naming variables is important while coding, but not important while having finnished game to go out and win.

Also, did you know that zerok can cause eretile dysfunction? http://www.sanego.de/Erektionsst%C3%B6r ... Meto+Zerok

Licho made my boner shrink. Now, how do i hold desk upright? ;)
smoth

Post by smoth »

Bing search
Gundam pc, first result
Gundam game, 6th result

I win?
scifi

Post by scifi »

So from all of this we can conclude that peoples problem isnt searching or finding spring.

Is actualy digging and liking Spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I aleady concluded that. Go look at the download count for the current release of gundam. Then compare it to the player count of gundam people :/
scifi

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:I aleady concluded that. Go look at the download count for the current release of gundam. Then compare it to the player count of gundam people :/
but then what does that mean , does it mean that people get disapointed that they dont find any online comunity playing the specific mod.

Or that they feel somehow cheated into playing BA.

Or they think the lobby/instalation is to confusing.

Because if they feel somehow wronged by choosing a unplayed game, maybe focusing with one download, they could know that spring is more than one game. And that, even now and then there are people playing Gundam, and BA matches could be that middle thing you play while you wait :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Noone knows what it means scifi. Honestly I have seen scores of people come and go. One day, they are stoked, the next still playing a week layer disappear without a word. The only complaint I hear are baw no games to play and equally strange is the fear of playing just 1v1. They are genuiniely afraid of it. It's as if they think losing a first time 1v1 = violent castration irl.
knorke

Post by knorke »

googeling "gundam game" works and I guess fans of the series might actually do that.
But it is still a narrow audience because it is limited to fans of the series because only those will google for "gundam game."
How many people actually search for "[name of some series/movie] + game"?
The average person will search for "multiplayer rts" or similiar.
Afterall I dont google "Mad Max game" when I am looking for a racing game...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Well let's look at it from the perspective of a gundam fan. Unlike say starwars there isn't a plethora of gaming for gundam. Where as starwars has many games. Searching for starwars you would still have to differentiate between game and movie. And if say kotor was and idie title you would never find it. It was for that specific reason I made certain that gundam was at the title of Grts. So that the keyword would be there. I then looked at how to apeal to gundam fans looking for a gundam rts and realized that term had the best potential. Otherwise it would be "universal century ground war" which would have no chance of showing up in general gundam or gundam gaming searches. Of course feel free to have a go at suggesting something that would have been better because that was the best I could do to cover important keywords while not sounding completely rediculous. I did find it frustrating when Erts came out with a name that was extremely similar but at worst it looks tacky to have two *rts games on one engine so I didn't raise any fuss
smoth

Post by smoth »

As far as appealing to nongundam fans I am not repeating that discussion again "try this game with giant robots" player:"herpa derpa battle tech herpa gay pretty boys herpa derpa derpa"
knorke

Post by knorke »

Otherwise it would be "universal century ground war" which would have no chance of showing up in general gundam or gundam gaming searches. Of course feel free to have a go at suggesting something that would have been better because that was the best I could do to cover important keywords while not sounding completely rediculous.
I did not suggestto cramp as many keywords as possible into the name.
The idea is to be featured on gaming sites etc. so that it is found by people who did not google the excact game name but just are looking for rts games in general.
smoth

Post by smoth »

User was warned for this post.
"to be featured on gaming sites"

that is not going to make any difference. My point is I have done all the advertising bullshit you guys insisted. I have gotten the hits and downloads so it isn't advertising. That is my point and it is fucking annoying because the community are such armchair arseholez.

I continue to raise the real question where are these players going and why don't they stay around?
knorke

Post by knorke »

I continue to raise the real question where are these players going and why don't they stay around?
Isnt it easy to see if you read comments on your moddb or postings of new spring players in general?
i wanted to try this game for almost a year but never could figure out how to install xD
I downloaded the installer but it dosen't open up it only goes to where it finalizes then stops
Well nice game and i still can't figure out how to play. Well even i am not a Gundam fan.
Or a thread like http://www.smoth.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4392

But even if you get it to run its not done yet:
I'm having an issue with changeing factions, maps, and the difficulty. No matter what I select, once I hit run it puts me as the federation, on the same map (not sure which map it is), VS normal dificulty Zeon. any ideas on what could be causing this?
Now remember for every person who asks how to get something working there are 100 persons who dont bother.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

User was banned for this post.
smoth wrote:and it is fucking annoying because the community are such armchair arseholez.
it is fucking annoying to see you always crying here how much this community sucks :shock: why dont you just leave if its so shit to be here...?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

do u really expect to see 40y olds here ? gee, seriously stop the drama. ppl get old and got life/job.

and before u say that, and u would say it again for sure, forum got not much to do with it since majority of player base doesnt even visit forum.

Return to “General Discussion”