Mac OSX version?

Mac OSX version?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

valkraider

Mac OSX version?

Post by valkraider »

I have seen a few older posts about a Mac OSX version. I was just wondering if there has been anything else done on this front.

Please lets not devolve into a platform war..

The beauty in open source projects is that they can often go places where companies will not.

Simply - I loved Total Annihilation - but will not ever run OS9 so It seems like it would be TA Spring - or not at all for me.... I switched windows to Macintosh when OS X came out, and I have not been dissapointed - except for this one game. And there are no other RTS games that I enjoy as much, they all deviate from the great formula of TA, or get too complicated, or too RPG like or whatever.

I would contribute to a Mac port - however possible. The easiest being $$$ (well maybe $$ - I am not rich enough for $$$). But I could do some work or testing or whatnot as well...

Thanks everyone, and great work. This project is awesome....

Please don't count out the Mac just because you don't use one... I don't bash Linux.... :)

[edit]
Let me also ad, that I know that Spring is not a TA clone. I simply like the fact that Spring is heavily TA influenced. Just to clarify....
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

From what I understand about OSX, it should be a relatively simple port if they ever get the linux version working since OSX is basically unix in disguise. I guess there are a lot more variables to that, though, so... yeah, someone else needs to answer :P
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Gnome wrote:...since OSX is basically unix in disguise...
*sounds of silenced bullets hitting gnome in the back of the head*
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

linux and mac where originally the same i do beleive, both made significant changes since then though...both deritives of the same thing..although one obviously better than the other
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Ahhh :) the joy of Mac conversion,

There are things like virtual windows that could be run to play spring and OTA, I do believe people are working hard on a conversion for MAC and Linux...

Too bad that different OS's don't read the same software huh? :(
Tim Blokdijk

Re: Mac OSX version?

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

valkraider wrote:I have seen a few older posts about a Mac OSX version. I was just wondering if there has been anything else done on this front.
Not at this moment, we try to get a working Linux version.
Making the Linux code run on the mac is far easier than making the current Windows code run on the mac.
You can try to make the current Linux code run on the mac if you like, but you are mostly on your own atm.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

MAC OSX is based on FreeBSD, a free but not GNUGPL *nix family core... graphics are handled (all the prettyness and stuff that people call OSX) by the Aqua front end. OSX supports OpenGL so, as long as the code is made mostly universal (AKA linux and windows just being recompiled versions of the same thing) you should be able to compile it for OSX aswell... making it run a and work with the interface however would take some time... unless... you were running linux on your Macintosh I suppose...

Return to “General Discussion”