An unethical idea to increase Spring's player base - Page 2

An unethical idea to increase Spring's player base

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

JohannesH

Re: An unethical idea to increase Spring's player base

Post by JohannesH »

knorke wrote:Hosting games on different servers is bad because spring players like to idle and then play when some interessting game opens.
People will not idle on two servers. People would download SW and be on an empty server. Better be on a server with tons of BA players that will at least answer to "hi, whats this"
Old Spring players shouldn't be the targetaudiance of a new game, it is relatively small group of people, and most players don't want to switch from BA anyway.

Nevertheless I don't know if being on another server would be more welcoming to the new players or the opposite.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i dont know how spring would look like without some experienced players who explain all the newbs problems have...
(thats also why i dont like that that sd does not join #main anymore since nobody ever answers in #obscuregame)
albator

Post by albator »

I dont think it is the interest of the communauty to make any advertisement o to try to get more poeple in spring communauty as long as it is not finished enough
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

>.< Troll thread, everyone knows the reason this isnt done is not because its unethical, but because itd mean the death of the engine under an avalance of lawyers. We already have people who've exported supreme commander and starcraft 2 models.
Gota

Post by Gota »

TBH the reason its not done is that there is just nobody to do it...
You need someone to sit and do it all...
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

well i have a similar idea in increasing spring popularity using starcraft in some way...

ok.... we have to ask our selves, what is the largest grassroots concentration on RTS player on the net right now....
http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft
it is ridiculous how much views this guy gets so fast(thu i'am not sure if he is grassroots or not, he might be getting paid by blizzard)

if we can get HDstarcraft to release a spring promo video and ,mention spring on a few of his replays....it would be great....i'am sure hundreds if not thousands would try spring

there was also a couple attempts 2 do SC for spring, i believe both projects died....

my other idea is to release a spring promo in the vain of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5APeLebTE
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dn6D3OCyrU&feature=fvsr
if flows perfectly, there is even a plot(there is a battle going on and the game is explained to the audience by explaining the battle)....this get people exited about the game...spring has so much in common with sup-com, i dont see why we cant pull this off
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

HD isn't grassroots. He's been around for a long time, and the only game he really cares about is sc2/sc.

Anyway, advertising spring would be a mistake. Advertising a single spring game would be a good idea. But seriously, you would want to advertise BA? Seriously??? BA looks like total and utter shit and is an embarrassment to this engine.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

Forboding Angel wrote:HD isn't grassroots. He's been around for a long time, and the only game he really cares about is sc2/sc.

Anyway, advertising spring would be a mistake. Advertising a single spring game would be a good idea. But seriously, you would want to advertise BA? Seriously??? BA looks like total and utter shit and is an embarrassment to this engine.
i disagree....if you advertise a single game, you will do nothing more that disappoint your audience when they try out the game and find out that the game is never really played(unless the game you are advertising is BA)

i think you should sell spring as a platform that plays mods(which as a whole is a game)...and we can show examples of these mods/what spring can do....honestly who cares about a engine, people don't want to play a engine they want a game....honestly, you could hardly call the unit packs in spring(mods) "games"...also, you can't deny that all spring mods share the same player base more or less...few people only play one mod

by grassroots i mean a normal guy setting something up simply because of personal interest, not a profit driven scheme/site...i think that HD probably is an normal user that makes these vids out of interest and has nothing to do with blizzard(thu he might work for blizzard,I'm not sure)...and looking at his oldest video..he has been around for a year or so

if the spring community approaches HD as a modest open source project desperate to get its word out, he might help spring out even though he might not be crazy about the game.....but if he works for blizzard, then he will not even consider it
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

nightcold wrote:i disagree....if you advertise a single game, you will do nothing more that disappoint your audience when they try out the game and find out that the game is never really played(unless the game you are advertising is BA)
Obvious troll is obvious.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You and I agree on one point... Spring as a platform is an excellent idea. But currently spring does not have the infrastructure.

I suggest that spring get on desura (the current way of distribution would still be possible of course) as the engine, under which the rest of us can be housed. You want advertisement? There is a hell of a lot of it right there.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Petah wrote:Here is an idea to get a few more players to try Spring:

And before I say it I know it unethical and disallowed by the official Spring community

Convert Starcraft 2 to Spring. We could export/import the models, textures and animations and copy the balance.

I'm sure that would get Spring a bit more noticed. And probably sued by Blizzard. But we have done it before with TA.
Blizzard cares a bit more about SC2 than Atari does about TA. Do that with SC2 and you won't get a C&D, you'll get a full-on lawsuit and end up having to pay hundreds thousands of dollars in damages. Look at bnetd.
Gota

Post by Gota »

KDR_11k wrote:
Petah wrote:Here is an idea to get a few more players to try Spring:

And before I say it I know it unethical and disallowed by the official Spring community

Convert Starcraft 2 to Spring. We could export/import the models, textures and animations and copy the balance.

I'm sure that would get Spring a bit more noticed. And probably sued by Blizzard. But we have done it before with TA.
Blizzard cares a bit more about SC2 than Atari does about TA. Do that with SC2 and you won't get a C&D, you'll get a full-on lawsuit and end up having to pay hundreds thousands of dollars in damages. Look at bnetd.
What if we all move to sweden?
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

Forboding Angel wrote:You and I agree on one point... Spring as a platform is an excellent idea. But currently spring does not have the infrastructure.

I suggest that spring get on desura (the current way of distribution would still be possible of course) as the engine, under which the rest of us can be housed. You want advertisement? There is a hell of a lot of it right there.
I'm not trying to describe spring in the most appropriate term possible.... I'm saying that we should pitch spring in a more appealing perspective(it's called PR, thu i hate what PR has done to our society it's helpfulness in this case can not be denied)...and in terms of what it would means to the user, saying "RTS engine" will feel as it spring is just a tool for developers, and that can be a bit isolating....it is much more welcoming to call it a mod platform

and i disagree, the advertising and PR aspect of spring is extremely weak....we got a lot of advertising "here" but none out "there"... none the less, i think that getting HD-starcraft to mention spring is a golden opportunity to get spring's name out there as well get hundreds to try spring... worse comes to worse, HD says no or dose not respond

edit:god so much unneeded trolling here
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's utterly silly though. It's like going to chris taylor and asking him to mention sc2. LOLWUT?

HD is all about sc2, and so are all of his fans. He doesn't give a flying crap about other rts games. You have to realize that people like that live eat sleep and shit blizzards (and not the tasty kind from dairy queen). If you want them to give an informed opinion then you have to get them to play it. Otherwise, they would probably see ba, lol and get on with their lives. I wasn't kidding when I said BA was an embarrassment to the engine, all the *A's are (barring CA which I really dunno why CA is still even called CA, but whatever).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Gota wrote:What if we all move to sweden?
Sweden is a signatory of the international treaties that enable copyright worldwide.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

It would be much nicer to advertise Spring if you could be certain that people who get interested would get through the installation process and playing
Gota

Post by Gota »

JohannesH wrote:It would be much nicer to advertise Spring if you could be certain that people who get interested would get through the installation process and playing
Make a video that is easy to follow.
So that once you give someone that video you know hell probably get spring installed and working properly.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Could it be possible to make installer for BA, will install lobby, and launch lobby too (not springlobby since it doesnt work for 50% of users...) All you would have to do is register new account and click ok and start playing. Although, the maps downloading will be the next most confusing part... Could just include 5 most played maps in the installer i guess.

This way we could just spam the installer link (which would install BA and Spring Engine) and wait people flowing in!
Achilla

Post by Achilla »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... ontent.ars
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=128252

/thread

Spring needs a serious shake-up, either way ... if you ever plan on having self-sustainable community for MP games.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Forboding Angel wrote: Anyway, advertising spring would be a mistake. Advertising a single spring game would be a good idea. But seriously, you would want to advertise BA? Seriously??? BA looks like total and utter shit and is an embarrassment to this engine.
And yet advertising anything besides BA is a mistake, for various reasons. First of all, nothing else is played consistently, secondly, most(emphasis here, I know it's not 100% true) other games do not have very evolved or balanced gameplay, and more importantly, stable gameplay.

I'm not saying I don't want other mods to be successful, but the fact of the matter is if you get someone to get Spring for something besides BA it will end with disappointment either because nobody ever plays it, or because it doesn't have polished gameplay.

I agree BA looks like crap by todays standards, but it still plays great and as far as Spring games go its still the only consistently played. I would love for something that looked better and had as good or better gameplay to come along and take it's place, but that simply isn't happening right now.

Whenever I advertise Spring, it's always for BA, because it's what I play, and it's what everyone else plays, and everyone who looks at it can obviously see at first glance that it's not the prettiest game.

Return to “General Discussion”