Newbie's qestions

Newbie's qestions

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

hagen91

Newbie's qestions

Post by hagen91 »

Good Afternoon.

My name is Hagen, from Germany. Im new to Spring here. Hello ;) I found this, cause i'm a big fan of TA... Found this on google while searching a lil but for TA remakes on wikipedia.org (
A remake of Total Annihilation named Spring, with a completely 3D graphics engine and lacking any fixed camera angle, has also been independently produced.[5] Stardock recently introduced the game and the Core Contingency expansion through their game download service.
--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation).

But I have a few questions.

Shall i use one of lobbies? or can i play only starting the spring.exe? And what lobby? Im on windows vista 64 bit.

And which game is like TA most?

Thanks a lot. Nice project: Keeps TA alive xD
knorke

Re: Newbie's qestions

Post by knorke »

Hi
playing with spring.exe is "possible" but thats mainly just for testing etc.

lobbies:
i would say springdownloader because it autodownloads mods and maps.
if that should not work springlobby. i havent used tasclient in a while.
And which game is like TA most?
I didnt really play TA but from what I heard about it:
SA - Surpreme A. - units should through each other like in TA. missle units shoot ground.
XTA - missle units shoot ground. very strong commanders
BA - Balanced A. - missle units dont shoot ground but its still similiar
CA - Complete A. - most different to TA while still being somewhat familiar. different ressource system, diff. techtree, different units but you will recognize some.
BOTA (basically OTA) well the name says it but iam not sure if it still works.

BA: original TA unit models (mostly) that look a bit dated in 3D. most played, easiest to find a game. you can play 6v6 DSD all week long and porc in the back. athmosphere sometimes like counterstrike public server. drug: vodka with energy drinks
XTA: some pimped models. good effects. has the slowest gameplay but microing units is important. games take ages to start but mostly helpful players. drug: weed
CA: most colorfull and modern gfx. uses springs Lua scripting for a custom interface. some players have problems with that. fast gameplay, especially at start. has a singleplayer where you fight against waves of monsters. drug: LSD
SA: similiar to gameplay in BA but with some good changes. (imo better) uses lua scripting for interface that does not suck. not played as often because nobody cares. drug: straight edge
exciter

Post by exciter »

Use TASClient on windows. SL is buggy ;) SD not very easy to handle and has not the same functional range as TASClient.

BA is the most popular game here. try it
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I've found TASC buggy myself, and would advise you use SL. BA is the most popular mod, and if you're going for something kinda like TA (Or more importantly, AA/UberHack) this will allow you to always have people to play with, unlike the others.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

BOTA does work but isn't really that much more like TA than another TA mod
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Get and try all three lobbies because who knows which one you'll prefer... or if the one you decide to use will break completely on your next update and you need to switch (if that's too much bandwidth for you then forget about downloading maps or whatever)
Achilla

Post by Achilla »

No one mentioned NOTA here ... it seems like people hold a grudge against it. Too bad that it has best gameplay out there and least corrupted player base, even if smallish ...
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Achilla wrote:No one mentioned NOTA here ... it seems like people hold a grudge against it. Too bad that it has best gameplay out there and least corrupted player base, even if smallish ...
Lol

a guy asks for games that are close to TA
Your answer is... "Not TA"
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Spring doesn't have any mods that are actual TA clones, all of the TA derivatives change a pretty significant amount. Out of all of them, I'd say BA, while it changes a lot has the most TA-esque gameplay out of the choices. Most of the changes just balance things or fill holes that were in TA, it's also the most played mod.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hardcore annihilation essentially is OTA for spring. BOTA is very very similar to TA and is a lot of fun.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I have been incredibly lax in keeping Hardcore Annihilation up-to-date so I have no idea if it works with the current Spring release.
Petah

Post by Petah »

BA is the most played mod. It is very similar to TA but has many improvements. So I would suggest you give BA a try.

Also the TAS lobby client is the best I have used. It automatically uses Spring Downloader to get maps.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Pxtl wrote:I have been incredibly lax in keeping Hardcore Annihilation up-to-date so I have no idea if it works with the current Spring release.
Feel free to poke me for any help you might need should you decide to go ahead and update it.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

SpringDownloader is the lobby client that's easiest to use for new people.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

The most closest to TA among mods under active development is BOTA. But you can't download it via SpringDownloader (don't know why). The link to the latest version is in IRC channel "bota".
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

i think netto didnt wanted it on SD, since he is killing the bugs. also SD-lobby sucks (mMn), but the suomi-fraction will help you with bota anyway :D
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

manolo_ wrote:also SD-lobby sucks
Thanks for the help. I hope many new people read your advice and stay away from SD. Some of them hopefully will get filtered out by the difficulty of managing content outside the lobby client and we can keep our community small.

Return to “General Discussion”