Is original music needed?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Rycona

Post by Rycona »

I was referred by a friend to this site under the knowledge that original compositions might be needed for this project. If so, I would ask that I may undertake the task of providing music for this adaptation. I have to official degree in music, but I do have a long history of video gaming and music. I would think that would count for something in such a position. The site given below hosts some of my music, granted it's mostly/all in MIDI. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated. ^_^

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.ph ... &sub=23672
Last edited by Rycona on 27 Sep 2005, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

What kind of music can you do?
Rycona

Post by Rycona »

Pretty much any style. That's one thing I try to do with my music is make callbacks to all kinds of styles. I love writing different forms of music. I haven't really had the chance yet to apply myself to a larger project such as this. I've only written just for writing, a band, and some small games I've made. This project would be a great challenge for me to push myself, and hopefully, add another dimension to this project.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Spring needs some kind of music support, at least... of course, there have been long topics about that elsewhere.

I always liked the grand orchestral soundtrack TA had, it really sounded good with the game. I don't mind electronic music for games either, though... eh, well, they need to program support in first before we can decide what kind of music we want, and ideally the music would be user defined anyway (think GTA style, with the user defined radio).
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

I just use my own media player for music, but if you do make a semi-official soundtrack for Spring, then you'd do best to do something in the style of the Original Total Annihilation. Gnome hit it on the head when he said 'Grand'.

[edit]Firecrack read a little closer:
Gnome wrote:I always liked the grand orchestral soundtrack TA had...
[/edit]
Last edited by FizWizz on 27 Sep 2005, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

He didnt say 'Grand'... :?

Personaly, i'm kinda a fan of taht crazy techno stuff for video gmaes, like the music in the original UT.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Im all for orchistra and that russian guy... you know the one i mean (i cant spell his name... but it stars with an S)
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

All thats left is to get James Earl Jones to do the narrations :-) I wish.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

It would certainly be nice (as using the original one would be a invitation for lawyers), but i am a bit sceptical.

Art design isnt the strenght of open source project, and i rather enjoy silence disrupted by explosions /ect than the musical equivalent of the sperm banner... :)

(i.e. Its VERY hard to make music that doesnt annoy after hearing it 20 times. So hard that even most commercial games fail in that regards.)
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

simply nick the TA music off the CD and upload it to FU :) i'll do it if noone else is willing!
EDIT: Damn its not there nor in the install folder! :( someone get that music!!!
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Min3mat wrote:simply nick the TA music off the CD and upload it to FU :) i'll do it if noone else is willing!
EDIT: Damn its not there nor in the install folder! :( someone get that music!!!
i believe the music is already up there somewhere...

Yep found it:

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=listing&ID=54
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

w00t! i say! :D
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

i like the ota music. it was created specifically for the purpose of being played while using ta, and well... it just rocks. if we can use the ta models, textures etc, then im sure we could use the original music... of course providing you own the original game, which is what is required of you if you play taspring with the ota data anyway. =D
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

The only thing is, that it doesn't fit with every map and definitly not every mod, OTA had this desolate feeling to it, one lone commander, building a huge base, the music is just perfect for it...Track 14 is perfect for Core Prime for example.

Such desolate music definitly doesn't fit in SW:TA, TA:WD, AATA etc though.
sylvinus

Post by sylvinus »

if you need some qualitiy free music, you can check out http://www.jamendo.com

there's plenty of music out there suitable for a game soundtrack (there's quite every genre)
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

What I liked about the soundtrack for Total Annihilation wasn't actually the 'build' music, although that was good. What I loved the soundtrack for was the battle-music; It was exhilirating, got your blood pumping, masterfully composed.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Rycona, if you can post a short .mp3 or .ogg for us to hear, that would be neat. Midi doesn't even begin to convey the delicate touch of a composer :cry: :P
Rycona

It'll take some time...

Post by Rycona »

It may be some time before I can make an MP3 file not derived from a MIDI. I completely understand what you mean about MIDI, and have spent hours with a finished song on Finale trying to tweak it for the right dynamics, slurs, etc. In terms of orchestral pieces, I can write in that style... but I don't have my own orchestra to record, hence making MP3s in that sense that quite difficult. I'm getting ready to move to Canada, so my setup isn't quite together. If I can still be considered for such a position, I would gladly make some MP3s as soon as I can, although it will most likely be layered piano, drum, guitar, and bass, since I have no other instruments in reality (and have no connections yet as to people who have/can play them).

All in all, I am quite ill-prepared under all these considerations. I didn't think ahead too far on this; Of course, that's difficult since I've never asked about such a thing before. If ever there is a need for my services, just let me know.

rycona@hotmail.com

Thank you. ^_^
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

As I posted in my own thread regarding music, located here:
http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1447

Basically, as soon as they put the ability to put music in, people will be making mp3 packs and throwing them on fileuniverse for other's to use. I know I will.

As long as the music is a simple means of being organised in any one of the following directories:
TASpring/Music/Defeat
TASpring/Music/Victory
TASpring/Music/Tension
TASpring/Music/Battle

mp3 files (orr .ogg and others, people wanted a number of supported filetypes) would simply be read in those directories by Spring. Spring would use simple algorithms to determine when a side is winning or losing or whatever (discussed in the thread linked to above), and then simply picks a track randomly from those directories.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

BTW, I have all the OTA music in high quality rips. Originally, Blackthorn was going to handle putting it in Spring, but I don't know what became of that. I don't have the programming skill (actually, ANY programming skill), but if one of you wants to try, just let me know.

Return to “General Discussion”