Planet Wars - Page 2

Planet Wars

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Planet Wars

Post by Neddie »

8v8 and the refusal to play multiple smaller games/allow parties to limit to smaller games at peak hours played into the decline of PW, as did secondary game-based imbalance imposed on the matches, registration based imbalance in the secondary game, the introduction of one on one PW battles with the same weight as 8v8, etcetera.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

If i wanted to learn more about setting up Planet Wars, where would i go?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Neddie wrote:8v8 and the refusal to play multiple smaller games/allow parties to limit to smaller games at peak hours played into the decline of PW
write PW to adjust battle size / map / planet dependent on how many players want to play
the introduction of one on one PW battles with the same weight as 8v8, etcetera.
bigger planets/maps/matches should reap bigger rewards

im not gonna do anything just futilely calling out fixes for whoever is man enough to make BA planetwars
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Idea: Associate a percentage to each planet which shows how much of the planet each faction controls. 1v1 match would simulate a small skirmish gaining only low % of control. 8v8 would be a decisive battle, resulting in most or all of the planet falling to the victor.

Might have been suggested before, dunno...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

a big problem with planetwars was.

people fighting 1v1 for planets.

You would go to sleep and the planet count would be even at 50/50 then you'd wake up and you lost 20 or so planets cos someone rofl stomped a noob 20 times on a planetwars server instead of playing 1v1 on a normal server. Sad that 2 seasons of planetwars ended cos of this.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

oksnoop2 wrote:If i wanted to learn more about setting up Planet Wars, where would i go?
You need to grab latest released sources and figure that out.
They should be around at forums or CA site.
There is no guide/instructions.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Licho wrote: There is no guide/instructions.

Well then count me out.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

k.
Attachments
countout.gif
countout.gif (3.44 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

lol'd
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I too lol'd, that really brightened my day.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Licho: you would hate to see PW converted to BA anyway, wouldnt you?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Actually as I recall he and quant spent a lot of time preparing planetwars for BA, but no one took it a step farther.
Gota

Post by Gota »

You need to add PW into SD and streamline it as oppose to players having to go to different places to look different parts up...You need to see the advance every time you take a planet and all your stats and everything...it should all be easy without any links or other atmosphere killing newbie unfriendly features.
Car Repairer you cant be more wrong IMO.
Newbies dont care about perfect balance at all.
The old geeks that play BA for years,sure but not newbies...
To attract newbies you need ease of use,think Iphone.
If Iphone will be your inspiration than CA would become very popular.
If you'll keep thinking you need to change gameplay from BA ot XTA or whatever to get more players you are dead wrong.
As long as gameplay is passable that's it.
There are far greater Issues with how CA is delivered(that touch how spring is delivered to players in general)that require much more attention than making pyro do 5% less DPS or adding or removing pylons,once you see this and start doing something about it you'll start getting players.
Keep wasting time on adding and subtracting game features and youll find yourself in the same rot in another 3 years.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

i HAZ idea!
inter-mod PW!

and .. now the real deal..
the DSD planet will NOT be BA!

a revolutionary universe it would be.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Planetwars is good because it gives a macro game for people to care about and think about outside of just single matches, and also because it forces play on maps other than DSD.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

hunterw wrote:Planetwars is good because it gives a macro game for people to care about and think about outside of just single matches, and also because it forces play on maps other than DSD.
Yeah, that. I honestly don't think that the ability to buy gear was PW's big draw. The big draw of PW was that it was Boneyards - you get to fight over a galaxy.

The problem is that even that requires even numbers of Arm and Core players to be online at a time.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We even had second BA instance running at same time as CA, but it needed upgrade config for BA units (we were no BA pros) and I asked many times for community to provide it.

At same time, CA config was provided in 8h by CA player jennington ...

Return to “General Discussion”