The case of xzalion. - Page 6

The case of xzalion.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Re: The case of xzalion.

Post by Jazcash »

People who take cyber-bullying serious and get upset about anything people tell them on the internet are people that I label as sensitive ****'s. I don't like sensitive ****'s.

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Maybee, a newbee posting his omg, i will do this, i will do that, and wont break a sweat, just reminds us all how idealistic we started out, how realistic we view matters now, and how many fukkin hours went into that transformation, and that are just utterly ignored by the newly arrived superman (somebody take off his plastic caul)

It aint easy, and the best way to get everyone started, is by pretending it is. For example take ARGHs PURE, it is seriously just a throwin together heap of modells, and barely any original code. I will do betta on my first shot, just wait and see it comin, just look at how easily i produced posts allover, which are nearly similar to a page of code.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

knorke wrote:
this dose not justify letting people e-bully people)..perhaps one of the biggest problems with the internet is that people dont see the suffering that they cause to people, it is as abstract as it can get..
e-bullying is serious. But what is happening in this forum is different. Bullying would for example be stalking someones facebook, posting their pictures or private informations etc. Such stuff should be taken seriously!

But tone in this community is just a little harsh, sarcastic or whatever. Ok, a first reply in a newcomers thread should not be "for the lols", that is impolite imo. But then again spring is such a niche/"insider" thing. I would think that people who come here have learned how to deal with answers they do not like and not be personelly offended by them.
-person 1 has an emotional attachment to something(ex. an idea, passion, wtv)
-person 1 expresses this through a medium(ex: internet)
-person 2 bashes person 1 for his/her own amusement(and lets not forget that for our case the thought of person1 suffering from this is very abstract to person 2......and lets not forget, person 2 would not have 2 face the rl consequences for what he says...while person 1 ,prob, still cares about what is said to him because he/she/it has an emotional attachment to it )
-person 1 takes this into offence because he/she/it has an emotional tie and is hurt

if this is not bullying, i don't know what is....
also there is a term for being stalked on facebook, i belive it is called stalking.....not bullying. And facebook e-bullying is not any diffrent from what i explained here.

also your definition of e bullying happens to conviently reflect what you want people to think about the situation....not the actual representation of what the word is actually associated with...which is sort of unfair/deceptive imo

back to the point:
while person1 being hurt is not the end of the world(and i'am sure life will move on)...it can not be denied that person 1 got hurt in the prosess and this pattern in the behaviour of the community is pushing people away........i was under the impression that open source development was all about removing the threshold of people make games and binging in alot of new posiblities and ideas that could not have been without it....not some isolated insider-outsider community that acts like 4chan......
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

i feel bullied by you people claiming i wasted my life because of inferior talent to hours of tutorial reading, try&error, while not allowin any noob to claim this was the easy way.

Modz please hammer arcodingly

Edit: also somebody write a AI, who can code&script for noobs(technologicalchallengedpeople) because its the most scarry barrier evar.
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

PicassoCT wrote:i feel bullied by you people claiming i wasted my life because of inferior talent to hours of tutorial reading, try&error, while not allowin any noob to claim this was the easy way.

Modz please hammer arcodingly
plz point out the actual posts(do plz be fair and do them in context)...there has been no direct attack on you(if any)...nor did anything here push away potential new contributors(ur not new mate)

i belive your missing the point....

imo i dont think the community should be run so that noobs will have to put in as much effrot to find out about something just because the people before them did......
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

knorke wrote: I was just listening to some music in foobar player and suddendly winamp started playing arghs speech (alarm clock plugin)
Did not realize at first and it made for a very weird eerie combination...
leave it in your random playlist

perfect thing start playing in an intimate moment
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

May post is, that we all did this game before, we all created Games on paper, and they were children from our minds, and therefore unique and a absolut "must-be-done" on humanitys todolist, however, when people like me and he, discovered there was actually alot of boring work out there, which was not half that funny, as putting concepts together, we dropped the docs into a board, and got in a row with the hoard.

Its simple, game creating is not as funny as playing, compare the hours of compiling and tuning a single map, oh what joy, with the hour gone into a conceptdoc, that is posted. By making that experience, of having your wings cut, i earned myself the right, to bash somebody who is still fucking the sky.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7999

Now back to work, the newisance has passed. That goes for you too argh, dont even think about the reply button, to avoid another hour in the slave mine.
knorke

Post by knorke »

person 1 has an emotional attachment to something(ex. an idea, passion, wtv)
yea, thats a good point.
But nobody has attacked his project, only the way it was presented.
also your definition of e bullying happens to conviently reflect what you want people to think about the situation....not the actual representation of what the word is actually associated with...which is sort of unfair/deceptive imo
I just wanted to say there is a difference if you attack/critize somebodys internetname/his postings or the real person. Of course behind every internetname is a real person.
You do not feel bad if you vote "thumb down" on a bad youtube video?
There must be a threshould where you say "that does not affect me as a real person."
imo i dont think the community should be run so that noobs will have to put in as much effrot to find out about something just because the people before them did.
Nobody wants this. That is a problem of poor documentation/lazyness to feed the wiki. Not a problem of hostilty.
code&script [...]its the most scarry barrier evar.
the scary barrier is that documentation is not as good as it should be (in a perfect world) For example walkscripts seem to be a big mistery. Like a holy trophy they are taken from old TA. Probally with a good doc everybody who has done some programming (and has somewhat learnd lua) and knows a little geometry/math could make them.
Its simple, game creating is not as funny as playing, compare the hours of compiling and tuning a single map, oh what joy, with the hour gone into a conceptdoc, that is posted. By making that experience, of having your wings cut, i earned myself the right, to bash somebody who is still fucking the sky.
This. With lots of friendly help I got one unit halfworking ingame and since then I respect everybody who is working on a game with a dozen units even more. Not so much for the modeling/texture thing, thats just talent+pratice but for the mind boggeling struggle with upspring, fbi tags and whatnot. Some with maps + the engine of course. Graphics in newest xbox game do not impress me that much as ZOMG FLOATING ICONS IN SPRIND TD COOL
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

xzalion wrote:I said it now & will say it more times. Some guys here have major issues! Trying to make me look like an fool through stupid comic ART stuff. Well done mates ... Well done mates!
Well, my comic wasn't meant to put any individual in to the bad light or look like a fool, though it was indicating a certain issue. It was meant to be ironical humour to break some ice, but sorry if it insulted you.

I hope that some of the people got the idea though so that it wasn't completely fail comic.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I have a friend from south africa who hasnt been in the UK long and his english is fine. Most language issues are because of sayings and things that dont make much sense around here because nobody says them, or things that are fine in SA but have different connotations or meanings here, rather than poor english
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Related Picture

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Moderators should edit posts, never delete them. :|
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

FLOZi wrote:Moderators should edit posts, never delete them. :|
Or use strikethrough!
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

you are a bad writer and a good alchemist since you have figured out how to turn poo into paragraphs.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

KDR_11k wrote:As I said before, this is the most hostile community I've been to and I think a lot of that is down to moderator leniency. The tighter the iron fist of the moderators the less rule violation tends to happen. I've been to a forum where posting a poll was grounds for instant banning and there was no trolling going on there, as the stricter moderators departed more and more previously productive community members became trolls. I don't like this whole felony/misdemeanor/whatever talk, if someone misbehaves kick him out.

That said I'm not gonna go rogue and wipe out people on the forum, even though I technically have moderation rights over the forum I was only appointed for moderating the lobby and I see the forum as outside of my jurisdiction.
As of now I extend your jurisdiction to cover the forum. I didn't realize that you hadn't been informed of the decision to merge forum and lobby moderation roles. I assumed, evidently incorrectly, that you were for the most part inactive.

The felonies and misdemeanors are guidelines so people who are moderated have some idea why they are being moderated. We give warnings to keep a record, we can still and perhaps should increasingly act upon the first or second infraction. I would love to hear your thoughts on moderation in the moderation forum.
FLOZi wrote:Moderators should edit posts, never delete them. :|
An edit does not leave a history of what has been edited, whereas when we delete a post we retain a log of it. We strive to use deletion only when necessary, and otherwise edit to preserve continuity within discussions.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Deletion is never necessary. :|
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I disagree. If a post serves no other function than to derail a discussion, or attack a poster, there is no reason to retain it in the context of the discussion. Editing it would serve no function, as it would not keep a local record of whatever prompted moderation action and with no useful content it does not contribute to the discussion. However, deleting it would serve a function - the offensive element is removed and a record remains for moderation reference.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

But the 'offender' is not informed as to why their post was removed. Edited posts should (and mostly do at least when executed by you) state specific contraventions of rules and the penalty incurred.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

deletion makes the act of moderation pointless because a primary portion of discipline is that you cant discipline someone and expect them to never do it again if they never know what they were disciplined for.

People need examples of what is unnacceptable. Rather than delete posts, make it very clear why it was unnacceptable, and what was done about it, and the whole thing becomes vastly more effective.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Which is another element of the warning system. It allows us to explain what caused moderation action outside of the original discussion, thus avoiding derailment. We do make it clear why one is being moderated, this is something we've been working on actively for a year, along with more verbose banning messages and other systematic changes.

~

If there are eleven posts by four posters stemming from one personal attack, constituting a complete derailment of a healthy conversation, it is unlikely that all the posters involved should be moderated. However, I cannot remove just the origin post and hope to undercut the derailment. I could edit all of the posts and not remove the initial statements - this leaves the offensive content in play and usually results in a continuation of the derailment. I could edit all of the posts and remove the derail content, but then there are eleven empty posts and no general moderation record besides the one warning I sent out, which may or may not have the details of the now changed post. I could cut the thread off and close it, retaining the record, but this often leads to cross-thread reference either in the original thread, or in a later trolling thread.

None of these options are better than cutting out the derail, locking it and deleting it. The structure and content is preserved in a manner I can refer to if asked/necessary but is out of the public eye and cannot be easily used to start or contribute to another flamewar. The original thread has minimal dead wood.

Return to “General Discussion”