spring for android?

spring for android?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

eliofall

spring for android?

Post by eliofall »

When is spring going to be ported for android? I mean it is crossplatform right? Would opening up a donation help to get this started?

Come on who else wants ta spring on your android phone?
Das Bruce

Re: spring for android?

Post by Das Bruce »

You realise phones don't yet have the computational capacity of gaming desktop computers, right?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Eugh, Spring on anything but a PC? Eugh... It's bad enough on a laptop ¬¬
eliofall

Post by eliofall »

10 years ago the droid was a laptop pc. Or better said that it has the same spects as a pc of 10 years ago. So yes spring for desktop pc would be way to heavy to run on any android device. ie the same computers that would run TA and starcraft

So trim it up for SpringMo.

Think about how nice it would be if there was something for android. I mean iphone has command and conquer. Its not the full game by any means but it is a real rts on a smart phone.

Another thing that would be nice to see for spring is to use google earth as maps. Oh and compains.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

all that has been suggested already, search forum for long discussions and all the arguments you need to realize: forget it
do not insist in discussing this further here. it has been discussed. the situation has not changed
go on living, do something useful. do not distract anyone else from potentially doing something useful.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

eliofall wrote: I mean iphone has command and conquer. Its not the full game by any means but it is a real rts on a smart phone.
That game, while being an RTS, simply doesn't approach the level of complexity of spring.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Aside from it being just like the old 2d versions of yonder year, you can see just as much of the battlefield if not more than what you can on the newer desktop version, and the zoom is just as pitiful.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

you must be trolling... you can't be serious.

spring runs slow enough on my 2-3 years old desktop pc, getting it to run on a phone is simply ludicrous.

trim it up? you need to make a whole new game for it to be able to run on something like that.

also wtf using google earth as maps?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Okay, so 3 years ago I was running spring just fine on some old shitputer. Now my phone is fucking sex, and android ports for it are in active development (its running, just missing a few things like speakers, gps, 3d acceleration (which is the key part here lol), and bluetooth).

I think this idea is batshit AWESOME
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Tribulex wrote: I think this idea is batshit AWESOME
I think being able to fly would be batshit AWESOME but then again, I don't particularly see it happening any time soon...
aegis

Post by aegis »

Some people were toying with the idea of making a mobile-ized version of Spring.
It wouldn't be able to run Spring maps/mods verbatim, but they could be ported without too much hassle. It might be heavily rewritten, optimizing for much weaker devices in exchange for features

Target language is C/C++, the render target would be OpenGL ES, Lua support is undecided, maps might have pathing data precomputed and embedded, it would need a user interface optimized to scale from small to large screens...

Anyway, maybe you'll see a beta sometime in the next couple of years.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

In the next couple of years, you'll just have to pull out an early Spring release, since phones are only that many couple of years behind personal computers.
aegis

Post by aegis »

the fastest phone I've seen has a 1ghz arm processor... going on raw clock speed (I know you can't compare directly between architectures), that'd coincide with a decent pentium III... a processor which was introduced over ten years ago.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

aegis wrote:the fastest phone I've seen has a 1ghz arm processor... going on raw clock speed (I know you can't compare directly between architectures), that'd coincide with a decent pentium III... a processor which was introduced over ten years ago.
This here is the problem. Spring has always been very proc intensive. Only the smallest maps and lowest unit-count games would run on a 1ghz machine, even using a very old build of Spring. The engine just isn't designed for low-resource use.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

the funny thing about this is that phones will actually be powerful enough to run spring in another 10 years/ go go go quadcore tricorder
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KaiserJ wrote:the funny thing about this is that phones will actually be powerful enough to run spring in another 10 years/ go go go quadcore tricorder
I don't know about that. To me it seems like Moore's Law is grinding to a halt. 20 years ago my PC was like 33 Megahertz. 8 years ago my computer had 2ghz. Today? 3ghz (but dual-core). Laptops seem to be flittering around between 1 and 2ghz. I imagine handhelds will hover around 1 for a long time.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Pxtl wrote:
KaiserJ wrote:the funny thing about this is that phones will actually be powerful enough to run spring in another 10 years/ go go go quadcore tricorder
I don't know about that. To me it seems like Moore's Law is grinding to a halt. 20 years ago my PC was like 33 Megahertz. 8 years ago my computer had 2ghz. Today? 3ghz (but dual-core). Laptops seem to be flittering around between 1 and 2ghz. I imagine handhelds will hover around 1 for a long time.
Clock speed and the number of instructions processed per second are not analogous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructio ... per_second
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Even if you could run Spring on a phone, the possible interface and form factor would require considerable changes to be at all enjoyable.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I'd prefer to get a version of Spring running my netbook. Just a trimmed down graphical version of Spring which is compatible with online gameplay...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Jazcash wrote:I'd prefer to get a version of Spring running my netbook. Just a trimmed down graphical version of Spring which is compatible with online gameplay...
The problem, though, is reducing the CPU footprint. As bad as the integrated graphics are, they are not what prevents me from 1v1 on my EEE.

Return to “General Discussion”