Portable Spring on portableapps.com?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i've noticed we have a portable version of Spring in the Downloads page. Why not add it to the applications at portableapps.com?
They have plenty of games and afaik it's a pretty popular website, i get tons of crap for my pendrive there.
It would be a great way to get Spring noticed.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Re: Portable Spring on portableapps.com?

Post by koshi »

Do it!
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

seems to broke for me. Maybe make sure it works before posting it there?
caldera

Post by caldera »

i would also include at least one map and one mod. Or does automatic download work in portable spring too?
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

i would do it but it requires knowledge (of the engine and such) which i do not possess, portableapps wants people to put it in their format, which means adding directories and moving things everywhere... i think it would be worthwhile though, i'm sure the amount of work it takes to make it compatible is not much and that website is pretty popular.

(if the portable version is unstable that's another story though)
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

include ba dsd, and an annoying point spamming widget. This should pretty much take care of everything the user could need.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Posting Spring anywhere external is useless. It is an engine and the learning curve to download things and make them work is too high. Don't publicly upload packages including content of questionable legality. Let a game developer upload a simple, self-contained game package (eg zswzg).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I'm not sure Spring can be made to obey strictly to their format specification. I could modify my launcher.exe so it run a Spring.exe in a subfolder, but how to maked default settings and configurations be copied from DefaultData to Data on first try? Would it be possible to keep mods & maps (which wouldn't change) in a folder, while having all that is changed (spring settings, widgets settins, infolog, demos) in another?

Is there some mode where TASClient won't use registery, or will clean registery on exit? Or maybe there's tools on portableapps to do that? How to tell TASClient to store its generated files (logs, etc..) in another folder?

Beside, the way we can already configure what Spring uses for data folder confuse me enough, I wouldn't it to be complicated even more just to adhere to portableapps rules.

I could cheat around a bit by making my launcher copies some files, like mods & maps & client, from DefaultData to Data.

Basically, it isn't as trivial as saying: Spring IS portable, let's add it there!
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

zwzsg wrote:I'm not sure Spring can be made to obey strictly to their format specification. I could modify my launcher.exe so it run a Spring.exe in a subfolder, but how to maked default settings and configurations be copied from DefaultData to Data on first try? Would it be possible to keep mods & maps (which wouldn't change) in a folder, while having all that is changed (spring settings, widgets settins, infolog, demos) in another?
All this is already done in the portable archive.
zwzsg wrote:Is there some mode where TASClient won't use registery, or will clean registery on exit? Or maybe there's tools on portableapps to do that? How to tell TASClient to store its generated files (logs, etc..) in another folder?
Springlobby is portable, and won't use registry as crappy tasclient.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I don't doubt the portable archive of Spring is portable, just that it follows PortableApps exact rules.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

so is there any chance this will happen? it can't take too much work i think, and it'd be a great way to get spring "out there" (btw i saw they recently added warzone 2100 to the list of games, let's give them some competition :) )

if people told me what i have to do to make this happen i could try, but keep in mind i have the coding skills of a retarded dung beetle that has undergone a lobotomy.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

It'll happen when:
- SpringSettings.exe --config pathto/SpringSettings.cfg will work
- SpringLobby.exe --config pathto/SpringSettings.cfg will work
- SpringLobby.exe store chat logs where the env var SPRING_DATADIR points to

Also, I was weirded out to be unable to locate where SpringLobby.exe store its own settings, but I need a way to have them in that same folder I make --config and SPRING_DATADIR points to.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

so my inexistent coding skills/experience suggests that this doesn't seem like a ton of work, could any dev take up the task?
sorry for rezzing this thread but i think this would be a really great way to get spring "out there"
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Google_Frog wrote:Posting Spring anywhere external is useless. It is an engine and the learning curve to download things and make them work is too high. Don't publicly upload packages including content of questionable legality. Let a game developer upload a simple, self-contained game package (eg zswzg).
^^ This.
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

well zwzsg is trying to make the KP installer work isn't he?
edit: or not, idk, in any case that would would be what we want no?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

well making portable <modname>+engine would be simple. I could do that with evo no problem. Basically anything on rapid could go portable instantly.

Portable <modname>+engine is not a bad idea.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Spring is already portable.

But: portable != portableapps.com specs

On PortableApps.com they don't only require the app to be portable, but also a separation of user data and app.

Which I can't do until what I said in my previous post.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

In portable spring, springlobby stores it's own settings in the spring folder.

Edit: That said, running spring from a flash drive isn't the smartest thing to do.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Yes, and PortableApps.com wants it to store them in another folder.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That's strange, I prefer it when portable apps store their data in their own folder. I dislike the data being spread all over the place.

Return to “General Discussion”