The mysterise of windows user files

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

reivanen

Post by reivanen »

So, last time i chacked spring installed by default files to atleast one hidden folder (app data),my documents... i must forget someone.

Is this possible in any way (ie in forking windows)

Nothing gets installed to a hidden folder (let it be appdata)
User related files gets installed into User data/program specified path
Nothing gets installed into My documents

This way to make a full backup of you program peronal settings you would only need to backup Application data folder

Currently the only viable way is to backup the whole /username/ folder, and after restoring it a clean install of a program might not be a clean install afterall, since program specific config settings are stored under appdata hidden folder.

Would it just not be simple to have all the configure settings of a core app be stored in the install dir for example, and all the user configure ettings stored in the userland?

The reason for this thread is that i still remember fucking around with spring for hours and hours just to figure out the problem was some config setting i found after i enabled show hidden folders and from there navigated to some obscure paths to find the files...
SinbadEV

Re: The mysterise of windows user files

Post by SinbadEV »

I think he's asking for the opposite of what you responded with...

all stuff should be stored in a logical location on a windows build (app-data for config stuff and a special folder somewhere in userland for maps, mods, mutators, widgets etc...) I'm pretty sure with some tweaking you CAN make spring do this but it would make sense if the installer did this by defaults...
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

No, he was asking for exactly what Koshi pointed him too (unless I'm hugely mistaken).
Reivanen, that file is a zipped portable version of Spring, ie it'll run straight off a USB stick on any comp you plug it into (ie it has all the settings within the /Spring folder).
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SeanHeron wrote:No, he was asking for exactly what Koshi pointed him too (unless I'm hugely mistaken).
Reivanen, that file is a zipped portable version of Spring, ie it'll run straight off a USB stick on any comp you plug it into (ie it has all the settings within the /Spring folder).
maybe I'm misunderstanding then... doesn't portable versions of software freak out on Vista/7?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

no
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

When I installed portable Notepad++ it freaks out on Windows 7... numerous discussions on this very forum have indicated that security protocols prevent Spring Downloader from moving around files to the spring install directory... maybe I've made some incorrect assumptions.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Why would anyone install portable apps to a UAC protected directory? That's just wrong.
I don't think SpringDownloader is a portable app / has a portable mode.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

koshi wrote:Why would anyone install portable apps to a UAC protected directory?
A lack of understanding of UAC? Aren't ALL folders on a W7/Vista install UAC protected by default? so unless this guy wants to run that Portable version on XP or a USB drive it's not going to resolve his problem so much as make him MORE problems.
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

SinbadEV wrote:Aren't ALL folders on a W7/Vista install UAC protected by default?
No
How many of your installed programs constantly ask for permission to write temporary/config files?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

*headslap* is he copying portable apps into program files?

You know that warning that Windows has where they say "don't fark with this folder"? They mean it.

Put it in a root folder, or in your userland folders.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Yay, I moved Notepad++ out of program files and now it works without being administrator, GLEE!!!

I wonder if it will work for Gimp too?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

look guys, it's pretty simple. He's worried about the hidden files, so lets just tell him what they are.

They are settings files for spring and springlobby, and no they don't get deleted when you uninstall. They are all of a few kilobytes large, and if you reinstall spring, your settings for SL AND Spring will still be intact so you won't have to configure anything all over again.

If you want, turn on hidden files and folders in windows and go in and delete them. Also, don't put portable apps in Program Files (if thats what you were thing about doing).
knorke

Post by knorke »

similiar problem:
say i want to keep my old version install of spring because of some replays etc. i might want to make into movies.

is it possible to install the new spring version in a way that they will share the mods&maps folders? They should also keep their own settings.
how would i do that?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Put all your maps and mods into your documents folder, subdir "My Games/Spring". All that stuff will be shared.
knorke

Post by knorke »

hm my windows is on a different HD than games and other stuff.
i would like to keep that seperated..
is it possible to change the folder spring looks for maps?

f:\games\springcontent
f:\games\spring080
f:\games\spring081
f:\games\spring079

something like this.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

You should be able to do that but you will need to do some manual tweaking with each install I would think... and make sure that the folders in question have write permissions for your users.
knorke

Post by knorke »

cool.
where would i set the path?
in registry?
the only registry keys i find seem to make doubleclick replay -> launch spring.
xp btw.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

knorke wrote:cool.
where would i set the path?
in registry?
the only registry keys i find seem to make doubleclick replay -> launch spring.
xp btw.
i you use springlobby, go to edit -> preferences -> spring
then click on change datadir
lurker

Post by lurker »

You seem to be a bit misinformed on how windows works. You have a normal application data folder, and you have a local application data folder. On XP these are "Application Data" and "Local Settings/Application Data". On Vista these are "AppData/Roaming" and "AppData/Local". These are what you need to copy, if windows hides one and only one from you blame it. Spring is not using any secret folder.

P.S. Maybe you need to turn off 'hide protected operating system files'

Return to “General Discussion”