Things to do BEFORE advertise. - Page 2

Things to do BEFORE advertise.

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Re: Things to do BEFORE advertise.

Post by Satirik »

instead of making such a useless thread you can actually do something for spring like fixing bugs or adding the missing features

as you probably forgot spring devs are spending their freetime so you can play and whine ...
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I must say I fully agree with satirik on this.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

zwzsg wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:If it is difficult for a Game Designer to make their game have a simple installer that gives them a complete installation that they only need to doubleclick on and play. When they play it they want to know WTF they're doing, not search obscure documentation for secret buttons. then it becomes a problem for players.
It's not difficult, but no one cares about that beside me and Argh. All the other Game Designers just use confusing and ugly autodownloader, or a plain zip file, and don't even bother to make a simple "quick here to play" to run the thing. Plus all other Spring games are geared toward multiplayer only, spring literate people only.
That isn't exactly true, both Smoth and the S44 team want to do that. Smoth lacks the energy, and the S44 team has conflicting contributors or something.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

neddiedrow wrote:
zwzsg wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:If it is difficult for a Game Designer to make their game have a simple installer that gives them a complete installation that they only need to doubleclick on and play. When they play it they want to know WTF they're doing, not search obscure documentation for secret buttons. then it becomes a problem for players.
It's not difficult, but no one cares about that beside me and Argh. All the other Game Designers just use confusing and ugly autodownloader, or a plain zip file, and don't even bother to make a simple "quick here to play" to run the thing. Plus all other Spring games are geared toward multiplayer only, spring literate people only.
That isn't exactly true, both Smoth and the S44 team want to do that. Smoth lacks the energy, and the S44 team has conflicting contributors or something.
S44 has a proper installer, thanks mainly to Koshi (afaik). Problem is it is outdated content at current, but that should be fixed by the end of the month. :wink:
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

FLOZi wrote: S44 has a proper installer, thanks mainly to Koshi (afaik). Problem is it is outdated content at current, but that should be fixed by the end of the month. :wink:
I'm talking about the single player launcher, which zwzsg showed us, and nobody tested.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

neddiedrow wrote:
FLOZi wrote: S44 has a proper installer, thanks mainly to Koshi (afaik). Problem is it is outdated content at current, but that should be fixed by the end of the month. :wink:
I'm talking about the single player launcher, which zwzsg showed us, and nobody tested.
Are you calling me nobody?
Sefidel

Post by Sefidel »

Uh...spring is a work in progress. And nobody is stopping anyone from helping.

Your complaints are of the general "im pissed i couldnt get spring to work on my .6 ghz laptop with 8 mb onboard intel graphics card"

Honestly if you cant get spring to launch with your computer, post an infolog at the very least. There is no need to belittle everyone involved.

And what is this bullshit about your processor running at 150%? are we in fairy tale land? Hey guys my proc runs at 1000% when spring is running what do i do?

Additionally the only time it runs high is when its minimap caching, whihc isnt evne about the lobby but is unitsync.dll, and frankly if you have a million maps are you surprised.

Of course its a "find yourself" tags for mods etc. If you want to make something unique you have to start from scratch. But there are just about a billion example scripts. And several 10 year olds have made really stupid mods, but they apparently did it by figuring it out themselves. If you want someone to hold your hand, pay them.

I have a shitty ATI 2400. It works like a charm. Try updating your graphics card drivers genius.

Key bindings are in a file easily edited.

"So many things are hardcoded" I call bullshit. Have you read the lua dev protocol desc for spring? It documents everything. And second, you can do anything you want iwth opengl access. Literally, anything you want.

If you find a problem just post it like a normal person and dont bitch the whole time.

You end your rant with "Dont Care" like an ass hole. you cant bitch for 6 paragraphs and end it that way. Dont have a response to that? I dont care.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but if you took AA 2.11 from three and a half years ago and compared it to BA 7.10, how many user facing changes would people notice?

Sure, LUPS and Lua UI and just Lua in general have done a lot. However, there's been about a million back end changes that really haven't helped out that huge majority of players that are just here to play an updated version of TA or play something like Supreme Commander, just less buggy. All these changes have resulted in a ton of regressions over the last few years, and the documentation is really not at all accurate anymore. There isn't even a wiki link on the top bar of the Spring site anymore.

Lack of user polish, regressions, bugs, bad documentation is really just killing Spring and it is making people quit. One bad release of crashing when Spring starts or a bunch of games crashing midway or desyncing is enough to make most people walk away and not come back. I've personally seen it happen to multiple people I have played with.

Starcraft 2 beta was just announced today, for February 28th. What do you want to bet that Starcraft's actual release in the June - August timeframe cannibalizes half Spring's current player base? (Along with C&C4 and Supreme Commander 2, both shipping real soon now)

Most people who play games just want to do something that "just works", which is what these commercial games do very well, and is why consoles seem to be killing off PCs.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I blame shitty playerbase. Get that fixed, then advertise
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

JohannesH wrote:I blame shitty playerbase. Get that fixed, then advertise
I gotta say you're half right, Spring has WAY too much drama for its relatively small size. It's like some sort of bizarre transatlantic soap opera some days. I think "tragicomic" is the best term to describe it, I certainly laugh and cry depending on the day.

Certainly Spring should get advertising placements from Jiffy Pop and some sort of vodka.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

el_matarife wrote:I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but if you took AA 2.11 from three and a half years ago and compared it to BA 7.10, how many user facing changes would people notice?
That's where you start going wrong IMO.

Even if you take BA in 10 years it will be nearly the same as AA three and a half years ago, independent of whether Spring actually improved, because that is exactly what BA is about. (i.e. stable)

(Hint: compare any non-BA game from three and half years ago with the current version (S44,CA,SWIW,KP,...))

Wrt the website: http://github.com/spring/spring-website
If you need a sample database PM me, I'll make one if there is actually interest in it.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

YEAahhhhh pretty much when I left everything went to piss... OK developers, I'm back, you can fix the control panel and stop shitting on everyone who complains about known bugs now. /s

If a bug is so well-known, prevalent, and long-lasting it's MTR, the user isn't the one "doing it wrong" when he reports it.

Return to “General Discussion”