How's life @ Spring RTS - Page 2

How's life @ Spring RTS

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

IceXuick

Re: How's life @ Spring RTS

Post by IceXuick »

Haha, overwhelming!!
Okay let's begin

@ Smoth: cool that supcom didn't put an halt or anything on the spring project! (dedicated community = :wink: )

@ Beherith: I've checked the maps in the link midknight posted, they look freak'n fantastic! I can't really give you a simple answer on those 'heightlines'. It does come out in a few template materials in Bryce. Try using different heightmaps (8/16/32 bit grayscales) and/or different render settings (lighting perhaps..? dunno) On some renders of mine they were or absolete, or mostly invisble, or too visible.. Quite a lot of Photoshoppin went into them. Too bad i can't remember the materials... But anyway, i don't think you need them.. the images i saw from your maps and asteroids look very, very good!! pro!

@ FA: sweet to see you haven't abbandonned the spring project like me. Still mapping? Any good stuff i have to see? Anywayz, good to hear from you too!

@ MidKnight: LO! im starting to get a bad memory, but yes, my last posts where sometin in 2007.. so possibly. Thanks for your links! Give me speedy insight in the "whats-going-on" @ GUI/Mapping. GUI is still not what i hoped it to be... LUA and designing i think still is kinda hard or sometin... If i get some time.. i'll try and lookup my designs.

@JazCash: LOL!! well.. euhm... i kinda did some C64 remixes yes.. so... possibly you listened to mine :) lol (however there are countless C64 remixes.. have my harddrive packed with em. Did you download them from my portfolio site? www.ixstudios.nl/portfolio/ ? (sound design) If that's a yes.. then yes, it was mee! (the Aztec Challenge track isn't in that RAR file.. but well... it wasn't that good...)
Nice to hear i get Googled anyway :)

@KaiserJ: well that a trick you could do.
Though it should be easier to get the Bryce settings just right.. than you have instant heightlines.. like in old TA :)

@neddiedrow: Well my final plans with my company are to make more 'studios' (one for web, one for video, one for 3d.. and eventually joining them into one big GAMING FACTORY). And believe it or not, my first game will (and should) be an RTS game! Well.. still a bit of dreaming going on here, but de company here goes like crazy and customers are (they say themselves) extremely satisfied.

@hunterw: it's an unpronoucable word/nick :lol:

@Sertse: Still unbelievably happy with this euhm.. 'award' :)

@ FA: is SRS a map of yours? or have i been away way too long to understand your last post? :)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Supcomm probably would have taken a lot of the playerbase if it wasn't like TAspring(the TA bits of spring) with a worse interface (area commands, lua interface, selectkeys, uikeys, ctrlpanel.txt), less units, 3 pretty similar techs and a lot more econing.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Heyas! Glad to see you poked your head back in. The possibility of building maps like Moonbase exists now, without a lot of hassle. If you still have those models, please release them, we can use them!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

IceXuick wrote: @JazCash: LOL!! well.. euhm... i kinda did some C64 remixes yes.. so... possibly you listened to mine :) lol (however there are countless C64 remixes.. have my harddrive packed with em. Did you download them from my portfolio site? http://www.ixstudios.nl/portfolio/ ? (sound design) If that's a yes.. then yes, it was mee! (the Aztec Challenge track isn't in that RAR file.. but well... it wasn't that good...)
Nice to hear i get Googled anyway :)
Yeh, I've been listening to an internet radio station for like 2 years now known as SLAY Radio.
All the tracks I love I download as most of them are free, then I listen to them every now and then. I've listened to them so much, the authors names got transfixed and printed into my DNA, therefore, I cannot forget them.
As it so happens, the Spring community forces it's players to play DSD 24/7. It's a fucking awesome map, but I think even you would get sick of playing the same map over and over again, even if it was yours :P
Anyway as you can imagine, the details and authors names of maps I've played all my Spring life also became encryted into my skull.
When two authors are listed in my skulls database as creating two different types of work, my brain auto-commands me to search Google for that author to check my findings. I did this, and HOLY FACKING SHIT.

You've created two completely different & great pieces of work that will be engraved in my head for enternity.

I've had DSD and The Last Ninja 3 Intro (Remix), Cauldron, HawkEye and Wizard on my HDD and engraved in my brain for about 2 years without ever relating the two things. I had no idea who you were until I googled, even then, I had no idea that you made all these pieces of work.

It's only by chance that I discovered two very very isolated pieces of work as C64 Remixes and Spring are not mainstream.

If you hadn't have come back and posted this thread, then my skulls database would only list your pieces of work as "Possible author match".

Sir, I take my hat off to you.

Edit:
I downloaded the tracks from http://remix.kwed.org/
I also believe a TradeMark of this Spring community and maybe others also love both your works without knowing the awesomeness behind their existence.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

oh shit thats crazy the legendary creator of the legendary map dsd is also make dem legendary c64 tunes I listen to
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Hay, glad to see your doing well for yourself! Was wondering were you got to!!

aGorm

(You spelt aGorm right... noone ever bothers!!!)
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

aGorm wrote:aGorm

(You spelt aGorm right... noone ever bothers!!!)
Well maybe if you reminded us once in a while by typing it out then we'd remember how to spell it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I always try to spell it right aGorm =[
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

half of spring community hates u Ice... we cant play anything but dsd now >:(
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

CarRepairer wrote:Well maybe if you reminded us once in a while by typing it out then we'd remember how to spell it.
LOL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Look, I didn't sign at the end... happy now?

PS: And I know you do AF... dont worry. 8)
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Wombat wrote:half of spring community hates u Ice... we cant play anything but dsd now >:(
This is true :mrgreen:

My question is how did you come up with idea of DSD?

For a nooby map maker, how did you make something so perfectly addictive?

Was their any fairy dust involved?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Wombat wrote:half of spring community hates u Ice... we cant play anything but dsd now >:(
You have to remember that befor Delta Siege Dry, the most played map was Speed Metal. So we should all be thanksful to IceXuick.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

zwzsg wrote:
You have to remember that befor Delta Siege Dry, the most played map was Speed Metal. So we should all be thanksful to IceXuick.
No one hates him, because he made an absolutely godly map. SM sucks, i was good at it when it was popular(inventor of fleadrop *bow*), but now dsd is definitely the best map. There is just so much awesome that can be done on the map. Epic battles and compushing in the south, geoporcing and teching in the north. It is also a great map for CA because of allterrain and jumpjets in north. Little details like the ability to hide a lab in certain spots and spam aks/pw into their base and the stealthy comdrop trick make this map the coolest of cool.

I used to make maps but i just stopped because nothing could beat iceuick.

typemap does suck tho :(
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Ice - Congrats on growing up mate :-) I should be joining you soon :-) Keep us posted on cool developments with the company!
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Spawn_Retard wrote:
My question is how did you come up with idea of DSD?
i think the idea was "remove the ocean from delta siege"
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Wasnt the whole point of Delta siege being that there were no half decent maps with both water an land that didnt end up with something like the OTA maps with a bit of land at each end and a giant sea...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Yeah, I remember it like that as well.

Truth be told, it was an excellent mixed map in need of a decent content package to play on it. E&E had potential but then the ships ended up so obscene for cost...

We still don't have anything where land and sea are designed in such a way and balanced tightly enough where the map isn't entirely split by the distinction.
Gota

Post by Gota »

IMO,DS had an unfortunate flaw.
The vertical water stripe in the middle northern part of the map.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Ice, your maps have been an inspiration to us all, thank you!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Yeh... He's gone again.

Return to “General Discussion”