Noob needs HELP!!!

Noob needs HELP!!!

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Viktor87

Noob needs HELP!!!

Post by Viktor87 »

I am really interested in this game and have been trying to set it up on my computer. I installed the basic spring engine, base ota content, and CA mod. I have encountered some problems:

1. My mouse wheel is currently out of commission. Is there another way to zoom in and out, or could I perhaps set one up?

2. Scroll speed and map rotation speed is very slow.

And most importantly,
3. I get bad lag. Now, my computer exceeds the minimum requirements- 1.7 Gigahertz, 1.5 Gb RAM, Radeon 9600 graphics card. My screen resolution is set to 1028, and other options to low or minimal. I get lag especially when things are being built, and that wireframe mesh graphic of unit comes up. Is there a way to turn that off? I don't get much lag otherwise.

Please help!!!

Thank you
Pxtl

Re: Noob needs HELP!!!

Post by Pxtl »

I used to run a similar-spec machine... when you say "things being built", do you mean a few things building something? Or 100 nanotowers building a single unit?

A machine like that will die in the BA late-game as the spam of fusion/maker/nanotower pushes the unit and particle-counts through the roof.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jesus, those are min specs....? I'd recommend double that!

What are your specs?
Viktor87

Post by Viktor87 »

No, I mean the specs I posted ARE my specs, and they seem in line with minimum requirements on the website.

I mean my comp runs HL2 and Rome Total War on medium settings just fine, so I don't see why I should have a problem with this engine.

As for "for things being built"- literally just ONE UNIT being constructed lags it up badly, but everything else seems to run fine, as long as nothing is being built.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ick. I can't think of any reason for that to happen. I assume you're using BA, so it would be the bog-standard graphical construction effects. Try setting the particle-count to zero? Turn the settings even lower? Idunno.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

did you try updating your ATI drivers? ATI sucks in general :\

I have an ATI card in one machine and its a pain to get working with Spring initially.
knorke

Post by knorke »

1. My mouse wheel is currently out of commission. Is there another way to zoom in and out
page up / down.

[quote[2. Scroll speed and map rotation speed is very slow.[/quote]
use crtl+backspace to circle cameramode to "overhead camera".
springsettings.exe can change camerasettings.
Viktor87

Post by Viktor87 »

Yay! Thanks for the help! Expect more questions from me later :)
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

If you're running CA, I STRONGLY recommend you turn OFF every widget you can. Many of them are quite resource-hungry. Also, CA does tend to want more resources than, say, NOTA.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Hmm? The latest CA stable builds cut down on widgets enabled by default. That shouldn't be very necessary. :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

half life 2 came out 5+ years ago as did rome total war.

Even then you had to run them on medium. I am not saying that your issue is invalid, I am just trying to put into perspective.

I run a dual core 3.2 ghz with nvidia 280 and I believe 2-3 gigs of ram. At medium settings I can easily get >100 fps but I don't run at that, I run with all my bells and whistles :).

The older ati cards may have issues with spring as it is set to utilize optimizations for later versions of open gl. If my source here is correct the radeon 9600 was a mid-range card from 2002. That is 7 years old.

Not trying to rail on you. I am shocked we have such unrealistic requirements for spring.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Smoth - BA looks the same as it did back when Half-life 2 was new.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pxtl wrote:@Smoth - BA looks the same as it did back when Half-life 2 was new.
and?

comparing spring to halflife2 is like comparing WCIII to quake 2

*edits for further clarity*
just because BA has shit models does not mean the engine is not doing an asston of work.
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

i don't think you should have any problem with it on those settings, i ran fine on much less.

your GPU is more than enough and you don't need much ram, CPU is the main problem area when you get a lot of units towards the end of the game, just stick to smaller games, so no 6v6+ perhaps
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

ATI cards fail @ spring

turn terrain detail down, reflectivity off, decals off, max particles to low, 16 bit colours, max sounds to 32, grass off, anti alaising low or off and you should cope fine at 1024

you _NEED_ a mousewheel to play spring properly. new mouse is like 3 pound off amazon, cough up :p
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote: turn terrain detail down
1v0ry_king probably means change terrain polycount with HOME / END keys.
smoth

Post by smoth »

hmm, well if the older ati cards have issues with terrain, perhaps terraform is causing him some issue?
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

JAZCASH wrote:image
its a lie! i have 1gb and i run fine on medium settings.

mainly thanks to multithread :]
Viktor87

Post by Viktor87 »

What are widgets and how do I turn them off?
...I am a noob, remember? So at the moment I'm not yet familiar with the terminology.

Return to “General Discussion”