Cannot Update Spring / Join Games

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Roids

Post by Roids »

My brother is trying to install spring onto his computer, he just got a new dell and it is running 64 bit vista. When he tries to join it says cannot connect to the server, then when I retry it just doesnt end up working. It says: Couldn't get your spring versions from any unitsync library. Online play is currently disabled. How do I fix this I have deleted all versions of spring from my computer and it is the latest version but it is saying I need to update. I dont get it!!!! Please help!!!
knorke

Re: Cannot Update Spring / Join Games

Post by knorke »

when you run spring.exe and select the commander script, does it work?
make sure you have at least one mod + map installed.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Didn't Spring used to come packed with 3 maps and BA in the installer or smthg? I think the installer should allow the option to install whichever mod the player wants on installation.

BA should be checked by default.

Also, I believe there used to be packs of popular maps on the installer. What happened to these?

DSD, Altored, Tabula, Comet etc should all be optional for installation when the Spring installer is run. There's a lot of newbs installing who can't figure out why they can't join any games and they have no direct link to find out what to do or where to download maps/mods.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

JAZCASH wrote: BA should be checked by default.
Spring is not BA

let mods make there own installation packages.
caldera

Post by caldera »

as long as ba, s44 or ca dont have a 1 Million advertising campaign noone will visit their games-sites and download just the game. the fact is: they come here, fail and leave spring forever.
1 map should be auto-installed. the installer MUST at least tell you with a big flashing button, that you need a game installed. If you click this button firefox pops up and goes to the mods-category of any spring filesite. There should be listed only the latest versions of the currently working mods.
I'm sure this would work perfectly.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

S44 gets plenty of downloads, yet still has low retention, despite our own custom installer.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Well here's what happens a lot of the time:

New players, install Spring and blah blah blah>
They realize they can't play the game and they ask why.
They ask somebody or #main (D:) why they can't play.
They get told they needs maps and mods and they usually get given a link to BA. (Reason why most new players to Spring play BA)
Then, they find that they need a map. They join a BA game, and oh my, what a surprise, it's DSD. They download DSD and bam. Cycle of life starts again...

If you want to spread the new players out over the maps and mods the best way to do it is include links to all the shit in the installer. Or implement some sort of "Spring Downloader" system into the installer so they can download any maps and mods they choose before they ask for help.

Considering 3/4 of the Spring Community plays BA, when they ask for help, there's a 3/4 chance of them getting links to BA etc.

BA generally means DSD. I personally hate playing the same old maps and mods over and over again but when there's such a small playerbase in the other mods it's just too boring sitting around players on unpopular mods all day.
Scikar

Post by Scikar »

Funny how even threads asking for help devolve into the same arguments again.

Do you have Spring installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\ ? If so, then check run as administrator under compatibility settings for spring.exe, archivemover.exe and springlobby.exe. A better way is just to install it to C:\Games\Spring or just C:\Spring instead, then admin rights aren't needed and you don't need to deal with UAC popups every time you run it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Welcome to the club. We're starting a social movement soon.

Return to “General Discussion”