Spring Drama - Page 3

Spring Drama

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jazcash

Re: Spring Drama

Post by Jazcash »

MR.D wrote:IMO, remove Admin ability from every single player that currently has it, in any capacity. Period.

Start up a POLL and make everyone vote in who they want to be a Lobby moderator.

Don't give the choice to those that want it most, let the players pick who they want to be in charge of lobby bans and moderation.

It may really piss some people off, but when Mods aren't doing their job, and making the players suffer for their lack of judgement, they have no right to any power over any player, good or bad.

For every time a player gets special privileges over another for no reason other than he's part of "***" clan or he's buddies with "xxx" whatever, its bullshit and needs to fkn end.
This is what I'm getting at 100%.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:the mods I encounter in my GMT - peet, neddy, deci, braindamage, quantum- do just fine- who are the mod(s) that are causing such rage to you guize?
spoilers: I'm not a mod
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

MR.D wrote:IMO, remove Admin ability from every single player that currently has it, in any capacity. Period.

Start up a POLL and make everyone vote in who they want to be a Lobby moderator.

Don't give the choice to those that want it most, let the players pick who they want to be in charge of lobby bans and moderation.

It may really piss some people off, but when Mods aren't doing their job, and making the players suffer for their lack of judgement, they have no right to any power over any player, good or bad.

For every time a player gets special privileges over another for no reason other than he's part of "***" clan or he's buddies with "xxx" whatever, its bullshit and needs to fkn end.
It won't fix anything. People have the assumptions that the systems are in place to make modding the spring lobby as easy as it is to mod a steam server or PHPBB. They aren't. The new mods will be fresh and work hard for a month or two, probably less for most of them, and most likely with signifigantly more drama for the others, and then we'll be back where we are right now.

Honestly, you really think the problem is the people? I'm more than happy to shuffle the moderation team, but it's barely a contributor at this point in time. We need a more solid system, and then we need a set of rules that moderation should be enforcing that makes sense to that system. We have rules against intentionally ruining the game for other players, but at what point does "making that player lose" and "ruining the game seperate"? Some people would ban things like dgunning other comms or picking up comms in atlases. Do those things REALLY deserve server wide bans?

The banning structures in place right now are too incomplete and inefficient, the staff is tired and battleworn, and the rules are rusted and non-ideal.

I've been waiting for system changes which aegis has been working on for a long time. But ya, I'm aware, we need to shuffle things up sooner or later.

Should I just start a program to appoint a bunch of new moderators right away and see how that turns out? Some things would need to be changed in the system we're working with right now, but it could be done somewhat painlessly. Who feels bringing on more staff right now would help things?
Regret

Post by Regret »

MR.D wrote:durr
Democratic popularity e-peen contests are not the solution.
SwiftSpear wrote:durr
One thing to point out here: you yourself admitted that you are inactive in the lobby. How do you feel you are able to judge who is and who is not fit as a moderator?

Also, lobby moderators have nothing to be doing moderating INGAME behavior, that is up to the game hosters to moderate. If people follow eachother and kill eachother ingame when on same team, they will get soon banned by the hosts.

As a sidenote: I am currently banned by one of the omnipresent moderators (licho) for actions on one of his autohosts. Instead of banning me on his host, he abused his rights and banned me from the entire server.
Last edited by Regret on 10 Jul 2009, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

SwiftSpear wrote:Who feels bringing on more staff right now would help things?
It's not more staff which we need, it's active staff that actually play the game that we need. Currently, most of the mods don't play the game at all apart from a small few.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Imo deci and lurker are the best mods here, but deci said fuckit a long time ago so yar. But about the poll and stuffs I agree. Anyone who WANTS to be a moderator should not be one. That's jsut begging for abuse.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

It would be nice to get mods from many different countries too so it makes talking between themselves harder.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We've worked to fill the time zones multiple times.
Regret

Post by Regret »

neddiedrow wrote:We've worked to fill the time zones multiple times.
OH, thats where foeofthebee comes from. "YOU SAID 'SHIT', !MUTE 9001"
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

JAZCASH wrote:It would be nice to get mods from many different countries too so it makes talking between themselves harder.
Oh yes, even less inter-moderator communication is EXACTLY what is needed...
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

What we don't need:

Retarded Rent-a-cops who think because they have power over others, that they should ban at every oppotunity or, like FoeOfTheRetard, mute people for 7 hours over things like 'Ah shit' without even a warning.

What we do need:

A moderator who realises that ultimately their job is to maintain lobby stability and access, not enforce rules like a bot who loves the perma-solution.

I personally maintain that I'd be the best moderator ever, simply because I don't give a shit unless someone is just out to cause maximum shit to everyone.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I'm sure the current moderators would do a much more structured job if we actually had some rules and punishments for breaking those rules.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

re the first post Jaz, to paraphrase your conversation with quant:

Jaz: wombat combombed me out of the box in the last game, i want him banned.
Quant: combombing an enemy is not a bannable offence, even if it occurs as soon as its physically possible in the game.
Jaz: cool. im gonna go and commbomb every game i get into for the next 2 hours, see how you like that!
Quant: I'd probably ban you for that.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that *telling* a moderator that you are going to commbomb anyone you can, right at the start of the game, for the rest of the night is probably not the brightest idea.

As others have said, commbombing is a valid tactic, deal with it. On the other hand, commbombing a particular person deliberately every time you are in a game with them, or joining game after game specifically to combomb the other team is (and quite rightly imo) considered disruptive behaviour, to be punished.

If you seriously cannot see the difference, I am geniuinely sorry for you Jaz.
Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

Pressure Line wrote:I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that *telling* a moderator that you are going to commbomb anyone you can, right at the start of the game, for the rest of the night is probably not the brightest idea.
Maybe, but does not telling a moderator make it less of an offense?
Pressure Line wrote:or joining game after game specifically to combomb the other team is (and quite rightly imo) considered disruptive behaviour, to be punished.
If combombing is a valid tactic, how is this any different from, oh, let's say joining game after game specifically to whore econ on the back of DSD or whatever map?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

If combombing is a valid tactic, how is this any different from, oh, let's say joining game after game specifically to whore econ on the back of DSD or whatever map?
Go further down that path and being a noob is a bannable offense. Although in FFA being a noob is particularly bad as it makes others lose and is impossible to balance.
quantum

Post by quantum »

Combombing is generally accepted by players and is in BA by design. Deliberately ruining as many games as possible is not acceptable, whatever the means.

Players just want to play. Why should dozens of them have to deal with someone trying to spoil their fun, just because he wants to prove a point in an argument.
Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I'm not going to participate in drama over a game I don't really care about, even if I do disagree with some of the things said.
quantum

Post by quantum »

In case it's not clear, nobody was banned that day.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Pressure Line wrote:re the first post Jaz, to paraphrase your conversation with quant:

Jaz: wombat combombed me out of the box in the last game, i want him banned.
Quant: combombing an enemy is not a bannable offence, even if it occurs as soon as its physically possible in the game.
Jaz: cool. im gonna go and commbomb every game i get into for the next 2 hours, see how you like that!
Quant: I'd probably ban you for that.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that *telling* a moderator that you are going to commbomb anyone you can, right at the start of the game, for the rest of the night is probably not the brightest idea.

As others have said, commbombing is a valid tactic, deal with it. On the other hand, commbombing a particular person deliberately every time you are in a game with them, or joining game after game specifically to combomb the other team is (and quite rightly imo) considered disruptive behaviour, to be punished.

If you seriously cannot see the difference, I am geniuinely sorry for you Jaz.
So combombing isn't an offense, there's nothing wrong with it apparently.

I decide to combomb for the rest of the day, to see if that's true.

I'm told that if I do that, I'll get banned for it.

So that obviously shows that there is a problem with combombing as he would quite happily ban me for it.

If you can't understand that then I couldn't give a flying fuck for you either way.
Carpenter

Post by Carpenter »

Build AA.

Knowing that FFA games may be fifty-fifty full of trolls, it's actually demanded to build AA. I'm not saying that combomb is lame or what so ever, i accept it in some level, but in FFA it's just really annoying. And yes, it is a good way to ruin the game of the fellow players.

And what comes to wombat, i've started to regard him as a brother of knob. He was decent as a player and bearable as a human some time ago, but nowadays he seems to be just trolling, smurfing and ruining the games he is in.

Sad. ;<

Return to “General Discussion”