Forgive me for asking, I'm too new

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

UltraNoob

Post by UltraNoob »

I was very overjoyed when I stumbled across this project while looking for possible updates and game engine revamps for OTA after finding one for Decent:Freespace.
I have been using TA3D and while it it definitely impressive I am quite impressed by Spring and the mods it supports since it has a crapload of new and/or upgraded units. A couple of things that I have picked up from reading around and from the newbie post http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13261 is that:

1. Spring is mainly geared towards multiplayer, although with bots single player games are possible.

2. You can't play OTA with this game engine

3. SaveGames is broken for now.

I'm using windows xp pro and was currently testing it on an older PC (1.6GHz Sempron, 1G RAM, 40G 7200RMP WD and 256 GeForce FX 5500. Even on that system is it quite impressive and will most likely install in on my main rig which is pretty up to date.

I know a lot of people might slam me for asking but I just wanted to confirm the questions above. I've never been much of an online gamer but if someone can recommend a campaign-oriended single player mod I would be quite happy.

Great community and great mods. Thanks to everyone.
Strategia

Re: Forgive me for asking, I'm too new

Post by Strategia »

Welcome to Spring, we're all very happy you're enjoying yourself (and just ignore the trolls who don't :P)! As for your questions:
1.) Yes. Although IIRC bots are broken in the current version, and adding an AI causes a crash upon game start. Also, you have to download (or, if you've got the skills and the time, make) your own AIs, and not all AIs support all mods (and not all AIs are good at all mods - RAI is a pushover in NOTA, but completely pwns me every time in E&E).
2.) Not as such, though there are several mods (I know of BOTA, and I thought there was another) that try to approach OTA as closely as possible.
3.) Yes.

The only campaign-oriented single-player mod I know of is PURE, but if you want the campaigns, you'll have to pay (the multiplayer version is free). I have no experience with PURE, however, so I can't tell you more.

Note that while many TA-based mods (mainly BA, since it's the most popular mod out there right now) may look a whole lot like OTA, they can play very differently, and especially popular mods like BA can have entire unique play styles attached to them. Make sure to watch replays (of your own games and others') and ask some experienced players to help you.

Also, make sure you try NOTA and E&E (Expand&Exterminate). Not really for any concrete reason, but those are my two favourite mods, so I'm advertising them whenever I can :P
Argh

Post by Argh »

P.U.R.E. comes with 3 missions in the Demo.

I will probably make the Resistance campaign free in the Demo when 1.3 is done. I'll have 3 campaigns at that point, so why not? If people like the first one, they'll love the second and third ones, and pay for it.

Oh, and I have fully working single-player, although it's not "AI", it's a defense game.
UltraNoob

Post by UltraNoob »

@ JAZCASH: Glad I could make your day a little better. I'll probably give the online multiplay a try, just please don't whip me too hard :cry:

@ Argh: Downloading the demo as I'm typing this. Looks pretty good.

@Strategia: Too bad game saves are broken for now. I guess I'll just keep the ones I had until it hopefully gets fixed soon. This was like playing TA for the first time all over agan for me. Already played NOTA, pretty cool. I'll give E&E a whirl tonight.

I really would like to play with all the orginal units but I can understand why so many modders are fearful that sooner or later they might get served by Atari for copyright infringement. Even so, the off-shoots are awesome.

I've had SupCom, still shrinkwrapped and in my closet since the day it came out Have not had a chance to play it since I've had other games in line I've been waiting to play. Now it looks like it might sit there a little longer. Too bad. I was looking forward to it and wanted to use OTA as a refresher before tackling it but I've been derailed by this. Between work, social life and a girlfriend getting through my games is like digging a trench with a teaspoon.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

TA runs really well on modern computers... especially if you apply some of the community patches that increase screen-size and unit-limits... and you can get really smart AIs for it.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

There are plenty of single player missions for multiple different mods. See this thread:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18218

See the list here:

http://planet-wars.eu/MissionEditorServer/
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

hi,

u have nearly the same configuration as the pc of my brother, i set his gfx to low and he has like 100 fps (at start at tabula v2). also there are some missions, try them out or feel free to create own missions for solo/coop game
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Don't drop the soap

Return to “General Discussion”