Geforce 8800GTS ... broken? - Page 2

Geforce 8800GTS ... broken?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Spawn_Retard

Re: Geforce 8800GTS ... broken?

Post by Spawn_Retard »

clericvash wrote:
Spawn_Retard wrote:Imo, downloading more RAM could fix it, if you have utorrent, i see downloading it from pirate bay is free, some sites ask you to pay though, so watch out.
Uh what? That makes no sense, you can't simply download RAM lol.

To the OP - Does it happen on other games?
Welcome to the internet.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'm on the internet?! Why didnt anybody say?!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

now im not sure is it my GFX card anymore, i started to get other type of pixel errors, these ones are straight lines of "broken" pixels from top to down, a line of dots actually... they seem to be "broken" because they fail lighting up some specific color component, so if i watch some bright color there, it looks blue under those "broken" pixels. Also the dot lines are semi-random, there is not perfect pattern in them, but there is some pattern... and bottom left corner dots are flickering randomly.

when i change resolution, the "broken" lines of pixels change place and density and pattern, at some resolution the lines are 100% of "broken" pixels.

also when i start the computer, the boot-up screen doesnt have such pixel errors, but it has some sort of memory errors, there are some letters in random places... i think my mobo is broken after all...

weird thing is that the WinXP loading screen doesnt have pixel errors, but when it loads WinXP on the login screen, those errors appears :/

nevertheless, now it doesnt crash/freeze from those pixel errors, as it did before. and they doesnt affect the program windows at all (doesnt make those weird rendering errors as before).
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Gfx memory corruption can give such results.

Try pluggin the card into another computer...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

letters in random places can also be a sign of graphic memory corruption.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

imbaczek wrote:letters in random places can also be a sign of graphic memory corruption.
really? i thought its about my mobo RAM, not GPU RAM, since that happened on the boot-up screen.. like, how the data can change because of broken GFX card... it doesnt make sense, like shouldnt the card only control the screen pixels? not handle data or anything...
zerver wrote:Gfx memory corruption can give such results.

Try pluggin the card into another computer...
i tested this card on another computer lately, and it was definitely broken, gave same kind graphical errors as i got, but it didnt crash on it actually, just messed the colors on the window...
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

TradeMark wrote:how the data can change because of broken GFX card... it doesnt make sense, like shouldnt the card only control the screen pixels? not handle data or anything...
It is much more complicated than that. The "DOS style" text mode is actually fully hardware accelerated...

Edit: IIRC, the first PCs only supported text graphics modes. They were way too slow to handle individual pixels anyway, so this design choice with accelerated text is not very strange. I believe the CPU uploads fonts+text to the graphics chip. This may also explain why chinese-language computer BIOSes are so rare :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”