Intel GMA X4500HD , anyone has this GFX card?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Im going to buy a laptop with this shitty GFX card, and i just want to know does it run current version of Spring at all? I found some topic where some guy had problems with this card 2 months ago (he couldnt play longer than 10mins...)

Ive watched some videos from youtube with this GFX card, and the games seemed to work fine, but... Spring is always Spring, and it has lots of problems as we know, so, if you have this card in some of your computers, could you try Spring on it?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Intel GMA X4500HD , anyone has this GFX card?

Post by hoijui »

i dont have it, dont know it, but i would asume spring to work on it under windows, and fail under linux.
but that is just a wild guess.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

it _should_ work on windows. no guarantees.
andre

Post by andre »

I've got a PC with this Card here and tried Spring once..
- if you are on linux your ground texture will always be white (seems to be a driver issue), you can play it with a low resulution (1024*768), without shadows (shadows on -> crash) and other detail/quality settings rather low. With BA on a smaller map and not that much units it runs quite smooth but if you play a bigger map (bigger than DSD) the FPS will drop extremely.
- with windows it is about the same except that you get a textured ground ;)

(This was tested with the Desktop version of the Card, so the notebook one should be even slower)
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Does Windows mean in this case Windows Vista? Thats what OS the laptop is going to have, though i could always install winXP on it too, but i wouldnt want to do that...
smoth

Post by smoth »

if you are buying one, any possibility that you would consider saving up a bit longer? a bit more money could secure a better video card and probably will have better stats.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I didnt really buy it for the gaming features, just needed some cheap laptop with a card that can handle Spring at least, but its not really so important, i probably wont be playing much on that laptop after all.

Money isnt a problem, just dont want to waste much on an item i wont be using longer than 1 month :P
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

I'm curious, would a netbook with either an ATI 780G or NVidia's Ion run Spring any better? Would the CPU/GPU tradeoff be worth it?
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

780 should work heaps better than intel integrated, but don't expect stellar performance.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Spring definitely runs fine on a 780G - only with lots of particles on screen it bows down very quickly...
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

ok the laptop is here now, and Spring runs on it with about 50fps

havent played longer game than 5mins though, actually havent played any game... just tested if it runs =D
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

oh btw... this is pretty good GFX card compared to the price, 30Ôé¼ or what it was... spring runs fine with this, tho, im already missing my geforce 8800GTS which had no lag at all...

Return to “General Discussion”