Need a *A Spring video showing great micro/macro

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

To have some supporting arguments for a discussion going on on YouTube about how some management help (like unlimited selection, build orders, etc...) doesn't prevent a game from being "just RTS to noobs without skills".
knorke

Re: Need a *A Spring video showing great micro/macro

Post by knorke »

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too, but sometimes you just can't resist... :-) (and it's a great excuse to tell people about Spring).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I'd tell him that it just mean you can control more units and faster, leading to more awesome battle: Instead of microing 2 tanks, you control 200 tanks, but still as precisely (in fact, more).
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Thanks, PROrANDY's videos were exactly what I needed. There's also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROpuB9KB ... re=related
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I doubt that anyone who doesnt already know spring will have a clue whats going on there :?
insaneinside

Post by insaneinside »

What is "*A Spring"? There's "*A", which would probably be games based on Total Annihilation, and then there's "Spring", the engine that many of those games happen to run on.

Have you ever heard of Doom 3 Tech 4? Quake Wars Tech 4? Left4Dead Source? Crysis cryEngine 2? C&C: Red Alert 3 SAGE? NO!

I dun git it. :roll:
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

failtroll is fail.

The guy wanted a *A mod video from Spring. It was never implied that Spring == TA. Nothing to see here, move along folks.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

insaneinside wrote:What is "*A Spring"? There's "*A", which would probably be games based on Total Annihilation, and then there's "Spring", the engine that many of those games happen to run on.

Have you ever heard of Doom 3 Tech 4? Quake Wars Tech 4? Left4Dead Source? Crysis cryEngine 2? C&C: Red Alert 3 SAGE? NO!

I dun git it. :roll:
i hate you with every fiber of my being
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

BlueTemplar wrote:about how some management help (like unlimited selection, build orders, etc...) doesn't prevent a game from being "just RTS to noobs without skills".
Meh, anyone who says that obviously has limited experience with spring. If anything spring requires more micro since terrain and real physics play such a heavy part. Compared to starcraft, where projectiles will always hit and the terrain is 2D with different levels. Unlimited selection should have no negative impact on the micro/skill level at all since it is optional.

That being said.. Watch out for those die hard starcraft players! And most any replay that involves randy or day will show that skill and micro ability indeed plays a major factor.
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

I play both games and micro in starcraft is more important, complex and faster than micro in ta by a alot.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

lolsquad: go play CA or Gundam
Lolsquad_Steven

Same thing.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Micro is crucial, and while comparatively limited in complexity, considerably more prevalent in Starcraft.
Lolsquad_Steven

Micro in starcraft in 10X more complex.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Lolsquad_Steven wrote:Micro in starcraft in 10X more complex.
I'd say complex in terms of the arbitrary stuff you have to know, like using the stop command with dragoons and stuff. Not really more complex in terms of what you do with units. Move injured units back, rinse repeat X 100. Because of the physics calculations spring has alot more things like dodging slow projectiles, using other units as cover, managing turn radius. Spring also has some nicer tools like automated putting of units in lines.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Lolsquad_Steven wrote:Micro in starcraft in 10X more complex.
Idiotic repetition and lack of variables does not complexity make. I do think there is still a hell of a lot more of it and it is much more important in Starcraft, particularly given the low skill level of the *A playbases.
Lolsquad_Steven

Someone said micro was more complex/fast/important in ta than starcraft, just letting you know you're wrong. Lets say mid game a zerg attacks my terran units, to be able to answer back i'd have to stim all my marines, kill as many lurkers as possible defend my science vessels, move my tanks back, seige them where lurkers can't get to them and then when the lurkers burrow move my marines back. To do this it could mean me pressing 1 then T 2 then T 3 then T 1 then A+click 2 then A+click 3 then A+click, 4 then click, 5 then click, 1, 2 or 3, click or a lurker, 4 then s or o, 1 click 2 click 3 click 1 then S 2 then S 3 then S. That's just doing something simple like that, if i want to put shields on units, comsat or do anything else it means more and it all happens in a few seconds.

In ta all you do is draw a line, physics don't make the gameplay in ta more complex at all.

Return to “General Discussion”