Spring TA vs SupComm - Page 2

Spring TA vs SupComm

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

adin_panther

Re: Spring TA vs SupComm

Post by adin_panther »

R-TEAM wrote:
Auswaschbar wrote:
R-TEAM wrote:[and SC is for "free" too - if you ready to play spring you know P2P .....
So the "free" point is useless]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom
Come one - you know what i mean - if you need SC you can get it for
nothing too - only download time.So the "Big" point -spring is free- dont
interesst any ... and dont come with law and bla-bla -> see TA content in spring.
Would you PLEASE consider that Spring being free means that the actual source code can be edited ? Honstly: Supcom will die because the company that maintains it will at some point lose it's interest in the project, while Spring will live on, cause everyone can work on the source and make it better. It hardly matter if something is legal or not, fact is that open source is superior to commercial software in this matter.
Gota

Post by Gota »

emmanuel wrote:
Gota wrote:You can get supcom for free but you cant play online..
not online or offline after trying the demo that i rated previously 110to15* lower than a 0£ online spring
is supcom featuring 16players in two team ???
thank god it doesn't,or it would turn into huge nooby porcfests like BA.
adin_panther

Post by adin_panther »

Gota wrote:
emmanuel wrote:
not online or offline after trying the demo that i rated previously 110to15* lower than a 0£ online spring
thank god it doesn't,or it would turn into huge nooby porcfests like BA.
Nooby porcfests in BA are only done by noobs. Please stop bashing BA. I like your mod and everything, but BA is a good mod. Saying that it sucks 100 times does not make it bad.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

emmanuel wrote:
no; supcom's max is 4v4 :(

also
Auswaschbar wrote: Spring runs on windows, linux and on mac OS X.
Please, elaborate on this issue (possibly via PM to avoid threadjacking :P )! I've been confused about it forever!
Spring has PlanetWars
just reposting that so that more people see it :P
Spring gets improved on a regular basis
Spring games also tend to improve on a regular basis, particularly a certain game, that updates multiple times every day... :mrgreen:

@Original poster:
I'd strongly recommend for you to try CA. It may not be as TA-ish as some of your favorites, but, well, you play NOTA, so it probably isnt that big of an issue with you :-) .

CA addresses many of your comments about spring games, such as lack of shiny new models and graphic effects. Not only that, widgets add entirely new functions to the game. All that built on top of a unique flat-balancing system that plays like no other. Pretty soon, CA will be receiving an entire GUI makeover, you may want to stick around for that, and when you play, be sure to check out the various mod options, AIs, and widgets that come with it (enable the bloomshader and/or nightshader widgets for lots of fun :wink: ).

you can learn how to get CA here

/helpful advertising
Last edited by MidKnight on 07 Mar 2009, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

i didn't say it sucked..i said it is mostly played on 8v8 porcfests cause of the high player limit.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Gota wrote:i didn't say it sucked..i said it is mostly played on 8v8 porcfests cause of the high player limit.
Next version, 0.79, will have 250 players/ 250 teams (and allyteams) maximum. You feel better now :?:
Also, unit limit got raised to 32000 btw
smoth

Post by smoth »

ha ha good show
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

125 VS 125 DSD GOGO.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

THIShugespace couldn't take a 125x125, much less dsd.

leave it to me to take the fun out of everything :P
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

250 FFA on tinyme ftw.
datomas

Post by datomas »

Well, is this epic game ever played? I don't think that it can be done...
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

Hi,
it hurts my eyes to see some fanboys speak... Its the people that dont understand why the ta fanboys say spring sucks.

I have played spring mods for 2 years and had a lot of fun with it.
Then I got into supcom beta and stayed there.

Some days ago I downloaded Spring to see what had changed and wanted to play it again.

After playing around with ba and ca I have come to the conclusion that it needs some more time to come close to what I have with Forged Alliance.

Pro FA:
-Forged Alliance runs a lot better than Spring on my pc.
-The UI in Forged Alliance is by far the best I have seen and the comfortable controls make it awesome to keep track of the battle.
-lots of people to play with
-competition
-you can play FA with people from all over the world because ping of 500 or less is fine.
-gpgnet is good, because there you have easy access to all the replays mods and maps.
-unit balance is nearly perfekt.
-4factions
-good graphics and it looks awesome in big battles.
-Fa + Supcom only costs 15euro.

Con FA:
-Balance issues with some units.
-Custom map quality sucks. Dont know what the mappers are doing there ;(
-thq stopped supporting it, they have a patch in QA for some month now...
-gpgnet is buggy
-you need a good pc

Pro Spring:
-lots of different well supported mods
-lots of updates and improvements to the game
-lots of maps and most of them have a high quality. In Fa you dont have such nice diversity in quality maps.
-auto download of maps and mods makes it very easy for new players

Con Spring:
-players are spread over several mods
-Strategic zoom is bugged (Water, map edge)when zoomed out and strategic icons are hard to use compared to supcom, well depends on the mod.
-graphics are outdated
-autohosts all over the place filling the serverlist(Dont like it ;p)
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

Auswaschbar wrote: Next version, 0.79, will have 250 players/ 250 teams (and allyteams) maximum. You feel better now :?:
Also, unit limit got raised to 32000 btw
need 50*50map relase maybee ? and more ram or gpu ???
porc fest is the spectator enjoyement ! :twisted:
aware than spring 79 ll the hugest multi ever (includ fps) ?
look gamespy :
yet the huge player count go to ...GTA3 with 87/200 in one game !

adin_panther wrote:[ Please stop bashing BA. I like your mod and everything, but BA is a good mod. Saying that it sucks 100 times does not make it bad.
why defend 100time ba if the lobby show 200/300player in ba ???

someone can estimat supcom map size in xxx*xxx spring size ?
Bhaal wrote: Pro FA:

Con FA:
(Dont like it ;p)
Con Spring:Spring+1Gb mod&map notonly costs 15euro.(=too more cheap soon !)
Last edited by emmanuel on 08 Mar 2009, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

lol at FA unit balance is near perfect...

Spring is less laggy than FA for online play in general

people who say spring runs shit on my pc usually dont bother tinkering the settings (most people can get high settings with playable fps if they knew what they were doing)

and graphics are outdated is a big lol. Ofc if you play BA which graphics look like shit cos it uses stuff made in 1997 it will look outdated. Graphics are up to the content developers, Spring can look better than FA without a problem.

also its better to have autohosts , than hosts quitting when they die and ruining etc..
emmanuel

Post by emmanuel »

Otherside *A lobbyst wrote:people who say spring runs shit on my pc usually dont bother tinkering the settings (most people can get high settings with playable fps if they knew what they were doing)
Spring can look better than FA without a problem.
i CAN be billionar ! its a fact !
my seting are lowerest to all and that lag more than supcom ...
its due to my nasty mind surely !
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

Otherside wrote:lol at FA unit balance is near perfect...

Spring is less laggy than FA for online play in general

people who say spring runs shit on my pc usually dont bother tinkering the settings (most people can get high settings with playable fps if they knew what they were doing)

and graphics are outdated is a big lol. Ofc if you play BA which graphics look like shit cos it uses stuff made in 1997 it will look outdated. Graphics are up to the content developers, Spring can look better than FA without a problem.

also its better to have autohosts , than hosts quitting when they die and ruining etc..
I am assuming that you have not been at a top rank in fa and so have no clue about what unit is balanced etc... and yes its mostly perfekt

Spring might be able to look better than FA in some years... But currently its not so its not a valid point.
The topic is FA vs Spring...

In Fa you dont have the host quitting problem... because there is no host but you have the problem that it needs more bandwidth and thats the reason for only having 4v4 games.
If you have someone with a slow connection it will lag if not it will run fine. You can always have this problem with all games.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

lol ive seen plenty enuff of "pro" 1v1 FA

spam tier 1 units/ spam factories/ spam tier 1 fighter for air cover

If aeon spam tier 1 tanks then move to tier 3 and go shielded kbot

if cybran spam tier 1 spider bot and maybe some phalanx at tier 2 if not make gunships

etc etc

Same 2-3 strats every game = mega boring
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Let's face it: SupCom offers four pretty much identical factions which only have REAL differences in their Experimentals. I like SupCom for its missions and the nice graphics - in terms of multiplayer I never touched it in a serious way. Not that it "sucks" as it's still better than 95% of the RTS AAA titles you get nowadays but especially what you get via the Spring Engine simply is better in terms of gameplay...

I think SupCom was a nice try on doing things in an "epic" scale and i.e. fighting on HUGE maps. The realization of the concept was nice but also boring as it's about pushing dozens and dozens of symbols over the map and nothing more. It also lacks real strategy imo and especially FA disappointed me. Instead of closing the extreme gaps in the tech tree (T3 mobile anti-air tank anyone?) and adding some nice stuff they just plugged in the Seraphim which suddenly became stupid cyber-apes instead of the green reptilian stuff or whatever the intro showed and just were the same goddamn standard units with a different look (yeah I know the factions aren't 100% identical and have slight tendencies to be better at certain stuff but in the end the differences are near to nonexistent). No cool underwater-stuff, no cool hovercrafts on a wider scale than like 1 unit per faction and no units that just fit because they make sense / were needed. Seriously besides the Seraphim half of the new units (which weren't numerous) aren't really needed or add anything to the game. Nothing when comparing it to the Core Contingency which added lots of depth to the game - they totally failed at this attempt with FA and just gave you the Seraphim, a T3 unit and building and just a bunch of stuff that's "nice" at its best but nothing you couldn't do without from now on...

I also don't want to start talking about the probably most stupid decision ever which would be a multiplayer system where everyone is the host (wow - you don't have any problems when the "host" drops anymore but everything else is fucked up big scale and playing more than 2v2 is impossible with a connection around 1Mbit and that even shortly after the game started) plus the lobby client based on the Internet Explorer with all the ActiveX and Javascript crap...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Bhaal wrote:Hi,
it hurts my eyes to see some fanboys speak... Its the people that dont understand why the ta fanboys say spring sucks.

I have played spring mods for 2 years and had a lot of fun with it.
Then I got into supcom beta and stayed there.

Some days ago I downloaded Spring to see what had changed and wanted to play it again.

After playing around with ba and ca I have come to the conclusion that it needs some more time to come close to what I have with Forged Alliance.

Pro FA:
-Forged Alliance runs a lot better than Spring on my pc.
-The UI in Forged Alliance is by far the best I have seen and the comfortable controls make it awesome to keep track of the battle.
-lots of people to play with
-competition
-you can play FA with people from all over the world because ping of 500 or less is fine.
-gpgnet is good, because there you have easy access to all the replays mods and maps.
-4factions
-good graphics and it looks awesome in big battles.

Con FA:
-Custom map quality sucks. Dont know what the mappers are doing there ;(
-thq stopped supporting it, they have a patch in QA for some month now...
-gpgnet is buggy
-you need a good pc

Pro Spring:
-lots of different well supported mods
-lots of updates and improvements to the game
-lots of maps and most of them have a high quality. In Fa you dont have such nice diversity in quality maps.
-auto download of maps and mods makes it very easy for new players

Con Spring:
-players are spread over several mods
-Strategic zoom is bugged (Water, map edge)when zoomed out and strategic icons are hard to use compared to supcom, well depends on the mod.
-graphics are outdated
-autohosts all over the place filling the serverlist(Dont like it ;p)
Play SA for the best balance.
SA also has a widget set that is locked so you dont have to worry about having to always keep up with any new widget,you dont have to worry about widgets at all.
I'm not gonna talk about GFX cause i don't care about it...I'm not a gfx whore and IMO anyone who is cant be too good at any rts game since you need time to be good and as time passes your rts's gfx start looking outdated..
Supcom lacks tons of strategic possibilities ota mods have and even OTA itself being 11 years old has more.
GPG support sux.
You can play with people around the world in spring as well.
If you enjoy playing rts games and your not some newbie when it comes to handeling a pc spring is fine for u and will provide much more strategic depth thna supcom.
Supcom does have 4 sides but all of them put together cannot match the diversity of play of the core and arm in SA(i wont mention other ota mods they can speak for themselves).
In short,if you care primarily about gameplay you should play spring if you care about slick gfx and a fluid lobby with everything working smoothly play supcom(i have ot say that GPG is hardly smooth and Supcom FA's UI is hardly awesome or polished).
Spring allows much more accurate control over units
and streamlines attempts at making it even better in a particular mod.
I dont understand your issues though since spring has a p2p downlaoder that auto downloads maps and widgets...
the only thing you need to do by yourself is decide what mod to play,I'm sure you can jump over that hurdle.

I will agree with you about having less players to play with especially when it comes to small games but its still here and getting a 3v3 or more is pretty easy.
IN supcom fa there are also times where you cant find a good game..
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote: Play SA for the best balance according to me. and no1 else in spring
fixed

Return to “General Discussion”