Tabula cut on a CNC mill - Page 7

Tabula cut on a CNC mill

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Tabula cut on a CNC mill

Post by CarRepairer »

So can we now finally say we're legit on Wikipedia because we now meet their minimum of two media sources for references to Spring?
kb18951452

Post by kb18951452 »

That is awesome.
Secondly,
I have plans to have "printed" toy models of some of the TA units (BA mod). I think my boy would enjoy having a box of units to pretend around with. Of couse, i don't know the cost yet, but i think i may run a few.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

That is one great article.

...something caught my eye, though. I'm not sure how I missed this before, but you made your own CNC machineÔÇ¢ That is freakin' awesome!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Friction and balsawood! There is no spring, never was, never will be. Move on, ignore the table which says otherwise.

Great work. And even greater because you geekglued your own cncmill.

Now that you famous, can i borrow some fame? I will hand it back some day, without stalkers and fanbois - i promise- ey, man, put that mouse away from the i-gnore button. Just because you are on wired, you think you can leave all the old teabeggars and down-to-turf-modders-mappers behind and have tea time with the upper-crust.

Man, for now you can, but remember, every tabletop-teaparty is over one day. The sugarcrane just one crater away.

Also do - not - i repeat, do not get the idea that your cnc-mill is a mex, and start to drill holes in your table. :D
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

This is FRIGGIN AWESOME !!! :shock:

Thanks Beherith for mailing me @ iXstudios! (probably did some googling to find me). Not often, but sometimes i get an e-mail from this great TASpring community and it brings back very good feelings!
So again, many thanks for that, again!

And also the fact that this map has made it's way into a WIRED.com
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/f ... materials/ article is simple amazing! Sometimes i still wonder why i had to leave this community, and did start with 'a real job' and running 'my own company'... with all the stress and sometimes boring tasks...

hunterw wrote:Image

Someone should probably notify the author of MoonQ20x about this!
smoth

Post by smoth »

nice to see you are still alive out there ice.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

I (and I assume KB) would be happy to mentor anyone else interested in building their own CNC rig. I think you can pull it off in the 4x4 or 4x8 size for between $1500-2000 depending on parts.
CarRepairer wrote:So can we now finally say we're legit on Wikipedia because we now meet their minimum of two media sources for references to Spring?
Wikipedia, the "encyclopedia of the future", requires two DEAD TREE print references for a game to be notable? Hilarious.
kb18951452

Post by kb18951452 »

el_matarife wrote:I (and I assume KB) would be happy to mentor anyone else interested in building their own CNC rig. I think you can pull it off in the 4x4 or 4x8 size for between $1500-2000 depending on parts.

Of couse, If your going to spend that kind of money, You better make something with it worth showing for it (El_Mat...) :)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

post stats / parts list / pics of your CNC machine!

i've considered making one; not even so much for hobby stuff but for work

quantum is making one; having a bit of a tricky time of it if his last comments on the matter are anything to go by (few weeks ago)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

4x4? 8x8? Is it possible/useful/easier/cheaper to make something smaller?

My main use for a CNC would probably be figurines and things like headphone earcups. nothing bigger than 2 feet across.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

kaiser: I think you meant me, not quantum, mine is much smaller ( with higher resolution than his judging from the maps output )
pic of the partially assembled machine (costed me ~200Ôé¼, xy axis have ~650 nm resolution, z axis ~1.2um, xy ranges are 17cm, z range is 4 cm ):
Attachments
IMG_20110407_190841.jpg
(524.16 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

whoops :oops: defenitely was you BD

nice clean design on your mill
kb18951452

Post by kb18951452 »

My resolution is better than .001".

But when you carving soemthing thats 2x3, you don't need (nor want" to have ti taked 4 days to carve that much detail. Even i carve by 4x by 4x maps, the reolution used will be even lower, so it won't take forever.

And,
Concerning machine size. Smaller means more detail, typically cheaper, and typically slower (but you don't need fast for small parts).

There is some threshold. Meaning, You need like $500 to build a decent machine up to say 3x3 (roughtly), with som limitations, wont be terribly fast, and might not be the most accurate ting ever), but then there is this jump, when you replace a few component from component that can handle the other electronics for a machine up to 3x3, the next component can handle the toher electronics needed for up to a 12 x 12. When you make the jump into that range, the price changes very little, between a 4x4 and a 12 x 12.

So, depending on what your wanting to do.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

kb18951452 wrote:Of couse, If your going to spend that kind of money, You better make something with it worth showing for it (El_Mat...) :)
Haha yeah we've been lazy bastards. Don't worry, we bought Aspire on Thursday, now I'm putting together a big ass order Precise Bits and Attitude Carbide. I just need to find some good thick pieces of MDF and I'll carve my own map table to show off. (And I'm going to do The Last Supper in mahogany or something else really nice.)
KaiserJ wrote:post stats / parts list / pics of your CNC machine!

i've considered making one; not even so much for hobby stuff but for work
We can't post part lists because the guy who designed and sold us the blueprints is worried that someone will just reverse engineer his design. We both built variants of Joes 4x4 Hybrid (So named because it uses wood and plastics). There's a lot of videos of them in action on eBay and there's some good details on his site joescnc.com. You can see a lot of pictures and details of the assembly of my rig on lascolinascnc.com which might give you a pretty good idea of the tools and skills you need.
kb18951452 wrote:My resolution is better than .001".
Accuracy is kind of a hard thing to gauge because there's so many factors that feed into it. If you're got a 1 turn per inch leadscrew, with a 200 step per rotation motor, with a driver capable of 10 microsteps, you've technically got a 0.0005 inch or 12.7 micrometer resolution. However, there's all kinds of other factors that then play into that. If you're using leadscrews, you might have way more than that in "slip" per foot as the gears move. You might have backlash issues where the tool slightly "bounces" as it contacts the cutting surface. Vibration and calibration both play a part too. There's something called "runout" which measures the length a tool vibrates at the tip while spinning too. And even the design software can play a part, I believe that the Vectric packages have an output resolution of .005 by default. Past a certain point, X Y precision isn't really all that important, but Z depth definitely can be.
kb18951452

Post by kb18951452 »

And the truth of the matter is,

There is one part that we CAN give you a part list on, (The electronics), because thats the only part that matters.

As far as the rest of the "Machine", You just need a 'Thing' that will allow 3 axis of movement (X,Y, Z), and a way to make the movement work with spinning of some fashion.

For instance, A very simply 1 AXIS motion controller exists in your CD Rom. The read head is fastened to a platform that slides only back and forth. A little electric motor spins a bolt, and the platform acts like the nut. since the nut can't rotate, but the bolt does, the result is, either the bolt must move, ro the platform does. In this case, the platform moves, thus repositioning the lens for the CD ROM.

If, instead of a lense, you fastened another oen of these assembly, you could have motion in 2 axis (left right, which had a lens assemply capable of moving front/back).

Thats all these machines are. We use motors, to turn a screw, which moves a nut along an axis, But the nut is attached to a much larger section of the machine, so an entire part of the machine moves.

From a Makerbot, to a Candyfab 3000 to a Mechmate, The principle is the same. You use the same set of electronics, to get 3 axis of movement. Big or small.

BTW, Our machines are massive. Joes sells his plans for $100 USD, (Which also gets you access to the user forum, which in my opinion is worth more than the plans:(, and Joe designed several earlier, smaller machines, plans of which are free. His last free design is called the Joecnc 2006 r-2 And can be found at cnczone.com, just google - "2006 r-s" site:cnczone.com - The electronics needed to run this machine can later be used to run a larget machine.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

kb18951452 wrote:And the truth of the matter is,
There is one part that we CAN give you a part list on, (The electronics), because thats the only part that matters.
Honestly, if I had to do it over again I'd just buy my controller rig from Bob Campbell of Campbell designs. It's really not worth it to hunt for parts and figure out all this electronics stuff. We started with basic electronics skill and could more or less read a circuit diagram but it took us forever and was kind of a huge pain. If you're not in North America, you probably don't have that option and may have to DIY it.
kb18951452 wrote:BTW, Our machines are massive. Joes sells his plans for $100 USD, (Which also gets you access to the user forum, which in my opinion is worth more than the plans:(, and Joe designed several earlier, smaller machines, plans of which are free. His last free design is called the Joecnc 2006 r-2 And can be found at cnczone.com, just google - "2006 r-s" site:cnczone.com
The 2006 designs aren't just free, I believe he put them under some sort of open source license but it may not be that formal. We're both biased in favor of Joes, and they're definitely considered one of the best out there but they're definitely not the only option. There's a lot of them, especially in all sorts of size variations. And there's plenty of open source / community options too. I actually know a guy or two who just decided to design and build their own once they had the principles down.
kb18951452

Post by kb18951452 »

Ditto to all El said.

I know a few who designed and built their own.

The electronics are a pain, and in my opinion, there is a good reason to help each other along. I think El will agree with me on this one, The sad part about the electronics is its hard, and you only need to know how to do it long enough to make the controller, Which, fi you had all the parts infront of you, takes about an hour to do it, and about 5 hours to make it pretty. But once its done, you can take the past several weeks of your memmory, and toss it in the trash, because unless you plan on building another machine, or helping a friend build one, you never need to know how to do it again.

So, I think i speak for El and myself. Contact either of us if you need held NOT struggling with the electronics.
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

smoth wrote:nice to see you are still alive out there ice.
Alive and Kick'n !
And you are still here!!
Haa very nice to see people stay true to their communities!
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

If I was going to cut one of your maps, what would you suggest?

Return to “General Discussion”