Getting more gamers!; A thread to try find a way.(Promotion)

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

The reason i made this thread is to find out if more can be done to get more gamers. I am sorry if i seem under-informed about what you already have said on this forum.

Due to awesomeness, I think spring should create a 'promotion' document, maybe a wiki that lists ways how we can promote spring and when is a good time and make it more accessible. More players means easier to start a game, and easier to have other mods/games with more players as well.

Accessibility mostly means ease of finding the base download, ease of installation(fairly good, people still stumble sometimes?), ease of getting mods/games and maps and ease of learning the gameplay.(Depends on game, could be a lot better as far as i have seen.) Documentation can help, barely, users might just read a single page.

Of course, people should also be able to host(and that it works very easily), and the autohosts should work. (Maybe, or, if small autohosts can be used.) If we decide to promote, we need to make sure it doesn't co-incide with updates of the engine with possible bugs following it.(Or we could do the thing with the allowing of multiple executables playable from the lobby.)

Niceness of the websites i think the website of the spring engine is really good. However those of some the games themselves could be a lot better. The list of games could use icons/small screenshots? Maybe the order should change, i guess the makers deserve their games high up, maybe CA deserves to be higher up too. (And is it really still a mod?)

Before starting a promotion campaign, it is probably a good idea to update screenshots, and some of the promotion on youtube.(Many of which are very nice, can be linked to as well.) Also, it might be a good idea to replace the links from the games tab go directly to a good page instead of an (ok) intermediate one. Either that, or the pages themselves should be more elaborate. The CA website and how it is linked to from spring.clan-sy could certainly use improvement. The link from the games tab to XTA, starts with 'history', bad omen :P, on the plus side, it does have some screenshots.

The games themselves one thing to ask is, are the games ready? I think graphically, XTA and CA are ready. With the downloader, the fact that things are under development a lot does not necessarily constitute a problem. Are they learned easily enough? Maybe there should be mods/games tabs, with the games' tutorial and campaign.(As has been in mockups, and discussions, i guess.) Especially CA seems to me to be rather noob-unfriendly, with its gameplay. But also due to its smaller amount of moderately skilled players, and larger amount of fairly good players.(Although a large influx of players could fix that.)

How to promote one idea is reddit and digg, we could submit there (Wait for an oppertune time! Websites could still be a lot better.) i am willing to vote for the purpose once(contact me for it when needed), once is 'fair enough' more is gaming the system. Make sure we put good titles on them, and link to a good place on the website.

An other idea is to google bomb. Searching for spring engine gets you the right place. Maybe try getting spring on the list for other keywords too, like strategy or rts. Not sure if it is nice, though. Banners for websites, etc.

When to promote at a good time, of course. :P

What to promote which mod which game? A possibly contentious point.. Just promoting the engine might confuse the people coming, or diffuse them onto different mods/games and find that they don't find any games, draining their games. BA is currently most popular, and people will definitely find games, but it is also least good graphically.(And do we want to leave the older cpus behind?) I think we should not discuss what to promote at this point, because it might dominate the discussion.

Maybe we should get a list of reddit users to send a message to promote when the time comes.

So lets discuss the promotion document and what should be in it.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Getting more gamers!; A thread to try find a way.(Promotion)

Post by Nemo »

Spring: 1944 is ready. Spring is more than *A.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yes, the *As do need better websites, sure. With all do respect, you do know spring has more than *A right? I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that the games of spring by and large do have webpages and promotional material.. Pure needs a website(LOOKING AT YOu ARGH) but yeah man, imagine me laughing while saying all this, we definitely have promotional material down. Also I would be a total jerk if I did not tell you that over the years this has been discussed many times. We even have our own promotional videos.

Come on man xta and ca are these soul subject of your discussion.
Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

Yes i do know. I don't really want to discuss the games/mods here, i just mentioned them because i play them.

Edit: i think some of the non-*A websites can be improved too, try to get first comers into display pages. And spring1944 does not have a clearly visible about page.(Although it does have a mission statement.) Gundam rts has a link on top: "Click here to go to the Gundam Annihilation website." a little distracting? Both are pretty good for the rest, though.
Last edited by Jasper1984 on 12 Feb 2009, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

so then you know that many of us have taken the initiative of doing our own promotional work.

for christs sake, I have a whole subforum on my site for spring related promotion.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Whenever someone posts *A in a derogatory way I've started replacing it with a swear word in my mind.

Don't worry everybody, we'll all have more attention then we can handle the moment IW is released.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Pure needs a website(LOOKING AT YOu ARGH)
Meh, it has a website. Two of them, if you count ModDB, where I've been in the top 30 or so for several months in a row.

And if you count what I'll be doing with the new SpringInfo / Lobby integration, when it's time... well, I certainly have some good options... finally.

And, last but certainly not least... now that my last major gripe with Spring's promotional toolset is at least an under-consideration thing again (i.e., front-page support for major releases) I may even decide that the boycott can end, and have a presence there, when RC4's available. After all, it would be pretty pointless to miss out on audience share due to sheer pettiness.

I don't have a Forum for my game, that's pretty much all that's really missing, and I don't have a Forum for it because I don't really think it's ready-enough to deserve much discussion atm, other than progress reports and the thread here. I guess the website could be nicer, but meh, that requires time that I don't have until the game is pretty much done.

At any rate... I have a plan and priorities. Making the current website a lot spiffier is very low on my priorities, making the game worth talking about in the first place is a lot higher, and that's how it should be, imo.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I was wondering if you got around to it.

so yeah, all the major current game projects have sites. Some other projects have not gotten to it.
Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

(Note i had an edit on earlier post)I know that mods/games can promote themselves, but we can also promote spring as a whole. And why not a document to collect ideas and when how to time promotion? More players is good for all the mods/games.

@argh: two little things: is the link from here to the right place? The first link you gave seems nicer to me. About the site itself, a user might get confused with the links on the right and those of PURE above. (Those on the right are really eye catching, way more then the ones above center.)
Argh

Post by Argh »

is the link from here to the right place?
For now, yes, I would consider that the "right place".
About the site itself, a user might get confused with the links on the right and those of PURE above. (Those on the right are really eye catching, way more then the ones above center.)
What links on the right? I mean... show me a screenshot of what you're actually seeing... I only have buttons on the left, a topbar, and the central picture... which is a link. I guess I could make a "click here to learn more" for that, to make it a little more obvious it's a link... or something.
Jasper1984

Post by Jasper1984 »

Yes, oops they're on the left -_- this is what i see. (Ok, maybe it is not that bad.. Took a second to register as buttons for me.)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Added the topbar to that initial area. Kinda fugly design-wise, but a lot more obvious.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

http://spring1944.com/s44/contact.php

I don't mean to get annoyed, but you obviously didn't look very hard before discounting S44 because "we lacked an about page"

Where is XTA's page? CA's page is devoted to techinical and dev style stuff. Are you really telling us that a trac wiki is a better marketing page than something like we or IW have?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Are you really telling us that a trac wiki is a better marketing page than something like we or IW have?
LOL, I would certainly think not, except among the "uber nerd" segment of the gamer population.

I think CA needs a decent frontend, but it's probably not worth it until their content settles down, imo.

But yeah, your link off of "games" here takes people to the right spot, and looks great, imo.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Sorry Argh, that was directed at Jasper.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Meh. I think what's interesting is that Jasper obviously didn't even know about the "games" stuff per se, it's not like checking that link took me more than 5 seconds.

Instead of assuming he's a well-meaning idiot... well, maybe it's deeper than that. Maybe that's not working for people at all? Or just the first time, and then they never check it out, ever again?

Reminds me why I wanted to make the front page the center of people's attention in the first place, tbh ;)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am assuming he is a well meaning person who didn't do his homework.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

The games page of the Spring website needs serious improvement, particularly with regards to images.

I am aware that many of the games featured on the page have readily available screenshots, either in the Spring website's media section or on that particular games' website, but at the moment I cannot link them or upload them.
Could someone please help me by either:
A) giving me upload rights on the wiki so that I can get some images up for linking on the games page, or:
B) show, and if necessary give me the correct permissions so I can use the media section of the site for picture links.

I am willing to maintain the games page when I have time, but at the moment I am limited to changing the text entries for the games. This needs a high priority if we are to ever start an advertising campaign/push for the engine in general.
smoth

Post by smoth »

there is a place on the forum for image submission. bottom of the forum, be sure to read the rules.

to edit the wiki you merely need to register on it.

Return to “General Discussion”