menu system

menu system

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

fraghawk

menu system

Post by fraghawk »

We need some sort of fullsceen menu like starcraft's of something more accessable insted of the windowed tas client
Gota

Re: menu system

Post by Gota »

why?
Like this its more convenient since its easier to do stuff in parallel to waiting in a room for a game to start.
Its does not give an atmosphere of a game but it just needs skins(does it support extensive skinning?)
smoth

Post by smoth »

because spring.exe doesn't require a server to connect to. Because this is an engine etc. I would like an option to play without being in a lobby at all. It would be nice to have the games work more traditionally.

Fraghawk, the only way to do in game menus is via lua. Unfortunately we cannot make the starting menus in lua for spring.exe. So you are stuck with the hard coded stuff. As far as Gota(aka Yan) just add him to your ignore list and your stay here will be nicer.
Gota

Post by Gota »

fraghawk wrote:We need some sort of fullsceen menu like starcraft's of something more accessable INSTEAD of the windowed tas client
I'm not saying its a bad idea..
It would be great to have this option but not INSTEAD of what we have now.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Why are you condenming Gota? Besides of his annoying BA balance thingo and comparing Supreme Commander with Spring he has done nothing wrong.

I like this idea though.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

He actually uploaded his mod as "BA 6.7", so he's not completely harmless.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

+1, this is really important. Usability is the #1 problem of spring IMO.
This would also open up the way to use the engine for small single player games, a more general game engine.
Gota

Post by Gota »

panzeriv2 wrote:Why are you condenming Gota? Besides of his annoying BA balance thingo and comparing Supreme Commander with Spring he has done nothing wrong.

I like this idea though.
go read my balance comments on the BA thread than read the latest BA balance changes...

Comparing SupCom with Spring?
Why is that bad and when have I done this?
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

When I said Gota on BA balance thingo I also meant all the crimes including BA 6.7 (nice try though)

okay, maybe not exactly comparing supcom with Spring (or maybe wrong person?)

Back on topic:
We really need this. So a menu would include like: Games, Options, Multiplayer and...wait. How about we force all the mods to include their own installer with a front-end application? (ie Pxtl's) The Spring engine would only install the CORE application (no downloading things, no lobbies, just the CORE engine). The games installer would include the game (ofc), multiplayer lobby, the spring engine (ofc) and the multiplayer lobby.

just my 2 cents
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Graphical, sure, accesible, fine, allowing singleplayer etc, great!

Fullscreen? HELL. NO. Occupying all your screen real-estate when you're just waiting around for a game or browsing the menus is the stupidest thing ever.

Check out PURE though, it has a graphical frontend for singleplayer, multieplayer, etc.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Spring is too hardcoded for ta atm, all things like this a modmaker might want to change should be changeable.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

like that ? Image or that ?Image
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

That only works if a user has IE installed on his/her computer, it should work for everyone, that includes linux users.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

A menu with a motion background like just flying over maps would be so awesome :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

There is no reason why this cant be done without modifying the engine, satiriks post and SpringSP prove that on their own.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Can't the multiplayer lobby have a skin similar to those menu screens?
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

JAZCASH wrote:A menu with a motion background like just flying over maps would be so awesome :P
i guess you can include a flash video in background in IE ... but you'd need to either check if the flashplugin is installed and if not show just a picture or install it
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Satirik wrote:like that ? Image
Is that a snow widget on the screenshot? If so, can i has it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Saktoth wrote:Fullscreen? HELL. NO. Occupying all your screen real-estate when you're just waiting around for a game or browsing the menus is the stupidest thing ever.
Not really. I would like to have menus in spring.exe gundam will always have a smaller playerbase and I think that allowing for a good single player that only requires launching spring.exe is good. Menus in spring.exe allow me to increase immersion. To me a game is about being in another world. If they are running some windowed app for single player menus like the system that pure is using it would not feel right. Maybe I am wording this post wrong or maybe you just won't get it but I feel that in game menus are part of immersion and are part of a good single player experience
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

Beherith wrote:
Satirik wrote:like that ? Image
Is that a snow widget on the screenshot? If so, can i has it?
http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=999

Return to “General Discussion”