As a noob

As a noob

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Ska

As a noob

Post by Ska »

Hi all,

You have done so many mods about TA than I don't knowh which one take :lol:

So what's the most on-line "OTA-like" game played ? Complete A; Balance A; Suprem A; Maximum A ?????? :p

Thx about all the work done of every teams to give us those platform/games !
Pressure Line

Re: As a noob

Post by Pressure Line »

most played online is Balanced Annihilation.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

The best mod is XTA
The most popular mod is BA
The stupidest mod with the best luas is CA
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Tribulex: Stop spreading the false propaganda.

The most played mod is Balanced A, as Pressure Line said.
Contrary to what Tribulex said, XTA is obviously not the best mod.
Complete A is the 2nd most played mod, (though becuz there are alot of CA autohosts) and certainly not stupid.

So play Balanced Annihilation and Complete Annihilation. XTA games are next to nothing. Be warned, however, of Complete Annihilation's file size.
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

Ska wrote: So what's the most on-line "OTA-like" game played ? Complete A; Balance A; Suprem A; Maximum A ?????? :p
Basically OTA is the closest thing to OTA for spring that works
info here

Edit:

Ok, I fail. This might help more;
http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Mods
http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Games
Read through those and see what sounds best.
Last edited by TheBigPK on 17 Dec 2008, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

There is no mod that is close to OTA in gameplay at all.
The closest mods on the spring engine can get to OTA is using its models,thats about it.
The closest is Hardcore Annihilation not BOTA.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

panzeriv2 wrote: XTA games are next to nothing.
blasphemy !!! XTA FOREVER !!!

@Ska
There is no such thing as "the best" mod since this kind of opinion is based only on personal taste. For me XTA is the best mod, for panzeriv2 it's obviosly not. If youre looking for the most played mod then its BA. Just try out as many as you can and see which one you like the most, thats the way to go imo. Every mod has something other mods dont have, look for the one which has the things youre looking for.
gl & hf
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Hardcore A is the closest to OTA but noone plays it because really, OTA was good because of its engine and features, not because of its balancing.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Imo these may be reasons for a noob to choose the above mentioned mods:

BA

+: most played; easiest to get a game (this is fairly important in a max. 250 player environment); is kind of like OTA (different balance and stuff, but similar flavour)
-: Ugly; players (in average) are least helpful in spring community; is fairly easy to make major gameplay mistakes

CA

+: Second most played; helpful player base (though planetwars may have changed that a bit); planetwars is cool; is easier to get by without making hueg mistakes ingame; good looking
-: Is least like OTA; Some ppl may complain about gameplay; annoying fans

XTA

+: Good looking; IMO friendliest playerbase; similar to OTA; gameplay is slower than above 2 mods (this may be better for noobs);
-: Small but active group of players, so 1 game is usually up but 2 would be rare; Unit micro intensive; gameplay is slower than above 2 mods (this may be better for noobs); XTA players are like sage old turtles, their patience is legend, so games may take a while to start.

Any mod other than these: never gets played

a bit of advice for all these mods : start small, join a smaller game (3v3 max) with low ranking players and ask for help. Or ask for some help in #main. If you get beaten, watch the replay (maybe at high speed) and look at what your enemy is doing. Try to emulate that next game. Try to avoid making mistakes you see in your own play. Try to play with an aggressive spirit, this game is about controlling land and conquest, not about sitting in your base.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Bana deserves a medal for a genuinely balanced and helpful response to a newbie help request.

I would really recommend you look into the non-TA content on the engine, such as Kernel Panic, Expand and Exterminate and any one of KDr's fantastic works (fibre is my favourite). SWIW, S44, and GundamRTS kick ass, but are also all in closed beta.

It's worth checking out NOTA if you are looking for a more strategic, macro-focused take on the TA idea, although if microing a 4 flash rush is more your style, you may find it a little too "big" and slow paced.

Also check out the "defence" mods such as CA/BA chicken defence, NOTA Space Bugs or XTA SIEGE OF THE HIGHER ORDER for some silly over the top co-op attepts to survive vs hordes of AI controlled beasties.
smoth

Post by smoth »

pintle wrote: I would really recommend you look into the non-TA content on the engine, such as Kernel Panic, Expand and Exterminate and any one of KDr's fantastic works (fibre is my favourite). SWIW, S44, and GundamRTS kick ass, but are also all in closed beta.
Gundam has a public version out, it is just over a year old, still looks better than ta crap. This is a thread about Ta based mods though.

Pretty much BA is going to be the most common bana's post when applied to the context of only TA mods is true. However, I will say a con to CA(as much as I love it) is that there is little in the way to explain all the new shit like mex overdrive. If you are coming from playing TA that may be a bit confusing.

Also, new guy, watch some replays, they will help you see how the *A mod you are watching plays out. Each one has it's own balance and they have had years to take very divergent paths.

it doesn't hurt to just jump in and play around or start a game saying you are a noob who wants to learn but the replays show a lot if no one is willing to teach you. Good luck kiddo.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Best advice:play Starcraft for your rts needs.
Its close to free and is getting a major update soon.
Also sports,arguable,the best balance of any rts game,ever.
Molded by 10 years of constant playing and refining.
And you can be sure it will be supported for another 10 years unless blizzard goes under.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Stupid posts are stupid posts.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Gota wrote:Best advice:play Starcraft for your rts needs.
And you can be sure it will be supported for another 10 years unless blizzard goes under.
I like answering questions that were not asked too! Or maby not...
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Gota wrote:Best advice:play Starcraft for your rts needs.
Why are you even here?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

he trollin', we hatin'...

no idea really. but afaik every board has one.
PhailQuail

Post by PhailQuail »

If you have played TA (old game from the 90s) before, give BA a shot, if you haven't, play CA.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

panzeriv2 wrote:Tribulex: Stop spreading the false propaganda.

The most played mod is Balanced A, as Pressure Line said.
Contrary to what Tribulex said, XTA is obviously not the best mod.
Complete A is the 2nd most played mod, (though becuz there are alot of CA autohosts) and certainly not stupid.

So play Balanced Annihilation and Complete Annihilation. XTA games are next to nothing. Be warned, however, of Complete Annihilation's file size.
What a load of bullcrap.

Let me rephrase:

BA is the mod that everyone plays. Peer pressure. Its kind of fun because certain things like comnaps and flash spam are particularly exploitable.

CA is the mod that is like batfuck insane. Expect random krogoths and t2 stuff mixed in with your t1 rush, as well as cloacking and stealth shields, lots of shiny lua, jumping stuff, climbing stuff, and an incredible disarray of inconsistent artwork. Its pretty fun every once in a while, but i never found the gameplay to make sense.

XTA is the uberincredibleawesome mod with the best looks, gameplay, and features. Commanders, which are of course the most awesome ota unit, are actually REALLY useful in this mod. You can fly around in a 3d space simulation with your com shooting dguns and paralyzer beams and orbital space missiles. Its like being Jesus, only 30000 years later. Not only that, but all attempts at failure are eliminated. There are no shields, and vlrpcs are incredibly awesome, and actually are very long range, and actually fire rapidly. Storms are the way storms should be, as are all the other units (like the way they should be respectively). Hmmm, oh yes, there is actual faction differentiation in gameplay, and core are the same old big motherfuckers. But its okay arm gets paralyzers and shit.

Yeah, well as you can see, XTA is obviously the best mod ever. This is 100% perfect undeniable proof.

Also lolimod, this, fibre, whatever that mod was called where you combined things, and all the other mods with KDR's name on them rock. But they kind of stray from the OTA style a bit.

Oh yeah, i forgot nota, dont even bother everything is borked. AA doesnt work properly and there arent any coms until way too late in the game.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Tribulex wrote:Bullshit...
I am REVENGE and I approve this message.

Now, if you're new to Spring, it might be worth it to play a few XTA games to start. As previously mentioned, its slower gameplay gives you time to familiarize yourself with the general workings of the Spring engine and interface. Once you feel like you've got it down, branch out into BA and CA (I recommend you try both). CA is rapidly deviating away from traditional TA style gameplay, while BA can be considered its latest evolution.

Anyways, regardless of which mod(s) you choose, keep in mind that the Spring engine supports a plethora of non-TA-like mods as well. Have fun and don't take everyone completely seriously!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Gameplay wise, BA is the most solid mod in spring right now, not counting old SJ versions of XTA that can no longer be found, let alone played on.

Return to “General Discussion”