Planetwars - Page 4

Planetwars

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Otherside

Re: Planetwars

Post by Otherside »

also casualty report so you can see how many of each unit has died :P over the whole conflict
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

CarRepairer wrote:
Pendrokar wrote:You inspired me to make a video about Planetwars+CA. :roll:

This time music will be something you 99.9% haven't heard. Because it is latvian and mostly used in latvian documentation TV shows.
Artist - Album - Song |in english|
Kop├äÔÇ£ja Izteiksme |Same expression|- Putni Maina Virzienu |Birds change direction|- Krusta Ce├ä┬╝├à┬í |Cross road/Crossroad|
ZZZZZZZZZ boring. I heard these songs a million times. I heard that one on the way to work this morning. Use something original for once!
What do you really mean by original? Something that is used loads of times in videos(Lux Aeterna(and orchestric version)/Linkin Park songs)? I take something that fits. Mostly songs without singers.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Pendrokar wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:
Pendrokar wrote:You inspired me to make a video about Planetwars+CA. :roll:

This time music will be something you 99.9% haven't heard. Because it is latvian and mostly used in latvian documentation TV shows.
Artist - Album - Song |in english|
Kop├äÔÇ£ja Izteiksme |Same expression|- Putni Maina Virzienu |Birds change direction|- Krusta Ce├ä┬╝├à┬í |Cross road/Crossroad|
ZZZZZZZZZ boring. I heard these songs a million times. I heard that one on the way to work this morning. Use something original for once!
What do you really mean by original? Something that is used loads of times in videos(Lux Aeterna(and orchestric version)/Linkin Park songs)? I take something that fits. Mostly songs without singers.

those was jokes.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

ouch just found this thread and the Chicken drama involved.

I hate the attitude that "oh someone just ported chicken to BA and it became popular because of BA", the mod 'BA with CA Chickens 1.05' was active for a long time before I started working on BA Chicken Defense and was almost never played.

The difference between my work is that I actually put many days of effort into the mod and have changed and added many features and units - frankly whether BA Chicken Defense 1.51 was in CA or BA it would be a vast improvement over CA's existing Chicken Defense in terms of playability, balance and enjoyment and this is why it's played more.

I don't appreciate having my effort belittled by people who aren't willing to sit down and put in the work to make their game mode appealing to players.

The CA team released chicken defense as something that was 'just acceptable' then declared that no more work was to be done on it - as it was open source it was just begging to be jumped on and improved, and I would have no problem with CA taking any of my work back however I'm guessing their ego's would prevent this...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

and your forgetting the reason why the CA team stopped working on it..

Cos it got ported to BA.

So stop talking about this bullcrap about you makign a uber playable version when the same could have been done just the devs didnt want to put the effort for it to get ported to BA again

Thankfully this wont be the case with planetwars .So the dev's will have motivation to work on planetwars and not fear it getting ported and putting them off completing it
Gota

Post by Gota »

They'll work on it till they are bored of it.
If by that time it is released for all to use it will be taken and ported to BA with some enthusiast supporting it...
I didnt see anyone porting or changing BA to add the overdrive system or the central economy building system.
If anyone besides the Devs of liked the overdrive system he could have easily added it to BA and made a modification or a mutator.
And now is a time when people are more supportive of different modes appearing than at any time before,IMO.
CA's gameplay,balance and rhythm are all flawed IMO.If thedevs make an effort tocorect them it will become popular.
1)remove overdrive system(just remove the ability to convert energy into metal all together thus no complicated unintuitive system is needed and you get an even simpler economy).
2)Slow down average unit movement speed and lower the dps/hp ratio.
Why?the faster unit movement is and the lower dps/hitpoints ratio is the more susceptible it is to lag and clunky pathfinding.
Pathfinding,high pings and ping spikes are punishing enough already.
IMO the only mod that doesn't suffer from this,if we leave economy management out,is XTA.
Address these issues or the only things that will be imitated are peripherals like the chickens addon,Planetwars etc..
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

TheFatController wrote: I would have no problem with CA taking any of my work back however I'm guessing their ego's would prevent this...
Otherside wrote:and your forgetting the reason why the CA team stopped working on it..

Cos it got ported to BA.

So stop talking about this bullcrap about you makign a uber playable version when the same could have been done just the devs didnt want to put the effort for it to get ported to BA again
Fats has spent an enormous amount of time adding new units, features, and options to BA Chicken. I don't see why the CA devs can't collaborate with Fats to make sure that CA Chicken is developed alongside his BA fork. I'm sure there's going to be some balance differences between the two versions since CA and BA have some serious differences especially at T1, but there's no reason for CA start from scratch.

As far as Otherside's allegation about CA Chicken: If the CA devs essentially "took their ball and went home" because some new competition showed up they're acting like children. When someone forks your project the response should be "Okay it's on now, we will bury you by making our version way better" not "Oh well you clearly don't appreciate all my work so I quit".
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Firstly Basic you just proved your a massive idiot (for the millionth time)

Planetwars + Chicken dont change the core gameplay mechanics of the game overdrive etc are things which change the game directly that a game which does not want to change would not port. So BA woudlnt take some of the other stuff CA worked on because they are gameplay changes(Jumpjets/units on fire etc etc). BA ports the majority of the widgets because they dont affect the game but just enchance features that are already there.

And really basic this isnt a thread about CA itself so why the hell are you commenting about that. It shows how much you play CA with your comments and all youve said = Turn CA into SA if you see SA's market share i say no thanks why would the dev's ruin a perfectly fine game

Planetwars on the other hand is to help promote a mod and having a online campaign based around the mod without having to change the mod itself.

And matarife i dont think you are in the position to talk because you havent had hours of your work being taken and ported to some other mod just because the spring community in general seems to have a problem with playing more than 1 mod.

Shit shoudnt have to be ported people should l2p more mods

I know XTA players who never particularly liked CA make the effort to play CA because they enjoy planetwars. I dont see why they who shalt not be named cant do the same
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:Firstly Basic you just proved your a massive idiot (for the millionth time)

Planetwars + Chicken dont change the core gameplay mechanics of the game overdrive etc are things which change the game directly that a game which does not want to change would not port. So BA woudlnt take some of the other stuff CA worked on because they are gameplay changes(Jumpjets/units on fire etc etc). BA ports the majority of the widgets because they dont affect the game but just enchance features that are already there.

And really basic this isnt a thread about CA itself so why the hell are you commenting about that. It shows how much you play CA with your comments and all youve said = Turn CA into SA if you see SA's market share i say no thanks why would the dev's ruin a perfectly fine game

Planetwars on the other hand is to help promote a mod and having a online campaign based around the mod without having to change the mod itself.

And matarife i dont think you are in the position to talk because you havent had hours of your work being taken and ported to some other mod just because the spring community in general seems to have a problem with playing more than 1 mod.

I know XTA players who never particularly liked CA make the effort to play CA because they enjoy planetwars. I dont see why they who shalt not be named cant do the same
People play mods they find enjoyable.
This isnt about SA its about engine restrictions and the location of different players around the world and them trying to play a game together.
El Capitano

Post by El Capitano »

If CA is so flawed, perhaps you'd like to elabourate those flaws? So far you've said mex overdrive (which isn't a flaw) and units are too fast, leading to weird bugs in pathfinding, except that I've experienced no more pathfinding glitches with CA than I saw with BA.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Are there any statistics showing how popular plant wars is coupled with equivilant statistics of non-planetwars games, all presented in a reliable format with no statistical quirks or tweaks to manipulate or over exaggerate any trends? Or are you all talking out your arses?

Unless you can prove what you say, dont say it.
El Capitano

Post by El Capitano »

This week, I've barely been able to have 1 non-planetwars game. Every single evening, when it's been up, the PlanetWars server has been full with another 15-20 or so specs. So many people have wanted to play that we've had stalemates because of teams being hideously imbalanced but nobody on the overpowering team wanted to stop playing.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Otherside wrote:And matarife i dont think you are in the position to talk because you havent had hours of your work being taken and ported to some other mod just because the spring community in general seems to have a problem with playing more than 1 mod.

Your argument is that people should have to play mods they don't like because of a feature? And then you say you can't understand why people won't play CA?

I submit to you people don't play CA because they don't like CA, and that those choices are valid. Argue all you want that people haven't tried CA, but I'm fairly certain by the time people have 100 hours in game they've tried CA.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

its not a feature its hard work put in by the development team so that the mod itself gets played.

and BADSD is the most popular thing in spring and i bet the majority of the forum community agree's that its by far not the best thing spring has to offer, but is still the most played so your arguement fails.
Last edited by Otherside on 06 Dec 2008, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

El Capitano wrote:If CA is so flawed, perhaps you'd like to elabourate those flaws? So far you've said mex overdrive (which isn't a flaw) and units are too fast, leading to weird bugs in pathfinding, except that I've experienced no more pathfinding glitches with CA than I saw with BA.
I didnt say a thing about pathfinding bugs just about how the pathfinding system works.
And yes overdrive is a bad feature.What it results in is people just making a huge queue of energy buildings and leaving it be...
If there is no management of resources required why bother implementing some strange technique involving a graph Oo.
Instead just remove energy converting..Make slight changes to make you m Economy a bit more stable and there you go...combat centric game where you only build energy producing buildings when you actually need them to operate things and build units and buildings.

The faster a mod's pace is the more it is suseptible to high pings,long delays,ping spikes and pathfinding issues.
there are many things to consider about unit movement.
Like hard to predict movement of units because they cant move backwards.
Like the fact on most maps you cant really always see and predict how your units will move on certain map segments and where they can and cant move unless you press f1 all the time.
I wont even mention airplane movement which is chaotic in spring.

Faster paced games are even more susaptible to these problems especially CA with its ultra fast units and high dps/hp ratio.
What happens is that a player can sustain massive casulties cause of the way units move and because he didn't have enough time to correct his mistake.

Lets take XTA for example which is the opposite of CA on the mentioned criteria.
XTA units are slow and generally deal low damage which enables players to retrieve units from battle if the units moved to an unexpected location as a result of pathfinding or the map's heightmap.
So a unit can take an extra missile or plasma shot but since dmg is generally lower compared to the amounts of hp a unit wont die cause bad pathfinding made it move toward the missile and not evade it as the player intended.
So you are punished less and in a more controlled degree which can be reversed.
The slower the game pace is the less influence such attributes have on a game.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Otherside wrote: and BADSD is the most popular thing in spring and i bet the majority of the forum community agree's that its by far not the best thing spring has to offer, but is still the most played so your arguement fails.
I don't like it, but that doesn't mean it sucks. Clearly a lot of people prefer playing BA + DSD just like they preferred to play AA + Speed Metal a few years ago. Something about that map and mod combination makes it their favorite. People are going to play their favorites. Sure, it is over played, but I overplay my favorite maps too.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

So you only have 1 server, that means theirs a low upper limit, because of this limited capacity you cannot make reliable claims. Lots of spectators may indicate curiosity or interest in the game regardless of planet wars. Those are still not hard statistics either. You don't have anything to boast about, and it comes off as arrogant ( and people wonder why CA gets such criticism and ire ).
quantum

Post by quantum »

Dude, give us a break. We didn't boast or claim anything. We didn't start this thread. CA devs don't even announce their work on the forums, most of the time. We're a shy bunch. Planetwars may be a short fad, or not. You decide.

If you don't like our stuff, don't use it and ignore us. If it's good, be happy and stop all the drama.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

XTA players? lol
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Well I love it. Reminds me of boneyards which I thought was a great system, but planetwars also has interesting RPGesque elements. When it's balanced and developed further I reckon it'll be among the most addictive parts of Spring.

Return to “General Discussion”